Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
If it takes you that long to win battles, it's because you're not paying attention to enemy defenses.
Enemies routinely have 13, 14 armor on PotD. The only things I have that can approach that penetration most of the time are a handful of spells that I can only use twice a battle.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
If it takes you that long to win battles, it's because you're not paying attention to enemy defenses.
Enemies routinely have 13, 14 armor on PotD. The only things I have that can approach that penetration most of the time are a handful of spells that I can only use twice a battle.

Upgrade your weapons. You can buy legendary weapons as soon as you leave Port Maje.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I tried to wait a bit before giving TB mode in Deadfire a chance but when I did and played it to Neketaka even thought about starting a game fills me with hopeless dread.

I started to feel bored at first battle, where whole bunch of NPC takes their turns for 3 minutes straight and all of them completely ignore you. Digsite was so exiting that in the morning I barely remember how it went. Wanted to try several builds on mercs and ended up completely trivializing everything there with full party. Before the city I did one lowest level ship battle (and I always clean ships in boarding cause I need to test my mercs somewhere) and that was it. Took 10 min but felt like Eternity. Wanted to kill my own crew in the end more than any pirates.

I know system well enough so 95% encounters is never danger to begin with but there is so much of them with so many mobs that no amount of build experiments could make waiting their turns fun.

Of course, I could try to add gods challenges and mods to upscaled PoTD, but impression is too meh to bother.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
I don't know specifically why Infinitron splits threads, but the fact that Deadfire is less popular and a new DLC isn't likely to add a hundred pages of discussion may have something to do with it. I'm not familiar enough with the tenets of Judaism to understand how making the Deadfire thread appear longer would serve them, but given what I've heard about Orthodox Jews and the tricks they'll pull to try and get around not being able to work on the sabbath, I'm open to the idea that it could.

jewboy

Arbiter
bataille said:
I've designed my team to wear the enemies down by killing them with a thousand cuts while keeping at (near)full health

That sounds interesting. Want to share the details?

I can confirm that thread lengths on gaming forums is a very important part of the religion. In fact that is mostly what the torah is about. Muslims have a similar rule, but it is an inverse reciprocal belief structure. Hopefully, Kali, the Dark Mother, will keep on eye on The Balance in all its forms. Well unless Oumuamua intervenes...

Zakhad

Savant
A few bugs in TB still, one very annoying one: sometimes when the Wildgards (?) cast that briars spell (I think when they die after casting it, but I'm not sure) it starts to deal its damage in real time. Painful.

Also there are romances now? Who wanted this? The last thing I need in a game is digital waifus throwing themselves at me based on nothing except the fact I did their stupid quest.

2house2fly

Magister
So how do you tweak stats on POTD to be less spongy? I tried googling it but came up empty.
open the game's data folder and go to...shit I've forgotten the exact path. Something like data>exported>gamedata>global.gamedatabundle. Just opening up the exported folder and searching for "global" should get you straight there. Open it with notepad++ or whatever and search for "difficulty" to find a bunch of modifiers for each difficulty level. Tweak the POTD numbers to your liking. Any future patches may replace the global.gamedatabundle file so I recommend following the modding tutorial on the official forums here:
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103384-tutorial-modding-basic-concepts

That'll let you create a mod to change the POTD stats, and being in the override folder means it'll remain unchanged by patches

So how do you tweak stats on POTD to be less spongy? I tried googling it but came up empty.
open the game's data folder and go to...shit I've forgotten the exact path. Something like data>exported>gamedata>global.gamedatabundle. Just opening up the exported folder and searching for "global" should get you straight there. Open it with notepad++ or whatever and search for "difficulty" to find a bunch of modifiers for each difficulty level. Tweak the POTD numbers to your liking. Any future patches may replace the global.gamedatabundle file so I recommend following the modding tutorial on the official forums here:
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103384-tutorial-modding-basic-concepts

That'll let you create a mod to change the POTD stats, and being in the override folder means it'll remain unchanged by patches

Thank you, tuned defenses and hp down to veteran levels, while buffing damage x2. With TB the game is much better, but holy shit is it a slog at POTD with default values.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
While the combination of Wall of Draining with most anything breaks the game, my single-class Nalpazca Monk has been far more adept at dishing disgusting amounts of damage than my Blood Mage wizard (again PotD solo). Though the Wizard's flexibility is unparalleled, I'm simply having more fun with the Monk.

So my second attempt at the game (now turn based) will probably end in Neketaka's catacombs (not the Old City, but that sepulcher under Berath's temple) because combat is becoming unbearable. I wanted to check out DLC content, but at this rate I'll probably die of old age before getting there. Is it even worth any additional suffering or is it just more of the same?

Anyway combat is way too long and very samey, spam AoE/CC with your casters and autoattack with everyone else (rangers/fighters/monks play almost exactly the same), no number tweaking will change barebones class design (though cutting hp/armor/def bloat in half while buffing enemy pen makes it less of a chore and a bit more tactical).

It's a shame tho, since I quite liked the setting and the whole political power struggle angle of it, game would be quite a gem if not for Sawyer's gentle balancing touch and toothless, inane Eothas' plotline.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Remember that crossover DLC with the DnD show Critical Role? The show just launched a kick starter to make a animated short for it. The original goal was to make 750000$ in 45 days, they get 4.9 milllion$ in two days.

Makes me wonder how much extra sales Deadfire get for that promotion campaign.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Remember that crossover DLC with the DnD show Critical Role? The show just launched a kick starter to make a animated short for it. The original goal was to make 750000$ in 45 days, they get 4.9 milllion$ in two days.

My estimate is that they made about 200k sales total; of those, about 180k were from Critical Role fans, and 20k from fans of the first game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So my second attempt at the game (now turn based) will probably end in Neketaka's catacombs (not the Old City, but that sepulcher under Berath's temple) because combat is becoming unbearable. I wanted to check out DLC content, but at this rate I'll probably die of old age before getting there. Is it even worth any additional suffering or is it just more of the same?

Anyway combat is way too long and very samey, spam AoE/CC with your casters and autoattack with everyone else (rangers/fighters/monks play almost exactly the same), no number tweaking will change barebones class design (though cutting hp/armor/def bloat in half while buffing enemy pen makes it less of a chore and a bit more tactical).

It's a shame tho, since I quite liked the setting and the whole political power struggle angle of it, game would be quite a gem if not for Sawyer's gentle balancing touch and toothless, inane Eothas' plotline.
Once you figure out a relatively efficient tactic given your party composition, you have little need to adjust to specific combat encounters, 90% of the time. Compared to RPGs with good TB combat, Deadfire is pretty weak.

The best part of TB Deadfire I could find was, that it's not RTwP. I can admire the graphics and spell effects without them overlapping between different combatants, and take my time.

They should make a KS to never record their shit again. I'm willing to donate like $10 monthly for them to just disappear.

The Real Fanboy

Sorry to be posting all over the forums lately but Obsidian tweeted about supporting the Critical Role Kickstarter and look at the replies!!!!

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire DLC set in Exandria???

(i know they're probably just tweets, but please let a girl dream) ☁️✨

jf8350143

Liturgist
Well if they can Kick Starter another 5m dollars for Obisidian to make Pillars 3 but with Critial Role characters I certainly don't mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom