Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Apex Legends - F2P Battle Royale set in the Titanfall Universe by Respawn

Tehdagah

Arcane
How the fuck can anyone say with a straight face that this has good gameplay when it's literally CoD back when it had no movement options.
The game has jumping and sliding, the only thing it misses is the walljumping from Titanfall. So the question is, how can anyone with a straight face say that it is like CoD, when it is not like CoD?
CoD has jumping and sliding

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How the fuck can anyone say with a straight face that this has good gameplay when it's literally CoD back when it had no movement options.
The game has jumping and sliding, the only thing it misses is the walljumping from Titanfall. So the question is, how can anyone with a straight face say that it is like CoD, when it is not like CoD?
CoD has jumping and sliding
He said that this game is like Cod, back when it had no movement options. Which is false.

Gerrard

Arcane
It also had double jumping and wall running until console babies complained.

Squid

Arbiter
Movement in this game is good. I wish it could be more like Titanfall but I can see why they didn't go with that. I can't imagine people doing circles inside buildings and dams and shit trying to hit each other wasting their ammo for a battle royale game. In Titanfall it works well enough, you simply respawn again without teammate assistance.

There's also movement tricks I haven't really pinned down yet. There's a way to make your air-drop glide take you really far with getting close to a surface to land on, hold W, look up and press freelook and you'll boost up again. There's a way to jump like 20% further if you time a jump at the right time in a slide animation wind up but if you mess it up you lose like 90% of your jump. That one I've only pulled off once so far. Sliding and momentum feels great and I know when I have my weapons holster I'm outpacing a majority of players in this game by using momentum well. So I have that going for me. I can 1v3 a lot of squads with a Peacekeeper/Wingman/R-301 especially before people get max level armor. Almost carried two completely fresh people to victory but I couldn't 1v3 the last squad fully. I downed two and by the time that happened I need to heal up and the last guy got me with a single shot and we lost. Felt bad.

Squid

Arbiter
Wait, is this game actually good?
I'd say gameplay, yes. Lootboxes and overpriced cosmetics, no. The game itself is quite solid in my opinion but I of course detest the money making scheme.

If the cosmetics were just sold as is and at a reasonable price, I wouldn't even be mentioning that part. I also liked Dirty Bomb a lot as a game but hated the ways they wanted to make money off of it.

I guess it boils down to what you look for in a shooter, which I will say I'm not awfully picky but I'm not a complete bozo either. I like shooters that are more than recoil control and sitting around map corners. I like games like Dirty Bomb, Titanfall & Apex, arena shooters for these reasons. They're all different from each other but the movement is a major factor for me.

I could do without the hero-class thing Dirty Bomb and Apex do but they aren't awful like Overwatch. I dislike Overwatch's because if you're support you likely contribute less damage to the team (at least from what I've seen of it) and the same goes for other non-offense classes. Whereas something like Dirty Bomb has medics, engineers, assault classes, marksmen, and ammo dispensers which all have the same firepower available gun wise. Of course medics usually have no offensive ability but they can use the same sub machine gun as other people and whatnot. I once went on a 35 kill streak with my healing station in Dirty Bomb and defended an objective mostly alone (teammates weren't great but they weren't dead in the water either besides one of them who was a fairly above par player) and had a total of nearly 50 at the end. I was beating assault classes because I was better with movement, positioning, aiming, strafing etc. Not because they used their Q and one shot me. That's a possibility in those games, sure, but you're not like a Mercy who just has a whimpy pistol to fight back with and you have to hug your tank all game. You can actually hold your own.

Apex shares the same merit that your class/hero/legend/whatever matters less than your actual game skill does. You don't have to play the slightly better legends to actually win. You can use whoever and do the same but you just have a different passive, Q, and ultimate all which have uses in their own rights in this game at least in certain circumstances. Hell, half the time you're not even using most of those abilities in combat and some are better for getting out of combat more often than not.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
6ed7a8d.jpg

GrainWetski

Arcane
Because CoDdlers like their CoD. Some just pretend it's not exactly like CoD because they're ashamed that they're retards with no taste.

Not really you mongoloid. This game is way, WAY harder than CoD. Every 12 year old can be good at CoD. The only reason you think it's like CoD, is because it's fast paced.
Fast paced? Are you playing FPS with your maxipad?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
People who haven't played COD tend to be the only ones who think that it's a slow paced game. COD is twitchy as fuck and it probably peaked at speed with Black Ops 3, before toning it down with WW2 and Black Ops 4.

GrainWetski

Arcane
People who haven't played COD tend to be the only ones who think that it's a slow paced game. COD is twitchy as fuck and it probably peaked at speed with Black Ops 3, before toning it down with WW2 and Black Ops 4.
I never said it's slow paced, but it sure as hell isn't fast paced.

Unless you're only comparing it to the average retarded console FPS trash you jerk off to, I guess.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
COD is probably no more slow than whatever FPS you play regularly, honestly. Black Ops 3 was a rather fast paced game, sad they decided to tone it down with the 4th and mostly remove the vertical movement which was obviously not well suited to console.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Funny thing: Respawn was actually born from former Call of Duty developers. A big portion of Infinity Ward developers left after completing Modern Warfare 2 and started it.
I think Apex is a bit influenced by Black Ops 4 Blackout mode. They basically removed the verticality of Titanfall 2 but kept a bit of the movement such as sliding, just as Black Ops 4 removed the verticality and thruster jets of Black Ops 3.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Game is actually pretty solid now that I've tried it. I've tried other BR games and PUBG was the only I played more than two matches of and I barely even played that game besides randomly joining friends while bored. This is the first one I didn't play for like an hour one night to see how it went and end up uninstalling it.

They should really put this in the games advertising: "The BR game for people who dont like BR games!!". I keep seeing this sentiment everywhere, "I hated BR games but THIS one is AMAAAAZING!?".

What is this, mass hypnosis? Incredibly tasty kool aid?

Anyway at least it has a less retarded name than "Fortnite" so hopefuly it kills it...

Because the game feels a lot more arcady in gunfights than the rest of them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hmmm this sounds like a fake news to me. Is there some actual info on the matter or is this just the devs twatting about it?

ultra loser

Scholar
Hmmm this sounds like a fake news to me. Is there some actual info on the matter or is this just the devs twatting about it?
Remember that it's just number of downloads or accounts, not players online. Probably half of these 50 millions are people who uninstalled it after seeing that their pc can't run it well enough.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This game is already dying.
Views are going down and fast in Twitch. Lost half of its viewers in one month and its constant downward trend.
https://sullygnome.com/game/apex_Legends/3
I already saw this one coming. Respawn is much smaller than the Epic development force behind Fortnite who can push out weekly updates, whereas Respawn's roadmap is strictly seasonal (big update three months each). Respawn can't push out updates fast enough to address glaring balance problems, the constant crashes that alienate a good deal of players (myself included), nor can they put out enough fresh content to keep people interested. Respawn is too small to keep a ball as large as Apex Legends rolling without a good deal of the update-hungry audience leaving, permanently disregarding it as another FOTM game.

Recent security leaks and a plague of cheaters haven't been doing the game any favors either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom