Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo released on GOG

Swigen

Arbiter
I take back what I said, game fuckin’ sucks. I made it down to level 3 of the labyrinth when I came across Leoric’s Tomb and I thought to myself, “huh, I thought the Butcher came first”. Then I started thinking how when I played it back in the day there was a dying soldier in front of the cathedral that triggers the butcher quest and THAT was missing too! AND THEN I went up to town and nobody was talking about the Butcher OR Leoric, I thought that was weird but I went down and killed Leoric anyway. Went back up to town and STILL nobody said nuthin’! So I got no butcher and I killed the skeleton king with NO CONTEXT for my actions!! I looked it up and apparently quests are randomized! What a piece of shit!

I can’t even, I’m literally shaking right now!

Neanderthal

Arcane
If I remember right Butcher quest usually spawns along wi poisoned well quest, so if you don't see yellow water in we'll you might want to restart.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You probably missed the cave to complete the yellow water quest?

I don't remember quests being randomized at all, but i haven't played the game in a LONG time.

Generic-Giant-Spider

D1 has some randomized quests, it's true. You tend to know what you have at the start if you see the town fountain have a sickly color you have the diseased water, if you see the dying townsman then you have The Butcher.

I believe the only quests that aren't thrown in the randomized pool are: Chamber of Bone, Archbishop Lazarus and Diablo.

I forget if you count it as a quest or not, but the Slain Hero event in The Caves may also always be in your game regardless of your quest grouping.

glasnost

Augur
Has anybody tried running this with Linux/Wine?

I did a revisit/runthrough of the game some time last year. There is a long-standing wine bug where the menus aren't rendered--you have to memorize the correct incantation of arrow keys and carriage returns to get into the game--which then plays without further issue.

I'd consider buying the gog edition if it has zero wine issues, otherwise it's not worth it since I can already play it right now If I really want to.

Arulan

Cipher
I bought it. I'll probably end up buying WarCraft and WarCraft II as well. I support this move by Blizzard and GOG.

The buildup to the Butcher is just fantastic in this game. I had a great time playing on Battle.net with friends tonight.

Generic-Giant-Spider

It's all fun and games until Generic-Giant-Spider rolls up in your game and begins dropping Godly Plates of the Whale and Obsidian Rings of the Zodiac.

glasnost

Augur
Come to think of it, Diablo might have my favorite music in any game. It's the choice of instruments. No orchestral bombast. He kind of blew it with Lord of Destruction, but those five tracks in the first game are all unique.

Matt Uelmen's contribution is probably the first thing that comes to mind when I reminisce about playing this game.

Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
Alredy asked this in the Gog thread but no one replied :

Is Diablo I or ToME worth more in game content and replayability ?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

They are different enough that I don't think they should be compared, but ToME has significantly more content and, strictly from the point of view of it having more variety of builds and classes and so on, greater replayability. In terms of visual, ambient design, attention to detail, and all that stuff Diablo blows it away, ToME is a very ugly game overall. One playthrough of Diablo will leave as much impression as 20 ToME playthroughs, but ToME is very much a game worth playing at the very least 20 times.

Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected

They are different enough that I don't think they should be compared, but ToME has significantly more content and, strictly from the point of view of it having more variety of builds and classes and so on, greater replayability. In terms of visual, ambient design, attention to detail, and all that stuff Diablo blows it away, ToME is a very ugly game overall. One playthrough of Diablo will leave as much impression as 20 ToME playthroughs, but ToME is very much a game worth playing at the very least 20 times.

Thanks . I would mark this post as informative .

Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
ToME is a very ugly game overall.

6A3D481019CC52332C40F0BE2812805C577822CB

With or without any custom tileset ?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Don’t give blizzard ideas; not like I’d buy immortal anyways. China might go all anime chibi shit for it.
cute_but_deadly_diablo_by_norsechowder-d7t17gg.jpg

necro-skellie-Matteo-Baccan.jpg

ZZTWLP53W3611365709115462.jpg

diablo3_all_female_character_by_ulsae-d5ak7bp.png

my_little_diablo__andariel_by_masterrottweiler-d5sj3ll.png

satanic-clipart-angel-demon-6.jpg

The new blizzard immortal. How gay can Diablo get?

typical user

Arbiter
If I remember right Butcher quest usually spawns along wi poisoned well quest, so if you don't see yellow water in we'll you might want to restart.

Not true I believe. Besides if you want 100% to be sure just look for massacred person in front of the church, he actually gives you the quest to kill the butcher. It's only 30 seconds trek.

Or try HD Mod, it allows you to play with all the quests and even those which were left on cutting room floor like Demonolog in Horazon domain, Andariel in woods and The map of all stars which massively buff Diablo if you run out of time.

Swigen

Arbiter
I think it’s kinda neat they randomize quests ‘cause it hearkens back to its rogue-like influences. I haven’t looked yet but it’d be cool if there were mods that randomized even more elements like what potions do and whatnot.

grom

Educated
I tried Diablo as a warrior a few months ago and found it to be deadly boring. Is the game more interesting if you play as the other classes, or is it just not for me?

glasnost

Augur
I enjoyed playing as a "naked mage," selling everything apart from a few vitality bonus items to prevent exploiting the mana shield bug. There was a sort of zen in selling everything one found, and in the more deliberate pace of baiting enemies in small groups.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
I tried Diablo as a warrior a few months ago and found it to be deadly boring. Is the game more interesting if you play as the other classes, or is it just not for me?

I felt the same back in the day when I played it. I borrowed it from a friend and could not bring myself to play it past the first few levels.

So, it is not for you, and there is nothing wrong with that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom