Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Curious Expedition 2, the sequel to roguelike-ish exploration game. No more pixel art, now with "graphic novel" art:

ss_595baa83012ca0bfa97baa721bba1ef89acde5bf.600x338.jpg
ss_acd42a5c0e2878a86e3af21a5ae45b15ee272fbe.600x338.jpg

That's kinda interesting. Even though I like Curious Expedition I'm not sure I'd go for a sequel though, the first game's enjoyable but fucky enough that it doesn't really fill me with confidence in the developer, and adding multiplayer features doesn't thrill me. Worth keeping an eye on but I'm skeptical.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
War Theatre, funky-looking turn-based strategy game. Seemingly inspired by Japanese ones like Advanced Wars:

ss_466e5cb8ca6999e6b20cb4d34552554e8e3c4f76.600x338.jpg
ss_1f4df993ac67f60bbe2983f7e1720e1515e9d593.600x338.jpg

War has come to Kasalli. As endless conflict rages, seven warriors discover an ancient power that promises mastery over any battlefield.

From the developers of Mecho Wars, War Theatre expands classic turn-based strategy gameplay with RPG elements. Choose your hero and take to battle in single-player campaigns set in a continent ravaged by ceaseless war. Complete quests to earn perks and unlock deeper customization options to refine your strategy and dominate opponents in online or local multiplayer.

Solid Snail

Learned
I can't believe I spent 20€ for I am Setsuna.
I remember people being hyped for it when it should release, and Square itself compared it to Chrono Trigger, which is one of my favourite game.
Instead, the game is just a boring uninspired piece of software. It screams "I'm cheap and overpriced" all over the place. From the decision to have only locations with snow, which means just cover everything with white, slap a couple of trees and houses on it and bam, you have a new location, to the fact I'm near the end and literally there are two types of dungeon in the entire game.

The plot is like they saw Final Fantasy X and decided to make a bland copy, there's also a blan Auron in it.

I think the name of the studio tells everything about them, Tokyo RPG FACTORY, because really, I'm Setsuna is nothing but a bland jrpg put together with the only purpose to sell it, there's not a single shard of crativity here, it really feels like something produced in a factory.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I can't believe I spent 20€ for I am Setsuna.
I remember people being hyped for it when it should release, and Square itself compared it to Chrono Trigger, which is one of my favourite game.
Instead, the game is just a boring uninspired piece of software. It screams "I'm cheap and overpriced" all over the place. From the decision to have only locations with snow, which means just cover everything with white, slap a couple of trees and houses on it and bam, you have a new location, to the fact I'm near the end and literally there are two types of dungeon in the entire game.

The plot is like they saw Final Fantasy X and decided to make a bland copy, there's also a blan Auron in it.

I think the name of the studio tells everything about them, Tokyo RPG FACTORY, because really, I'm Setsuna is nothing but a bland jrpg put together with the only purpose to sell it, there's not a single shard of crativity here, it really feels like something produced in a factory.
the stand-out qualities of chrono trigger are music, characters (and with that story since it resolves so much around them) and art (grass sprites in chrono trigger are the go-to inspiration for any decent pixel artist). this game doesn't seem to have any of those.

Solid Snail

Learned

I wonder if people will still fall in this trap after Trine 3, which was like 1/3 of a game considering you only play like the intro of the game and after a couple of hours it's done, they never bothered to finish the game. Also I'm curious if Trine 4 will provide the missing part of the story or Frozenbyte decided to forgot Trine 3 and create a new game from zero with a new plot.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, looks like it's a glitch. I see several games (Nidhogg 2, for example) doing weeklong deal but not on the list.

Also, since that floodgate opened, I would be very surprised if there will be a store-wide big sale that did not leaked weeks ago.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
It's weird,at first it said just 8 games on week long deals,then it changed to something like 600+ but when I clicked on that the list has just 5 titles(Ultimate Chicken Horse,Space Waver,Ultimate Chicken Horse soundtrack,Samurai Wish and Cyberlink Audiodirector 8 ultra) and only 3 of them are games

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
American Fugitive, GTA 2-like but with fancy 3D graphics, set in 80s:

ss_bf33873241e642f25ae12817eea048a87bdf4eaa.600x338.jpg

American Fugitive is a modern take on classic sandbox action offering a new 3D top-down open-world single-player experience. Developed by Fallen Tree Games, the two studio founders have extended AAA backgrounds; including titles such as TimeSplitters, Crysis, Black, and Goldeneye 007: Reloaded.

Welcome to Redrock County, a sleepy American town with a booming criminal underbelly.

You take the role of Will Riley. No angel for sure - but not a killer. Yet the cold-blooded murder of your dad is the crime they locked you up for. Fuelled by grief and a burning desire for vengeance, you’ll bust out of jail intent on finding the real culprit.

Once outside, you’ll need to blend with the townsfolk to avoid recapture. Establish contact with the criminal underworld and stay one step ahead of the police dragnet.

Set in the deep south of the 1980s, American Fugitive is a love-letter to the classic movies and games of old.

It’s a race against time, and JUSTICE AIN'T ALWAYS LEGAL.

KEY FEATURES
  • A modern take on classic sandbox action – Rediscover the joy of top-down carnage with stunning 3D graphics and destructible environments, dramatic storytelling and epic car-chase mayhem.

• A mature action game based on an original story – Unravel a plot of mystery, deception and corruption, full of twists and turns, inhabited by a motley cast of law-breakers and law-enforcers.

• A stunning open-world environment - Explore Redrock County on foot on by car - a beautiful and vibrant slice of 80s rural USA.

• Choose the life of a felon - Rob houses, steal cars, arm yourself to the teeth. Just don’t get caught!

• Perfect your driving skills – Put the pedal to the metal and test yourself against time trial challenges and stunt jumps dotted throughout the world, using any of the numerous vehicles.

• A wealth of activities – Whether you’re undertaking jobs for the criminal underworld, uncovering hidden stashes, looting houses, sticking up stores, or fencing fine art, remain vigilant. The crooked cops will stop at nothing to see you back behind bars!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom