Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Why is there no Internet(or INSERT TECHNOLOGY HERE) in Fallout?

Lurker47

Savant
Obviously the answer for why "x" isn't in Fallout is because of the whole retrofuturism style but I wonder if for specific cases, there's a bunch of lore buried deep in the Fallout Bible, interviews, or whatever that points to an in-universe answer (which I can't bother to find)

Is there any specific reason why the Internet in Fallout seems not to have developed past Email.

Lurker47

Savant
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/LIBCOMP.MSG
{104}{}{You spend some time on the interweb doing nothing of importance.}
So I imagined that this thread would be for other inventions but they all seemed easily explained away now that I did two seconds of research.

Now I'm wondering how the Internet even came about at all? Give the lore I literally just learned, the concentration of technological development into mostly government hands and the delayed invention of transistors make the Internet existing at all seem weird now. Would it be like, a state-sponsored Internet? Seems very Chinese- it's fitting.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well the internet most likely existed in fallout,but for it you need infrastructure like cables. Pretty hard to do after a nuclear war. You do frequently find emails and other shit on PCs in the games.

Incendax

Augur
Same reason nobody seems to touch random computers, and they all conveniently have information from right before the apocalypse.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Same reason nobody seems to touch random computers, and they all conveniently have information from right before the apocalypse.
I want a HDD as theirs! Working for 100 years straight,during a nuclear fallout and having almost no problem,that is a next level technology.
:desu:

Last edited:

Barbalos

Savant
Now I'm wondering how the Internet even came about at all? Give the lore I literally just learned, the concentration of technological development into mostly government hands and the delayed invention of transistors make the Internet existing at all seem weird now. Would it be like, a state-sponsored Internet? Seems very Chinese- it's fitting.

Well the creation of the internet was heavily spurred by US government, so it wasn't too far off from being a state-sponsored internet, at the time.

The Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET) was an early packet-switching network and the first network to implement the TCP/IP protocol suite. Both technologies became the technical foundation of the Internet. The ARPANET was initially funded by the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) of the United States Department of Defense.[1][2][3][4][5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET

Mortmal

Arcane
Well the internet most likely existed in fallout,but for it you need infrastructure like cables. Pretty hard to do after a nuclear war. You do frequently find emails and other shit on PCs in the games.
No need of cables ! You could use packet radio VHF and download stuff using BBS. You used to download games on your tapes like this, took ages, but it worked.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tapes remained futuristic well into the 90s. There is a pretty cool looking tape robot in the background in Clear and Present Danger (1994), a decent Tom Clancy adaptation btw:

DrxD5nl.png

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Because cultural decay and stagnation.
People were all cogs in the great military industrial complex wheel. No need for an internet when you can have military and corporate intranets.

Tigranes

Arcane

Minitel was hilarious. Minitel rose - the saucy chatroom style sites like the one above - became so popular that at one point in the late 80s you could see giant ads for them in offline Paris:

640x410_illustration-minitel-rose.jpg

More for Lurker47 - in real history the Internet flirted very closely with state-sponsored or regionalised Internets, and this continues to be a theme today. I'm simplifying here, but the Internet as we know it began very much in close relation with US military interests (see the ARPANET stuff above), but not only that, other countries were so wary of an American Internet becoming a global standard that the French government explicitly funded the Minitel above as a French alternative, and Russians have intermittently been trying to regionalise the net for decades.

The French were so insistent at this that the gov paid massively up front to create the infrastructure, essentially funding it as an upgrade to the national telephone network, and then gave a free terminal to every French phone subscriber (there was a pay as you go model afterwards, where you were billed like you'd be billed phone calls). And the network protocols they used were fundamentally different as well.

The whole Huawei/5G scares you see now is just a reprisal of that. So basically, the Internet's current form as American-invented global relatively decentralised thing was never really guaranteed, and even in real history we might still see more regionalisation and state control - so in conditions like Fallout's setting, where the post-war international order breaks down very quickly, there's no wonder that you get relatively closed network infrastructures but not Twitter.

I am pretty surprised seeing people not knowing that Internet creation was state sponsored. Do you really imagine corporations spending millions of dollars on something that may never become profitable and even if it would, it would still take decades to do so? If we would let corporations sponsor our technological/science development, the technological/science development would stop.

Mortmal

Arcane

Minitel was hilarious. Minitel rose - the saucy chatroom style sites like the one above - became so popular that at one point in the late 80s you could see giant ads for them in offline Paris:

640x410_illustration-minitel-rose.jpg

More for Lurker47 - in real history the Internet flirted very closely with state-sponsored or regionalised Internets, and this continues to be a theme today. I'm simplifying here, but the Internet as we know it began very much in close relation with US military interests (see the ARPANET stuff above), but not only that, other countries were so wary of an American Internet becoming a global standard that the French government explicitly funded the Minitel above as a French alternative, and Russians have intermittently been trying to regionalise the net for decades.

The French were so insistent at this that the gov paid massively up front to create the infrastructure, essentially funding it as an upgrade to the national telephone network, and then gave a free terminal to every French phone subscriber (there was a pay as you go model afterwards, where you were billed like you'd be billed phone calls). And the network protocols they used were fundamentally different as well.

The whole Huawei/5G scares you see now is just a reprisal of that. So basically, the Internet's current form as American-invented global relatively decentralised thing was never really guaranteed, and even in real history we might still see more regionalisation and state control - so in conditions like Fallout's setting, where the post-war international order breaks down very quickly, there's no wonder that you get relatively closed network infrastructures but not Twitter.
Indeed a free terminal, and the quality of the terminal was proportional to his price, total shit :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom