Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Being the best seller when there is nothing new in the stores is not something to be proud about. PR retards do love to use those buzz words to sell a few more copies in hopes of getting even. At this point it is used so many times that even retarded fan boyz don't bite it anymore.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It seems like it sold half the andromeda. Most likely around a million,million and a half,big part of it at discount. This must have burned a lot of EA's money. The game is pretty dead at this point,games in this genre eaither make big splash a live for few years or have small numbers and die fast....like lawbreakers. I kind off doubt that EA will just take up the ass even deeper and let the game live for a year or two.

Codex Year of the Donut
Nothing can be inferred from physical copies sold because the percentage of videogames bought physically is rapidly shrinking. For PC it's already overwhelmingly digital(well over 90% years ago,) and for consoles it's already headed in the same direction. It also depends heavily on the game itself e.g., FIFA series by itself makes up a big portion of physical game sales in the UK, with a large majority of FIFA games bought physically. Therefore it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to assume fantasy & sci-fi games would skew in the opposite direction to offset this when you consider the target demographics.

Essentially — We still don't know how many copies DAI nor Andromeda sold. Trying to guess how many Anthem sold is a waste of time. We have some rough figures for DAI and despite the general RPGCodex consensus it did incredibly well from what we know.
For reference: Here's the executive producer of Dragon Age saying that DAI is Bioware's best selling game ever released as of April 20th, 2018.

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Publishers openly share their sale numbers only when there is something to brag about, otherwise you get nothing but PR talk about "strong sales" after numbers get inflated with big discounts.

The best way to judge the success of a game, when you don't have a sales numbers, is to see what publisher does after the release. If they continue supporting the game with patches and expansions you know that the sales were atlest decent or they just cut their loses like with Andromeda.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The best way to judge the success of a game, when you don't have a sales numbers, is to see what publisher does after the release. If they continue supporting the game with patches and expansions you know that the sales were atlest decent or they just cut their loses like with Andromeda.

Andromeda was a special case though, it was clear EA has been funding it very reluctantly, seeing as they pulled the plug on all their other single-player games and fully committed to live service games. So it came very naturally to them shoot it in the head after the launch. They could've been even relieved they can get rid of this last pesky SP holdout without much PR hassle.

What I'm saying is you can't take Andromeda as an example. Very often devs will keep supporting even a game that didn't sell great or was even a flop.

But you're right about braggin - EA always brags when the sales are really good (ME2/3, DAI, Battlefield 1 from the top of my head). Safe to say Anthem sales haven NOT been really good.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
Nothing can be inferred from physical copies sold because the percentage of videogames bought physically is rapidly shrinking. For PC it's already overwhelmingly digital(well over 90% years ago,) and for consoles it's already headed in the same direction.
Also, people doing the math probably use Origin Access for the game. "Games as a service" doesn't only apply inside games nowadays.

Gerrard

Arcane
Publishers openly share their sale numbers only when there is something to brag about, otherwise you get nothing but PR talk about "strong sales" after numbers get inflated with big discounts.

They don't even share sale numbers, they always brag about shipped copies, as if that still mattered. Yeah, you shipped X number and more than half of that was put on a sale by the store itself, because it was taking up space.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nothing can be inferred from physical copies sold because the percentage of videogames bought physically is rapidly shrinking. For PC it's already overwhelmingly digital(well over 90% years ago,) and for consoles it's already headed in the same direction. It also depends heavily on the game itself e.g., FIFA series by itself makes up a big portion of physical game sales in the UK, with a large majority of FIFA games bought physically. Therefore it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to assume fantasy & sci-fi games would skew in the opposite direction to offset this when you consider the target demographics.

Essentially — We still don't know how many copies DAI nor Andromeda sold. Trying to guess how many Anthem sold is a waste of time. We have some rough figures for DAI and despite the general RPGCodex consensus it did incredibly well from what we know.
For reference: Here's the executive producer of Dragon Age saying that DAI is Bioware's best selling game ever released as of April 20th, 2018.

:roll:
It is a basic math,if you know what percent of the market is physical sales and how much they are,you could extrapolate the total sale numbers. If you can't doesn't mean other people can't. Also andromeda sold around 2millions,the number was leaked and extrapolated from date by market experts a while back. Also stop using citation needed for simple google searches,i am not your obione.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Andromeda was a special case though, it was clear EA has been funding it very reluctantly, seeing as they pulled the plug on all their other single-player games and fully committed to live service games. So it came very naturally to them shoot it in the head after the launch. They could've been even relieved they can get rid of this last pesky SP holdout without much PR hassle.

What I'm saying is you can't take Andromeda as an example. Very often devs will keep supporting even a game that didn't sell great or was even a flop.

But you're right about braggin - EA always brags when the sales are really good (ME2/3, DAI, Battlefield 1 from the top of my head). Safe to say Anthem sales haven NOT been really good.

I dont think Andromeda is a special case, even if they wanted to get rid of their single player games they still love money, and if the game was a even a minor success they would try to sell some DLC instead they just put it out of its misery.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I dont think Andromeda is a special case, even if they wanted to get rid of their single player games they still love money, and if the game was a even a minor success they would try to sell some DLC instead they just put it out of its misery.

That's not how this works. A publisher like EA has a certain pool of resources and it wants to employ ALL of them in the most profitable way possible. Diverting even a small part of them into something so anaemic like Andromeda DLC would mean not minmaxing their effectiveness.

It's like minmaxing your character - you CAN put one skill point into Luck and it'd probably help somewhat but you'll get much bigger bang for your buck if you put it into Strength. THAT'S what's behind all the AAA rush into live service gaming.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

That's not how this works. A publisher like EA has a certain pool of resources and it wants to employ ALL of them in the most profitable way possible. Diverting even a small part of them into something so anaemic like Andromeda DLC would mean not minmaxing their effectiveness.

It's like minmaxing your character - you CAN put one skill point into Luck and it'd probably help somewhat but you'll get much bigger bang for your buck if you put it into Strength. THAT'S what's behind all the AAA rush into live service gaming.
That is true,still the DLC were finished for certainty,maybe needed a week of pretend work to push them out. Them deciding that they should scorch earth rather than paying a few retards to pretend working on the dlcs,just shows how much of a flop the game was. And anthem is selling half that...

markec

Twitterbot
Patron

My point is that if Andromeda was a success we would see several DLCs for the game and since it wasnt EA killed the game.

I dont think that making several DLCs would take up massive pool of resources.

EverlastingLove

Learned
Well, it depends what type of dlcs were're talking about. I'm pretty sure making something like Quarian Ark dlc could be costly.

You either make several dlcs or don't make any. Sales must have been not good enough to put more resources into this title.

I'm playing Andromeda right now and it really goes to shit half way through, the writing is atrocious, quests test my patience with all this busywork, character development goes downhill thanks to level scaling - Ryder at level ~40 feels weaker than when she was at level 20. I gotta admit that a lot of work was put into this game, but so many mistakes were made, so many missed opportunities, it's just sad.

Codex Year of the Donut
Worth considering the possibility that no DLCs(even small cash grabs) were made simply because the studio it was made by was merged with Motive Studios.

Dexter

Arcane
if you know what percent of the market is physical sales and how much they are
We don't.
Also stop using citation needed for simple google searches,i am not your obione.
If it's so easy to find citations then provide them.
You can compare two sales numbers from the same source and draw conclusions about larger Sales numbers, they don't need to even be anywhere near exact if they contain the same sort of bias. When you know that for instance Retail Sales in a region are down 75% or 50% or similar, it's probably bad and not just specific to said region. And you gotta remember that console game sales are still largely Retail.

Another way to compare is for instance VGChartz, again they don't need to be the most accurate, but you can compare the trend between two titles in the same franchise or similar ones by the same developer and draw conclusions e.g. look at the numbers per week between BF1 and BFV:
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/110843/battlefield-1/sales
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/110844/battlefield-1/sales
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/221994/battlefield-v/sales
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/221995/battlefield-v/sales

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
My point is that if Andromeda was a success we would see several DLCs for the game and since it wasnt EA killed the game.

I dont think that making several DLCs would take up massive pool of resources.
Lack of a season pass makes me think they never had any big DLC plans for Andromeda besides the Quarian Ark DLC.

Codex Year of the Donut
if you know what percent of the market is physical sales and how much they are
We don't.
Also stop using citation needed for simple google searches,i am not your obione.
If it's so easy to find citations then provide them.
You can compare two sales numbers from the same source and draw conclusions about larger Sales numbers, they don't need to even be anywhere near exact if they contain the same sort of bias. When you know that for instance Retail Sales in a region are down 75% or 50% or similar, it's probably bad and not just specific to said region. And you gotta remember that console game sales are still largely Retail.

Another way to compare is for instance VGChartz, again they don't need to be the most accurate, but you can compare the trend between two titles in the same franchise or similar ones by the same developer and draw conclusions e.g. look at the numbers per week between BF1 and BFV:
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/110843/battlefield-1/sales
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/110844/battlefield-1/sales
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/221994/battlefield-v/sales
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/221995/battlefield-v/sales
Anthem sold nearly twice as many units in Japan in its first week than the new god of war did. Following your line of logic, we can assume Anthem will sell double the copies of the new god of war.
:?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Robots popular in JP?

1077.jpg

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Robots or not, it has no half-naked cat girls or 5-year-old girls in bikinis to rub using your handheld console, so it's still a win for them.

DeepOcean

Arcane
UK physical data shown Battlefield 1 as weak and Fallout 76 as well with deep discounts on sales right afterwards confirming the games bombed, digital is strong on the PC but not as dominating on consoles besides, there are other titles like Resident Evil 2 that have pretty good physical sales, if Anthem was a success, we would see sales at least beating Andromeda even if digital was growing that fast, yeah digital is expanding but nowhere as fast as people are claiming to white knight Anthem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom