Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Paradox might be announcing a Vampire: The Masquerade RPG on March 21st, possibly by Hardsuit Labs

imweasel

Shadowrun Returns used to cost 20 dollars and we know it sold about 1 million copies.

Secondly, Steamspy became essentially useless after Steam plugged the holes that they were using. That said, take Steamspy's sales data of newer games with a grain of salt.

Thirdly, Gitelman and Weisman were forced to sell the company after Battletech was released, which really says a lot about how the game performed (not so good).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Come on dude you don't really believe that. The gaming industry is not a seller's market - you get acquired if you do well, not if you fail. You're not gonna see publishers lining up to buy Beamdog and OtherSide Entertainment

imweasel

They wouldn't have sold the studio if it was gushing cash. They needed financial stability, so they sold it.

Obsidian was sold to Microsoft because, as Feargus admitted, they needed money and didn't have enough.
Inxile was sold to Microsoft because, as Brian admitted, they needed money and didn't have enough.

Same goes for HBS.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
2MYSI4b.png

Sure, if they'd sold MILLIONS of copies I imagine they might have stayed independent! Otherwise, capitalizing on your first genuine hit to make an exit is a pretty common business strategy. For many entrepreneurs it's the reason why they found companies in the first place - not everybody is in it to be "indie 4ever".

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Come on dude you don't really believe that. The gaming industry is not a seller's market - you get acquired if you do well, not if you fail. You're not gonna see publishers lining up to buy Beamdog and OtherSide Entertainment
:slamdunk::dontbelievehislies:

versus

:swen: :hearnoevil:

:M :M :M :M

Bethesda Softworks, of course, acquired new investors and a newly-formed parent company in 1999 prior to developing The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, but at that time they were just barely staying afloat financially.

You get aquired for your IP and the possibility you could turn a profit. But it's always super cheap to just shutter a place when they're not in the black.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
A developer that doesn’t have extensive PnP rpg Experience, developing a VTM rpg will more than likely be a disaster (unlike Troika). Good luck with that. Can’t wait to read the codex review. :salute:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I remember being annoyed with a bug in Fallout 1 where some Doctor kept attacking me for no reason due to a corrupt save file. Those Fallout games were too buggy to enjoy. Arcanum and Planscape too. Morrowind too. Might and Magic, Ultima, and Wizardry were pure console faggotry. Porting to the SNES? DECLINE. I am so thankful there are all of those bug free Gold Box games to play or I would have no games to play at all. Buck Rogers: Countdown To Doomsday is the best RPG of all time, and if you don't agree you should.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Yeah but there was something really nice working in Bloodlines whatever it is, I still remember being heartbroken not being able to finish the game and not knowing the patch to fix it for some time. And it was something beyond Venus and Jeanette tits.
Its up there for me with Thief and SShock and its its so fucking janky I dont care, the setting was cool, the quests were nice even if the combat was broken as shit.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
or it actually is a new vtmb-like but the player nosferatu still dresses like a gimp :mixedemotions:

Vatnik Wumao
If it was a VTMB card game with a single player campaign tacked on it would probably still sell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom