Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime PS1 Survival Horror?

Who is more kawaii?

• Hewie

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Hewie

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Hewie

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

A horse of course

Played about 2-3hrs of Countdown Vampires. As expected, it's not very good. Not in the sense of being completely broken or anything, but it simply lacks the polish and balance of the classics, making pretty much every PS1 SH mistake in the book - bad camera angles that can both throw off your sense of direction and mess up your movement between scene transitions, action-oriented gameplay with awkward controls, repetitive music, unremarkable environments and so forth. I'll power through anyway as there are some big vampire tiddies and stuffies.

A horse of course

I "finished" Countdown Vampires...only to discover that you have to play through the game once in a specific way (S-Rank, Normal difficulty, under 5 or 7hrs depending on the source) to unlock a "Special Mode" which is actually a "Story Mode" where all the missing characters appear and most of the objectives from the original playthrough actually make sense. I played about 15m of the "Special Mode" and there are already a couple of new cutscenes and modified enemy placements.

I dunno whether to continue..the game's thoroughly mediocre but I really wanna see the female detective with the big tiddies, and my VPN has been down for two days so I can't just watch all the story stuff on youtube :despair:

A horse of course

OK, C:Vamps is done. What next? Fear Effect looks the most fappable, but isn't it more like a CYOA than a survival horror?

Egosphere

Arcane
SH4 could have been better if they changed some of the enemies, like the monkey men and the 7ft tall burping zombies, into something more intimidating. But the game did have the puppet twins which are my favourite in the series, so I can't knock it too hard.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OK, C:Vamps is done. What next? Fear Effect looks the most fappable, but isn't it more like a CYOA than a survival horror?

It's more sci-fi action game with some spooky elements and light puzzles at the beginning. Later on it has more horror elements, but nothing really scary.

I would recommend Martian Gothic: Unification, really good story and pacing with three characters involved. The beginning is boring, but later on it grabbed my interest entirely until I finished it.

A horse of course

It's more sci-fi action game with some spooky elements and light puzzles at the beginning. Later on it has more horror elements, but nothing really scary.

I would recommend Martian Gothic: Unification, really good story and pacing with three characters involved. The beginning is boring, but later on it grabbed my interest entirely until I finished it.

Tiddies?

A horse of course

SH4 could have been better if they changed some of the enemies, like the monkey men and the 7ft tall burping zombies, into something more intimidating. But the game did have the puppet twins which are my favourite in the series, so I can't knock it too hard.

The burping nurses were introduced alongside the best part of the game though

Imagine this with PS1 graphics and sound!

Latro

Arcane

The burping nurses were introduced alongside the best part of the game though

Imagine this with PS1 graphics and sound!

i like how the devs included the lazy little eye light up for that

Solid Snail

Learned
Fear Effect is absolutely fucking awful, holy shit. It's like Dragon's Lair with lesbians.
I played the first one only and controls are something awful. It's survival just because you need to struggle to control your character, but not in a way like tank controls do, just in a bad way you can't perform what you want.

A horse of course

I'm nearing the end of Disc 3 now. It's so goddamn bad. I think it's one of the most frustrating games I've played in the last ten years.

A horse of course

Alright, FE is done (thank christ). Maybe Galerians or Martian Gothic next.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Alright, FE is done (thank christ). Maybe Galerians or Martian Gothic next.

Dude, trust me on Galerians. I played it for at least...two hours so I know it is good.

Or Dark Earth...

iu

A horse of course

Can anyone explain how exactly I'm supposed to be using tools in Parasite Eve? I honestly don't understand which order I'm supposed to select equipment in, or what I'm actually moving. Sometimes the special effect gets moved, sometimes the weapons stats get messed with instead. It's really confusing.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I am halfway in Daymare 1998, and I have to say that I am enjoying it a lot more than the RE2 remake (I haven't played RE3 remake). It is a very RE experience and they have improved on different aspects (e.g. the inventory system and the ammo scarcity/management), filtering also the bad parts of the Capcom RE implementations. The plot is better and not completely demented as RE, with also same not completely expected twists. The music is also more atmospheric that the RE2 remake.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Try Galerians. Nobody ever mentions it really. Nightmare Creatures maybe too.
Completely forgot about Galerians, thanks for reminding me of that game :salute:

I never finished it, because I ran into some issues with my item management towards the end, but that game was pretty cool as far as my PS1 era sensibilities were concerned.

A horse of course

Alright, finished Parasite Eve. It was ok aside from some the insta-death event after the hospital boss, plus that grueling end boss rush topped off with a chase that makes you repeat the entire fight if you fail it. I wouldn't even call it a survival horror in any sense of the word, not sure why it keeps getting classed as such.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It does feel like survival horror though. It just has RPG elements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom