Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Exactly. As an isometric game its gorgeous and also the combat feels more tactical and easier to manage.
Ive said it before, the 3rd person view is tacked on and was a mistake from the developers. Game simply looks and plays worse with it and thats a fact.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Exactly. As an isometric game its gorgeous and also the combat feels more tactical and easier to manage.
Ive said it before, the 3rd person view is tacked on and was a mistake from the developers. Game simply looks and plays worse with it and thats a fact.

The OTS view is awful, you can see all low res textures up close (especially Geralt's, duh) and you can't see what's behind you or to the sides, which renders the combat system pointless as the beauty of 3rd person combat is being able to do things you wouldn't be able to in a pure 1st person view (which, for gameplay purposes, is essentially what you get with OTS camera). My first playthrough of The Witcher I always used OTS camera. I didn't finish that playthrough (ended just as I started Chapter 4, but I had completely lost track of the story because I kept dropping and picking the gam eback up). On my second playthrough I went in full isometric and I had a blast.

One of those rare RPGs where I don't want it to ever end.

sullynathan

Arcane
Just finished the first few chapters and I haven't been this interested or immersed in a story in a long time, the whole detective quest line in Chapter 2 was fascinating and the amount of C&C available was quite impressive. Combat wise I think it's absolutely fine. Unconventional, but it works for what it is and it certainly is unique from everything else on the market. Alchemy system is great and appropriately feels impactful on Geralt, especially on Hard difficulty. I honestly have no clue why CDPR bastardized it so much in Witcher 3. Towns and Cities are comfy as fuck with great atmosphere and NPCs seem to have daily schedules (?) If this is the case, Bethesda were seriously BTFO by a no name Polish studio who created a Radient AI-esque system that actually functions, and released at roughly the same time as Oblivion.

tl;dr: Shits good
lets not give the game too much credit here

retinoid

Savant
Just finished the first few chapters and I haven't been this interested or immersed in a story in a long time, the whole detective quest line in Chapter 2 was fascinating and the amount of C&C available was quite impressive. Combat wise I think it's absolutely fine. Unconventional, but it works for what it is and it certainly is unique from everything else on the market. Alchemy system is great and appropriately feels impactful on Geralt, especially on Hard difficulty. I honestly have no clue why CDPR bastardized it so much in Witcher 3. Towns and Cities are comfy as fuck with great atmosphere and NPCs seem to have daily schedules (?) If this is the case, Bethesda were seriously BTFO by a no name Polish studio who created a Radient AI-esque system that actually functions, and released at roughly the same time as Oblivion.

tl;dr: Shits good
lets not give the game too much credit here
Did I give you permission to quote me with your asinine comment you fucking worm?

Literally rape.

Squid

Arbiter
The game's playable in all it's perspectives. Apparently you can play the game fairly well with a touch screen too. It's simple inputs with buttons screen that allow mouse inputs only as well. Who cares?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
The game's playable in all it's perspectives. Apparently you can play the game fairly well with a touch screen too. It's simple inputs with buttons screen that allow mouse inputs only as well. Who cares?
Its playable, but not how its meant to be played. Over the shoulder in the first game is terrible, especially during combat.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Blows my mind that some people unironically prefer the iso perspective in this
OTS is so much better for atmosphere and enjoyment of the graphics it ain't even funny

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
OTS is so much better for atmosphere and enjoyment of the graphics it ain't even funny
Uhm because it plays better?
Game isnt made for OST and it shows.
Atmosphere is there in isometric too genius.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
15217.jpg

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I've clocked the game in OTS mode every time, it's just too beautiful not to. Never had issues with combat.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The original Witcher became really good with the patches, I remember playing the Demo in 07 and it fellt really cheap. years later I played the Enhanced Edition and fell in love with the drak world it's characters and the beautiful soundtrack. The combat however is bad imo.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Uhm because it plays better?
Game isnt made for OST and it shows.
Atmosphere is there in isometric too genius.
But...it doesn't

WSAD plus mouse plays perfectly fine

And I don't have to look into the fucking ground all the time

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Not going to call you retarded because that's not my style, but: how?

CD Projekt RED made the stupid decision of not adding a walk/run toggle, even if I appreciate the fact you can play TW1 without ever using a keyboard. But this glaring flaw becomes apparent in the OTS mode, as you run around everywhere and the movement looks particularly bad, floaty and "quick" in an unnatural way that you simply don't get with the isometric camera. Of couse, this is just my opinion. I have a low tolerance for blurry textures in modern videogames, so anything that obscures them is good for them. In the case of The Witcher, it's a plus because as adddeed says the game is clearly intended to be played in isometric mode.

Still, I like switching between views for taking pics, but it is the movement and the gameplay that ultimately kills OTS for me. Also for reference I'm using a "mod" called FPSCounter you can download in Nexus, it is REALLY awesome as it lets you tweak colors and the like, as well as add ambient occlusion. It IS a bit buggy when it comes to AO (it is especially noticeable in things regarding transparency), but I definitely recommend using it. One way or another, the great thing about The Witcher is how strong the artstyle is, I'm not using any texture packs at all (only a mod for scabbards).

1Mimd00.jpg

7ty2RIK.jpg

I do use graphic mods for Geralt. My playthrough I did it with this face mod. For the next playthrough, I'm going to use a simple eye mod to make his eyes really stand out.

i2eT0VK.jpg

EtN8rxI.jpg

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Even their first build of the witcher was isometric if you watch on youtube. OST is fine when you want to look around, but gameplay is superior with the isometric view. Combat especially.

DraQ

Arcane
OTS is far superior.

It looks better, plays better, doesn't feature weird looking glowy swirlies as walk destination feedback AND retains the cool aspects of ISO UI - namely being able to highlight object names and being able to click on distant objects and have Geralt walk to them to pick them up.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Wrong, wrong and wrong.
Just the fact you say it plays better proves you have no clue what you're talking about.
If the game had shipped without the gimmicky OTS the people comaplning about bad combat would plummet by 90%.

Paul_cz

Arcane
CD Projekt RED made the stupid decision of not adding a walk/run toggle
I see. I actually always played TW1 with walk mod that allowed me to walk. It is awesome.
And wow that face mod looks cool. Geralt does look too weird in default.

sullynathan

Arcane
I always played OTS because that's the only way to play and mixed in a bit on clicking on the floor to move. Combat doesn't change either way because positioning geralt largely doesn't matter and you only need to focus on clicking the cursor to the colored rhythm and occasionally clicking right click for signs.

Paul_cz

Arcane
clicking the cursor to the colored rhythm
On hard the flaming icon is gone and you have to focus a bit more on the right timing. The combat never really becomes mechanically engaging, but it still helps a tiny bit. I enjoyed the combat in TW1 though, purely for the visual spectacle of Geralt's crazy animations. Especially the ones in group style.

sullynathan

Arcane
On hard the flaming icon is gone and you have to focus a bit more on the right timing. The combat never really becomes mechanically engaging, but it still helps a tiny bit. I enjoyed the combat in TW1 though, purely for the visual spectacle of Geralt's crazy animations. Especially the ones in group style.
I know, I played a bit on hard, but when you beat the game twice in a row, you focus less on color timing and more of clicking the mouse at the end of Geralts combat animation which isn't much different at all. That's what I ended up doing for most of my playthrough since I played a lot of Witcher on a laptop.

The combat system isn't very good, but I do remember one interesting battle on my first playthrough years ago kiting one of those drakes or fire breathing monsters in the early game for extra xp. Attack, do igni, run away before the enemies animation starts and registers a hit, rince and repeat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom