Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VI - Now available, so you can sink all your free time into it

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
In CiV6 some units are obsolete before you can even train them. I use a mod that increases tech costs by double at ancient era and up to 6 times in future era, it feels right then.

Do you have a link?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1619615470

I played on epic in civ5 and it felt fine, you had quite bit of room to move around troops and execute manoeuvres with them before they became obsolete, often 30 to 50 turns for most units but the problem is not fixed in civ6 with that at all. Because science/production relation is just wrong by far.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Playing as Sweden right now, doing some research for my guides. Luzur, at least you'll be pleased to know that Caroleans are awesome, one of the best UUs and are the only salvation of Sweden.

Kristina sucks catholic cock, though. Guess they got the balance right.

Luzur

Good Sir
Playing as Sweden right now, doing some research for my guides. Luzur, at least you'll be pleased to know that Caroleans are awesome, one of the best UUs and are the only salvation of Sweden.

Kristina sucks catholic cock, though. Guess they got the balance right.

naturally, best trained army in the western world in 1700's, took a whole 4 nation coalition over 20 years to get us down on our knees.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Production's relation to science is real obviously, but the numbers being borked in civ6 has little to do with 1UPT. Because even if you could train units in 1 turn, the science goes past way too fast. When you take only 6 to 10 turns, it wouldn't matter if you had deathstacks either because you still have to move them, you can barely move them out of your state's borders before they become obsolete.

That's what Marathon was for (in Civ IV) - but in Civ 6 I honestly don't have the patience for Marathon.
Marathon is borderline cheating if used in SP. Since the human is infinetely better at choosing builds and moving units, increasing the sginificance of these two aspects makes the AI look really bad.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Nah, it adds pretty much nothing. Congress is lolrandom and either leads to utter brokenness or does precisely nothing. I guess it makes the game more like a roguelite, in a sense. Weather was supposedly designed with tall play in mind. However, Civ Vi is fully about wide. So if my empire generates, like, 1000 food and some tiles somewhere are adding 3 extra - lol, who cares.

Most new nations are a blast to play. Maori, Inca and Mali are very distinct and cool. Mali a bit less so but it's mostly due to how stingy the map generator is with deserts and they need lots of that stuff. Sweden & Eleanor are ok, though they suffer from mish-mash design. But at least they're distinct enough. The only losers right now are the Canadians - they're painfully pathetic to play and don't offer anything too amazing.

Haven't tried Hungary, Phoenicia and Ottomans yet. Hungary is definitely awesome, though.

So it's for people who liked the basic game, pretty much.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
World Congress in the Middle Ages, when you may not even know half the participants and still obey their decisions is really detrimental to muh immersion. The weather / environmental effects are nice, but more flavor than substance.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
CIVILIZATION!
and then hungary, maori and canada. what's next? jehovah's witnesses?
Why not Mormons/Deseret
(Lead by the wife of one of the actual leaders, too.)
e: Actually no Firaxis couldn't do that because Brigham Young was way too based:
A polygamist, Young had 55 wives. He instituted a church ban against conferring the priesthood on men of black African descent, and also led the church during the Utah War against the United States.

Beastro

Arcane
World Congress in the Middle Ages, when you may not even know half the participants and still obey their decisions is really detrimental to muh immersion. The weather / environmental effects are nice, but more flavor than substance.

What is this stupid mechnic, btw? Is there an option to leave it? I'd only see if as a boon if you could and then find yourself playing North Korea mode the outcast hated by everyone.

I always chose conquest victories in may playthroughs and hated the stupid ideas around a diplomatic victory.

The only losers right now are the Canadians - they're painfully pathetic to play and don't offer anything too amazing.

Well, at least they're keeping us historical~

Pope Amole II

Developer
What is this stupid mechnic, btw? Is there an option to leave it?

Don't think so. Well, diplomatic victory is notoriously slow - two times I've tried to go for it I've won culturally first. So it's not like it's affecting anything that much and it may boost your invasion by lots through providing a 50% discount on all units for 20 turns.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

There's some quality diplomacy IA there.

Edit: the video should start at the moment the player is fleecing the IAs out of their money, through the diplomacy screen.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
CIV AI is bad? Old news man...
Yeah but that IA seemed very stupid. I mean the game has been released 2 years ago and he's selling stuff that the other leader already has, for way more than the selling price of the leader! So he could buy coal at 5 gold and sell it back at 100! It's not even IA, it's just the diplomacy exchange script which is completly broken

Gerrard

Arcane
This is the game where you could buy units cheaper than sell them so why would anyone be surprised.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I can't understand why Alpha Centauri AI is still better than ALL followup Civ Ais combined.
I mean my only complain to AC AI is that it build faulty designes of units and was overly aggressive early on. But then, when power parity was established AI offered reasonable deals, proposed to attack targets and coordinated their actions.
How could we fall so low?

Cael

Arcane
I can't understand why Alpha Centauri AI is still better than ALL followup Civ Ais combined.
I mean my only complain to AC AI is that it build faulty designes of units and was overly aggressive early on. But then, when power parity was established AI offered reasonable deals, proposed to attack targets and coordinated their actions.
Same thing with Ultima 7. There are no comparable RPG since.

And same with Mechwarrior 2 - Mercenaries. There has been no comparable Battletech game, Mechwarrior or otherwise, since.

Too many console and MMO twerps to service and too many Selfish Jerkass Wankers to pander to.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Simple,Brian Reynolds actually understood his own game mechanics and could play the game well probably.That meant he could actually make a half decent ai based on his own experiences.
Firaxis ,paradox and most modern 4x developers don't have a clue how to play their own game.
You can't make a good ai if the people making it are bad at the game.

Mortmal

Arcane
What i dont understand is why civ 6 last expansion is so expensive for so little new features... There's really not much more happening, river flooding nice but not a real game changer, volcanoes same, a few disaster.Sea rising ? hardly a game changer either unless you make a custom scenario for it.

flyingjohn

Arcane
There is a bug where pillaged districts loose their bonuses permanently.
Gee,i hope there isn't any random event or disaster that pillages your territory?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom