Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum beginner's advice

Piotrovitz

Savant
I went with multiverse for my first run and it was perfectly fine - supports hi-res, no noticeable bugs, couple of char backgrounds added etc.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Following tips are universal:
1. Turn based is generally better.
2. AG is pretty important for AP. STR for weapons requirement and damage. Even if your STR is below the weapons requirement, you can still equip it with penalties.
3. Melee Skill / Any weapon skill is important - because missing a lot is the least harm you could do - critically missing will hurt / kill you eventually.
4. Magic is as good as your magical rating. Some basic magic spell selections are really good - but will become less effective if you have a high technological rating. Without a high magic rating, potions may heal less...and do nothing if you're very technologically inclined.
5. For caster with duration spells like 'Fire Agility' 'Strength of Stone' buffs - they consume your stamina over time. Without a good CON, you're going to faint once the stamina hits negative. This is a bad thing. Try to have blue potions available.

Tigranes

Arcane
Multiverse was fine for me, but a couple people reported weird things going on.

Incendax

Augur
Charisma 20 Playthrough.
Who are the most talkative followers?
I want a whole pack of chatty people.

Egosphere

Arcane
multiverse edition broke in shrouded hills for me. It also had a bug whereby loading some games would make all of your companions attack you.

Egosphere

Arcane
Charisma 20 Playthrough.
Who are the most talkative followers?
I want a whole pack of chatty people.
Magnus Shalefist in Tarant has quite a few dialogues, also connected to a big quest regarding ancient dwarf clan
Franklin Payne appears in Blackroot after you visit Caladon
Geoffrey in Ashbury has a few lines when you visit the ancient tombs
Torian Kel in the ancient tombs has a few words
Z'an in Tseng Ang has a good chunk of unique dialogue when you meet the dwarf king and one of the main characters near the end
Raven in Qintarra has several dialogues with the character, especially on Thanatos and before the end
Loghaire (?) never had him in the party so I don't know, but was told that he has some important contributions in some quests

Find the dog in Ashbury before he gets killed as well. He doesn't take a companion slot and is a good fighter.

PS: Raven and Z'an will not join your party if one of them is already in it, unless you pass a charisma and a beauty check ( I think )
PPS: Your morality will determine which will join you. Torian, Geoffrey, Z'an are evil and won't follow you if you have a positive karma. Others won't follow you if you're bad.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If I may butt in with a question...in the September 2000 issue of CGW page 35 it says Arcanum "is coming with a robust editor". Did that really happen?

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Without a high magic rating, potions may heal less...and do nothing if you're very technologically inclined.
Fuck yeah Arcanum. I always liked to imagine that it's because the more technologically inclined characters are so advanced and integrated with technology that they simply do not believe that all that magical stuff actually works and deem magic as ineffective and obsolete, being firmly convinced in the superiority of technology and science. Like "Magic is fake, so it won't do anything to me".

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Following tips are universal:
1. Turn based is generally better.
2. AG is pretty important for AP. STR for weapons requirement and damage. Even if your STR is below the weapons requirement, you can still equip it with penalties.
3. Melee Skill / Any weapon skill is important - because missing a lot is the least harm you could do - critically missing will hurt / kill you eventually.
4. Magic is as good as your magical rating. Some basic magic spell selections are really good - but will become less effective if you have a high technological rating. Without a high magic rating, potions may heal less...and do nothing if you're very technologically inclined.
5. For caster with duration spells like 'Fire Agility' 'Strength of Stone' buffs - they consume your stamina over time. Without a good CON, you're going to faint once the stamina hits negative. This is a bad thing. Try to have blue potions available.

6. Guns are only as good as your tech rating. Whenever you fire a gun, your tech rating is tested against your target's mag rating. High mag enemies can be completely immune to gunfire if your tech rating is not equally high. If you want to build a tech/mag hybrid, use grenades instead of guns since grenades don't need to pass the mag check.

Egosphere

Arcane
If I may butt in with a question...in the September 2000 issue of CGW page 35 it says Arcanum "is coming with a robust editor". Did that really happen?
Yes. DarkUnderlord wrote a comprehensive guide on terraarcanum. Seemed like that editor was a complete bitch to use, though, which is a shame.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Here's a tip:

If you are playing a dwarf, don't get your clothes singed off. Clothes for Dwarves are not easily found and I was ridiculed to no end for my nakendess by all of the meanies.

Black Angel

Arcane
6. Guns are only as good as your tech rating. Whenever you fire a gun, your tech rating is tested against your target's mag rating. High mag enemies can be completely immune to gunfire if your tech rating is not equally high. If you want to build a tech/mag hybrid, use grenades instead of guns since grenades don't need to pass the mag check.
Hol' up, does this also applies to using a tech-based melee weapon like Balanced Sword? Because fucking hell, it's so hard for my tech-char to have decent THC on those fucking golems.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
be ERYFKRAD , refuse both magic and technology
Is it viable ?
I remember in one of my games (I've never completed Arcanum though) I got bored with my tech build and put all the remaining skillpoints into combat-related attributes and skills, thus converting my character to melee - and we were demolishing EVERYTHING. Actually I think close combat characters are the easiest type to play as and can be quite powerful if developed properly. You should be fine if you stick to it.

Last edited:

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fists are actually a much better weapon than most blades if you equip one of the damage increasing gauntlets. There're even some options for the late game.

Egosphere

Arcane
Fists are actually a much better weapon than most blades if you equip one of the damage increasing gauntlets. There're even some options for the late game.
technical aptitude if i recall right. Sort of assumed that we are talking no magic, no tech items.
There are plenty of neutral aptitude items for each slot. Would be funny if there existed trait that is both tech&magic phobic. Was using bandages neutral? trying to think how to heal such character

even the war gauntlets can do the job if your strength is high

Vatnik Wumao
Hol' up, does this also applies to using a tech-based melee weapon like Balanced Sword? Because fucking hell, it's so hard for my tech-char to have decent THC on those fucking golems.

Yes. Use magical or neutral weapons against the golems unless your tech rating is high. Or just use grenades. Level 1 molotovs tear through them.

Black Angel

Arcane

Yes. Use magical or neutral weapons against the golems unless your tech rating is high. Or just use grenades. Level 1 molotovs tear through them.
Now one thing I'm wondering: does the same logic also applies, but in opposite? Say, you try to cast magic against a tech enemies, like an Automaton for example.

Vatnik Wumao

Now one thing I'm wondering: does the same logic also applies, but in opposite? Say, you try to cast magic against a tech enemies, like an Automaton for example.

In theory yes. Low level spells like harm will barely do any damage to automatons. However, since mag is much easier to raise then tech, your stronger spells like fireflash can still be somewhat effective against automatons and the like, though you will need to keep chugging stamina potions.

There is a reason why lots of people bang on how combat is balanced in Arcanum. Mag protags generally have an easier time of it than techies. Techies also lose the advantage of easy healing without using consumables. Once your tech stat is raised high enough, all spells will fizzle when cast on you, including beneficial ones. Your only source of healing on the fly will be from the therapeutics line of skills, if you invested in them.

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dude, healing as techies is trivial. Just take one point in herbology. Few hours into the game you can't talk to cashier in the fucking techstop without Healing Salves falling out of your pockets. The ingredients are literally everywhere, and you're crafting them in fives. That means you're getting 10 of them after every other wilderness battle, provided you gather every plant you see like a proper arcanum autist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom