Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've just tried Nvidia DSR and...holy!!!

Mazisky

Magister
I was playing cities skylines and i'm happy with the game but i wish i could have some antialiasing because there are many jagged edges, the ingame AA is useless and same with forcing it with Nvidia panel.
Then i've tried Nvidia DSR with 4x...wow.

in 20 years of gaming i've never seen a single setting giving so much improvement in graphics, like i switched from low quality to ultra at once. Also, little to no Fps loss.

I know i am late to the party but, if anyone like me didn't know about that, please, try it.

passerby

Arcane
Also, little to no Fps loss.

What ? It's basically rendering 4x more pixels and scalling the image down, 4x DSR on 1080p will perform same as native 4k.

If you didn't had framerate loss, it was only because it was CPU limited.

Last edited:

A horse of course

It's...ok. Before the Rome 2 graphics patch last year it was pretty much the only way to make the game look sharp. It's not as important now that you can enable MSAA, like in Attila.

Mazisky

Magister
It's...ok. Before the Rome 2 graphics patch last year it was pretty much the only way to make the game look sharp. It's not as important now that you can enable MSAA, like in Attila.

I still think than 4x more resolution is much more graphic improvement than any kind of AA. Would you prefere to lower you resolution 4 times or disable AA if you have to chose?

Codex Year of the Donut
It's the most blurry AA on the market. Worse than TXAA.
DSR is essentially just SSAA(the gold standard for antialiasing,) albeit I have no idea what filtering algorithms nvidia uses for DSR nor their driver-based SSAA.
The only major difference is that SSAA uses an evenly divisible number of samples in a grid, whereas DSR allows fractional scaling.

Mazisky
Does Nvidia still offer driver-based SSAA on Windows? If so, you'll probably see better results using that than DSR. SSAA will have less resolution issues(e.g., older games, and games with resolution-dependent GUIs), and probably better performance.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

I still think than 4x more resolution is much more graphic improvement than any kind of AA. Would you prefere to lower you resolution 4 times or disable AA if you have to chose?
It's almost as if downsampling from higher resolution is what best (but most demanding) AA already does:prosper:
You aren't playing at 4x resolution unless you were playing at 1080p on 4K screen before.

DSR is good when the game doesn't have decent AA options and your PC is well above the required specs.

A horse of course

The game looks "good enough" to me with MSAA. The same can't be said of Warhammer 2, which suffers from serious blurring and artifacts even at 4k downsampled.

It's the most blurry AA on the market. Worse than TXAA.

Are you talking DLSS? Because OP is just talking about regular downsampling.

Maybe he used a DSR setting that is lower than 4x while keeping "DSR smoothness" slider at default 33 percent, which does make it way too blurry. I tell everyone to lower that thing to around 18-20 percent. I believe it's not being used at 4x setting because it's supposed to use perfect pixel scaling ratio and thus not need the smoothing filter. Though I'm not sure.
It is a good option to have when nothing else is available but when you can use regular supersampling - go with that instead. It will do the same thing, except increase rendering resolution and keep your monitor res setting at native, keeping image at its most crisp.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
I'm trying to force all kind of AA in Nvidia panel and Inspector but it seems like it doesn't work. (In Cities Skyline, which has no decent in game AA)

I wanted to try to see the difference in quality and FPS compared to DSR :(

tritosine2k

Erudite
it's supposed to use perfect pixel scaling ratio and thus not need the smoothing filter.
Thats a nice recipe for disaster:
Foldback Error

The gaussian filter has little foldback error ( for most values of the input parameter) because they limit the frequencies in the fourier domain used in image reconstruction to the lower frequencies, and thus eliminate the higher frequencies, where more leaking is bound to occur. However, the biggest problem whith these filters is that they also have a larger in-spectrum energy loss, causing substantial blurring to the reconstructed, losing some of the detail that we' rather keep.

The boxfilter and function has a lager foldback error, keeping the potential for aliasing, even in the “antialiased” images. This function keeps higher frequency in the power spectra, which adds to the foldback error, but keeps the fidelity of the images higher. In the separable and the circulable filters, you still see some of the aliasing of the origianal image ( though not as much as was there originally).
Its not smoothing function but effectively a guard band.

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
I'm trying to force all kind of AA in Nvidia panel and Inspector but it seems like it doesn't work. (In Cities Skyline, which has no decent in game AA)

I wanted to try to see the difference in quality and FPS compared to DSR :(
You can't force AA in Unity Engine games, and its own AA methods are crap. DSR is your only hope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom