Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass layoffs at Guild Wars developer ArenaNet

Angthoron

Arcane
Now, I won't jump on the RARGH DIVERSITY HIRE train here, but here's a thing that I do wonder, if someone is so bad with handling stress, how the fuck are they going to handle a lead position in a company that's going through change and restructuring? I'm pretty good with handling stress and actually enjoy that sort of situations, but holy shit this isn't where I'd want to be caught neither for a huge pay check nor for an amazing entry in my CV. That's a burnout and a half waiting to happen to anyone else other than industry vets (which the company does have, and which apparently bowed out).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Now, I won't jump on the RARGH DIVERSITY HIRE train here, but here's a thing that I do wonder, if someone is so bad with handling stress, how the fuck are they going to handle a lead position in a company that's going through change and restructuring? I'm pretty good with handling stress and actually enjoy that sort of situations, but holy shit this isn't where I'd want to be caught neither for a huge pay check nor for an amazing entry in my CV. That's a burnout and a half waiting to happen to anyone else other than industry vets (which the company does have, and which apparently bowed out).

Young people these days (my generation basically) grew up believing they are special, that in spite of difficulties they will prevail. Some people are actually great and might be able to handle shits. But the rest? They proceed to blame the system when it turns out reality is not as sweet as that.

Angthoron

Arcane

Young people these days (my generation basically) grew up believing they are special, that in spite of difficulties they will prevail. Some people are actually great and might be able to handle shits. But the rest? They proceed to blame the system when it turns out reality is not as sweet as that.
Yeah, and then imagine being a lead that's going to lead the same kinds of people and how fucking broken and dysfunctional that's all gonna be.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Now, I won't jump on the RARGH DIVERSITY HIRE train here

Most of these people are as white as snow and aren't even diversity hires. Don't tell me you've been fooled by rainbow hair and problem glasses into thinking that these women are in any way special.

A lot of them are women, but the kicker is that they're almost exclusively hired for positions not requiring any actual technical, artistic, or creative skill—because they haven't got any. That's why I call them welfare SJWs.

If they want to do diversity hires, they should get rid of these flabby cunts and hire some swarthy Mexican men with mustaches and grease-stained t-shirts. At least those dudes would be able to cook lunch and fix the building ductwork and electrics in addition to bullshitting their way through an overpaid cake job.

J1M

Arcane
"Lead Game Designer" is a deceptive title.

At a large studio this title is essentially "Senior Game Designer" as in "Not A Junior Game Designer". It often doesn't even imply the management of direct reports.

For example, you could have several "Lead" designers on the same game, where one is the lead quest designer, another is the lead combat designer, lead monetization designer, lead multiplayer designer, etc.

These people generally report to a Design Director or Game Director depending on the size of the project.

Angthoron

Arcane
"Lead Game Designer" is a deceptive title.

At a large studio this title is essentially "Senior Game Designer" as in "Not A Junior Game Designer". It often doesn't even imply the management of direct reports.

For example, you could have several "Lead" designers on the same game, where one is the lead quest designer, another is the lead combat designer, lead monetization designer, lead multiplayer designer, etc.

These people generally report to a Design Director or Game Director depending on the size of the project.
Yeah, good point regarding "Lead whatever", actually, that's like the "tomato sales manager" from that joke.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
At ArenaNet, "Lead Game Designer" apparently indicates that you have a mohawk and a chip on your shoulder.

Mortmal

Arcane
Weird how the "lead game designer" doesn't seem intent on taking any responsibility for people being fired.
Does she think people are fired at random by throwing darts at a dartboard? Your products suck, as a lead game designer you're a major part of them sucking.
She's more like "Lead Diversity Hire", she worked there for a total of under two months:

Why was she even hired? Is this a joke?
This portfolio is embarrassing for a lead designer at a major studio: https://gaohmee.com/portfolio-games/

Why ?really ? I'd hire her too, one hour or two. As for the layoff they are probably not in the red yet , although with so few releases its worrying. Its more like Activision anticipating 2019-2021 will be awful awful years and a cataclysmic worldwide recession . Unemployed People wont buy so much games anymore then.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
First Activision, then ArenaNet and EA.

Its like thousands voices of purple haired diversity hires suddenly autistically screeched out in terror.
I laughed at first, but then it dawned on me that these companies could be firing coders just to keep the purple haired ones.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Weird how the "lead game designer" doesn't seem intent on taking any responsibility for people being fired.
Does she think people are fired at random by throwing darts at a dartboard? Your products suck, as a lead game designer you're a major part of them sucking.
She's more like "Lead Diversity Hire", she worked there for a total of under two months:

Why was she even hired? Is this a joke?
This portfolio is embarrassing for a lead designer at a major studio: https://gaohmee.com/portfolio-games/

Actually... The Night Of The Rabbit is a pretty good adventure game. And looking at these credits, she did not have any important role in it (?).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I bet she must have sucked a lot of dicks

This vile toxic mascultinity needs to sto.. oorgghhhhllll

Generic-Giant-Spider

I guarantee you four of my limbs she has a choking fetish.

I know a crazy bitch when I see it.

Resraely

Barely Literate
GW2...where to begin? An experiment in sequels that we have all seen a million times in movies, games and genre in general. The problem with GW2 isn't the art, animation, combat mechanics, but: a metric fuck load of forced social / mario hits the "?" box integration on a quest level. Want to improve your char? Sure do 1000 public quests, but oh wait! There's more! The challenge isn't actually about the PQ itself, but about getting to the PQ! Make sure you have atleast a private pilots license, because the ability to travel through a jungle in a paper-thin glider is actually a part of your vertical char progression.

No thanks. Pass. Generic thinking out of the box bullshit with little gameplay 'value'. I want an RPG with no fucking platformer elements. What a stupid combination.

It's easy to realize how this dev was hired among a literal swamp of 'lets think out of the box for the sake of it' type of mentality. It's progress that leads nowhere, and perpetuates creative stagnation.

Angthoron

Arcane
GW2...where to begin? An experiment in sequels that we have all seen a million times in movies, games and genre in general. The problem with GW2 isn't the art, animation, combat mechanics, but: a metric fuck load of forced social / mario hits the "?" box integration on a quest level. Want to improve your char? Sure do 1000 public quests, but oh wait! There's more! The challenge isn't actually about the PQ itself, but about getting to the PQ! Make sure you have atleast a private pilots license, because the ability to travel through a jungle in a paper-thin glider is actually a part of your vertical char progression.

No thanks. Pass. Generic thinking out of the box bullshit with little gameplay 'value'. I want an RPG with no fucking platformer elements. What a stupid combination.

It's easy to realize how this dev was hired among a literal swamp of 'lets think out of the box for the sake of it' type of mentality. It's progress that leads nowhere, and perpetuates creative stagnation.
Yeah, sadly this is the case, they tried to make a game for everyone and ended up making a game for no-one. That, and the open world severely deteriorates after L46 or so. Endgame and expansion zones suck compared to early zones. Sucks very badly, too.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Where there is neither incline nor decline, there is only flatline.

Flatline may occur during your lifetime... in the last few moments of it, on the readout of a heart rate monitor. Only the dead can know peace from this evil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom