Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So, what's the plan?

Work on everything until your brand ceases to mean something !?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Example above is the case of the family with plague. You can "walk away"? Thats your other choice?
How about a quarantine? Or anything else. Nope, just two dumb forced choices and dumb consequences forced out of any other context.

I recently had a funny moment in Deus Ex: HR - The Missing Link.

You know, the part where the game gives you two options: press button a or button b.

Poison gas either kills the prisoners or the whistle-blower scientist. Press nothing and both of them die.

What the game does not tell you is that
there is a third option of just finding where the poison gas is coming from and shutting it down.

It is just absolutely left field. I don't know what is the % of players who genuinely figured that out by themselves and didn't consult a walkthrough. We as players are conditioned to not even trying to think that such options would be available.

And sometimes walking away can be similar choice (see recent Far Cry games). If the game tells you to pull the trigger, vast majority of the players will do that.

2house2fly

Magister
So, what's the plan?

Work on everything until your brand ceases to mean something !?
his plan is to do whatever he wants because he doesn't actually have to do anything

I wonder if "a big bomb" is a coded clue. Did Bethesda get him in for Fallout 76?

Fairfax

Arcane
Narrative Designer/Writer
Company Name Respawn Entertainment
Dates Employed Feb 2018 – Jan 2019
Employment Duration 1 yr
Location Sherman Oaks, California

- Narrative Designer/Writer (contractor) did story work, story/character reviews, and wrote cinematic scripts for Jedi: The Fallen Order. For those not in the know, Jedi are basically spacemonks who use telekinesis, mind control, and occasional bursts of lasersword violence in order to impose their values on the rest of the galaxy.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
vampires / jedi?

MCA?

YES! (the artist formerly known as roqua)

vampires /jedi written by MCA? hmm... yes please.

so, who's the vampire Kreia this time? blind = Lasombra?

:drink:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Oh is Jedi: Fallen Order an rpg!? Is it going to be set around the Rey and Kylo films or is it going to be like Solo?
https://venturebeat.com/2019/02/28/what-star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-is-and-how-it-could-change-ea/

Beyond the details about the panel, the hosts of The Star Wars Show also gave a synopsis of Fallen Order. It has you playing as a Padawan who escapes Order 66, Emperor Palpatine’s near-annihilation of the Jedi that happens at the end of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. As this character, you will “explore the galaxy.”

Puteo

Learned

Called it back in September :smug:

Respawn Entertainment was recently bought out by EA and is working on a Star Wars game. Considering that Titanfall 2 easily had one of the best FPS campaigns of all time I would say that Chris working with them would be a good thing indeed.

Pretty excited for this, Respawn has an extremely good track record and has by far some of the highest quality releases in the whole PC sphere. Very few bugs, good performance, and well-balanced MP on release. Titanfall 2's campaign was sublime in spite of all the edgelords on the 'dex claiming otherwise while failing to name a superior FPS campaign.

It will be interesting to see an Avellone-written RPG made with good programmers and excellent game designers.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People beat me to the Mitsoda comments. Hire him, then you separate him and his wife for the duration of the project. Avellone x Mitsoda Vampires game.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I recently had a funny moment in Deus Ex: HR - The Missing Link.

You know, the part where the game gives you two options: press button a or button b.

Poison gas either kills the prisoners or the whistle-blower scientist. Press nothing and both of them die.

What the game does not tell you is that
there is a third option of just finding where the poison gas is coming from and shutting it down.

It is just absolutely left field. I don't know what is the % of players who genuinely figured that out by themselves and didn't consult a walkthrough. We as players are conditioned to not even trying to think that such options would be available.

And sometimes walking away can be similar choice (see recent Far Cry games). If the game tells you to pull the trigger, vast majority of the players will do that.

Thats the matter of logical consistency of the game world - which should be presented to the player as a feature that is in the game.
You dont need to tell anyone directly some specific option is there - if you make it clear such things can be done during the prologue of the game and first quests.
If it comes just out of the left field for a single quest or some minor event, of course nobody will even try finding such options.

But for all that to work in a plausible way it needs to be logically consistent and not just another forced "moral choice" that is actually fake, because it doesnt provide any sort of realistic consequences because its not logically connected to anything else in the game. Then it turns into just "waah, wah, waaahhh! kill this guy or these people or that guy, waahh, wah, waahhh! Its a moral choice!" shallow nonsense. Which is easier to do then build consistent situations.

Last Far Cry i played was the one with young hipsters on the island and that tribal priestess and it was all so stupid it was insulting. Couldnt really force myself to finish the main story.
So except that i cant comment on any of it.

Again, such options should be presented and or hinted at as the part of the game world. Could be done through talking to NPCs, finding journals where someone experienced something similar, some starting simple quests and many other smaller hints and pointers, even indirectly.

Similarly, the options where you get a twist consequence that is just a cheap binary opposite should be supported by the setting, lore and the writing of that specific situation.
And you cant use those more then a couple of times at most because it makes the whole story into absurd mess.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Brian is probably too busy throwing empty whiskey bottles at his computer screen, because the same guy, who completely rewrote his work on the last major project he was involved in, is now doing the sequel to his only real claim to fame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom