Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallen Dungeons - real-time grid-based dungeon crawler

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.fallendungeons.com

ss_53fc0654cf2156d8c00481d0ed231c9596ef68ba.1920x1080.jpg

Yet another real-time blobber, from UK team. I can't find anything sets this apart from other Grimrock-likes, maybe eh, more pretty graphics. Early Access FAQ vaguely mentions some "Dark Souls mechanic" but does not explain what it is. (Message system? Approach to storytelling? Death system?)

Fallen Dungeons is a grid-based dungeon crawler which melds modern aesthetics and mechanics with old school game design.

Adventurers seeking refuge from the storm find themselves drawn in to an expedition to a remote peninsula where promised treasures await inside a forgotten Keep. Once the party have gained entrance they realise that not all is as it seems within its walls. A dark magic appears to have engulfed the Keep and new factions of creatures have taken up refuge. If the party wish to survive they must delve deep into the bowels of the Keep and uncover what secrets it holds.

At its core Fallen Dungeons resurrects the classic dungeon crawler games of the late 80s and early 90s. With real time melee combat, spell systems and tile-based movement the player is immersed in the challenge ahead. The Keep contains many devious secrets and puzzles which make progress more challenging and engrossing. On your journey you will meet many different creatures, and maybe a few stranded souls, each with their own tactics and motives. As the story progresses you will venture into different locations, each tailored to challenge the player and reward the brave.

Play Fallen Dungeons today and start your quest into the depths!

Key Features
  • Explore the depths of the Keep and other environments. Intricately designed levels span huge spaces (up to 40x40 tiles).
  • Rune based spell systems. As your spellcasters gain experience from combat they will increase their knowledge of the arcane arts, becoming formidable allies as the adventure unfolds.
  • Medicines and potions can be crafted with materials found scattered throughout the world.
  • Traditional monster designs inspired by classic myths and legends make menacing foes.
  • Create your own party of four characters. Customise each member with your selection of race, class, gender and appearance.
  • Submerse yourself in a more believable world which uses real time physics to enhance the experience.

Why Early Access?
“The game has progressed to the point where community feedback would be very valuable. We have a few fundamental aspects of the game which need discussion, mainly around our "Dark Souls" mechanic and auto-mapping. We are also very keen to hear the experiences of our early adopters to make sure our game is as good as we can make it. Your input could make all the difference!”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“At this point we are thinking approximately six months until full release.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“No fundamental changes will occur during this process other than adding a lot more content. We have the game fully mapped out, we just need to finish the world building. More time and some funds coming in (being honest) is what is needed at this point.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“We have a fully playable game with all mechanics working as required. We are spending most of our time now on the world building and pacing of the story. Both these aspects require lots of art assets creating so they are time consuming.

A quick summary of the segments of the game that are playable -
  • Team creation - pick your party to take on the dungeon (1 to 4 members allowed).
  • Full 2d intro setting the scene for the start of the game.
  • First 6 large levels are fully playable with multiple encounters and items to discover.
  • Real time combat and spell casting with clever AI.
  • Character stats and leveling up.
  • Crafting potions and medicines.
  • Traps and puzzles to conquer.
As further changes and improvements are made they will be released during the early access stage so they can be reviewed by you guys.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“No, we fully intend to keep the price the same before and after full release.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“We have a couple of mechanics which we would like people to review and discuss with the community (hopefully). Obviously all feedback on the current build of the game is also very valuable to us. If you want to help steer our product please get involved now, your ideas are very welcome! We will be setting up a forum on our website (fallendungeons.com) in the near future for the community to get involved. Stay tuned!”

Last edited by a moderator:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another real time crawler that looks almost exactly like Grimrock?

Ok. When do they finally start cloning Might and Magic and Wizardry rather than step dancing simulator #65934?

V_K

Arcane
I can't find anything sets this apart from other Grimrock-likes
Well, the trailer mentions NPCs...
When do they finally start cloning Might and Magic and Wizardry
Well, we've had a couple but none of them was a financial success even on the level of Grimrock 2. Let's see how Operencia fares - although given no Steam on release, I doubt it'll be a smash hit.
Although, making a Grimrock clone in the current year is also more than a little bit optimistic.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
At its core Fallen Dungeons resurrects the classic dungeon crawler games of the late 80s and early 90s.

P sure this genre has been resurrected to death already.

Only way I'm playing another one of these is if it has a meaty character system. Grim Rock was shallow, and so was the rest of the shit I've played that I can't even name off the top of my head.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
At its core Fallen Dungeons resurrects the classic dungeon crawler games of the late 80s and early 90s.

Only way I'm playing another one of these is if it has a meaty character system. Grim Rock was shallow, and so was the rest of the shit I've played that I can't even name off the top of my head.

Ye the issue is that a lot of these just clone Grimrock, which is a clone of clones in the first place. And the Dungeon Master lineage of RPGs has never been heavy on the character system, they have always been rather light, with a focus on puzzles.

Barbalos

Savant
I don't care for real-time grid based blobbers, at all. I want 100% turn-based grid-based. This game here seems extremely generic as well. And now Operencia is Epic store only, it better be cheap at least, for the inconvenience of signing up with that.

Cross

Arcane
Why don't any of these developers make a game that plays like Dungeon Master out of combat, but upon encountering an enemy, transitions to Wizardry-style turn-based combat?

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Why don't any of these developers make a game that plays like Dungeon Master out of combat, but uppon encountering an enemy, transitions to Wizardry-style turn-based combat?
7 Mages does just that. Well, that and also you can move your party members independently in combat.

Ye the issue is that a lot of these just clone Grimrock, which is a clone of clones in the first place. And the Dungeon Master lineage of RPGs has never been heavy on the character system, they have always been rather light, with a focus on puzzles.
Well, LoG2 has a pretty decent char system I'd say. Not a grognardy as Wiz7 or RoA, but on par with M&M6-7.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom