Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skateboarding or snowboarding RPG

Bricker

Educated
I'm thinking about genres that haven't got enough love. Namely, sport arcade games like Tony Hawk, SSX, Amped, Skate, etc.

The Witcher 3 angle being purely the narrative aspects.

How cool would it be to make a sprawling rpg where instead of fighting/combat being the main mechanic, it was skating or snowboarding.

Example: Snowboarding

I'm imagining being a character on a mountain resort. You can get off your board at any time, meet people, explore, etc. The whole mountain is yours to explore. NPCs, relationships, side quests, hidden shit, mini games, the works.

Main narrative might be something more serious like a murder mystery on the mountain. You being a first time employee at the resort, have to work with your friends and solve the mystery (while getting sick air).

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I might be down for a totally radical turn-based skateboarding RPG where you and your crew have to fight THE MAN while specializing in totally sick tricks and earning money in local competitions. In the end it will turn out that THE MAN is being controlled by some super greedy capitalist who wants to sell overpriced skateboarding merchandise while forcing all the sk8ters to use his outrageously priced skate parks.

rbenchley

Educated
Patron
So, basically Golf Story or Inazuma Eleven, but with skating/snowboarding instead of golf or soccer? That could actually be pretty damn cool. I really want a baseball RPG game as well.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
I love this idea. Add in a story like the It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia episode where Frank buys Party Mountain, wherein you choose factions and determine the fate of mountain(s).

Attributes
- Strength
Determines how big an air you can get off jumps​
- Dexterity
Determines how quickly you can spin/flip/etc., (how much time it takes to perform each trick)​
- Balance
Determines how easily you stay on your board (how much leeway you have in pulling off a landing, how easy it is to grind, how fast you can take turns without falling over)​
- Personality
It's just like personality in every other game. Speech checks and dialogue options.​
- Tolerance
Alcohol tolerance. Similar to a traditional Luck attribute in that it changes gameplay significantly -- lots of alcohol can make any interaction in game completely different than if you have a low tolerance.
Classes
- Snowboard
Emphasis on pulling off sick tricks
Affinity with other snowboarders, hated by skiers, on neutral terms with sledders, and hated by snow mobilers​
- Ski
Emphasis on blazing speed
Affinity with other skiers, hated by snowboarders, on neutral terms with sledders, and hated by snow mobilers​
- Sled
Emphasis on safety
Neutral with everybody​
- Snow mobile
Emphasis on moving faster than anybody else at all times, but not so great at turning
Hated by everybody​

Sub-classes unlocked later through the game
- Trailblazer (for movement and trick options out in the non-trail parts of the mountains)
- Hotshot (emphasis on flashy tricks)
- Speed Demon (emphasis on moving extremely fast)
- Alcoholic (need alcohol to perform, but can pull off insane shit because of the alcohol)

Can solve problems by...
- winning competitions (races, trick contests, offtrail events, drinking contests)
- partying (diffuse situations and form alliances by throwing killer parties with lots of alcohol and tits) (trick people into fucking up before competitions by getting them hungover)
- persuasion (use your personality and any resources you find [money, alcohol, learning how to please certain NPCs, etc.] to convince people to do what you want)

Last edited:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Sonatine_5_-1477115435-726x388.jpg

Deleted Member 16721

Fight Night used to basically be an RPG when it was made, at least in the Career Mode.

I always wanted a turn-based or RTWP basketball game. True story. It would be cool to somehow be able to freeze time to make a perfect pass but have a 17% deflection chance, etc.. Would have to be RTWP since turn-based would take forever with 12 minute quarters. But still, I'd like to see a game that tries it.

jungl

Augur
I can see this being done in as a mod in kenshi. Have everyone skateboard around the place or roller blade.

jewboy

Arbiter
I think anyone who might want to play such a game would already have much better things to do like orgies with 16 year old girls. Generally group sex with teenaged girls plus opiate drugs or even just pot is way more fun than playing a video game. Maybe the good looking people would like the ugly people to spend many hours debugging code so that the good looking people can have a few moments of diversion between orgies, but...I wouldn't want to write such a game. I recommend/prescribe hourly foursomes between actual snowboarding maybe in the Andes or anywhere with dry/soft powder. And if orgies with teen girls is a thing for you don't forget how lucky you are and how unlucky the rest of us are not to have your life. Not that I'm jealous or anything just because I am a poor old hermit entirely invisible to pretty girls.

Farewell into the night

I think this is a genius idea. Skateboarding or snowboarding RPG sounds cool to me!

Darth Canoli

Arcane
How cool would it be to make a sprawling rpg where instead of fighting/combat being the main mechanic, it was skating or snowboarding.

The genre you're searching to define is an arcade adventure mix.

But of course, because it's cool to add RPG everywhere, it's a snowboarding RPG (as in Retarded Puny Game)

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Perhaps a bit lite in some of its RPG features, but it features character customization, progression, and some pretty tight controls. You can only snowboard or roller-blade, though.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
You could do it with skiing. Far Cry 6, where you play Simo Häyhä as you single-handedly eliminate the patrols, convoys and forward bases of the Soviet 7th, 8th, 9th and 14th Armies in the snow-covered sandbox world of Finland during the Winter War.

Alkarl

Learned
I used to snowboard. I don't remember a single orgie. But if you're going to have them in there, might as well add VR support.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom