Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What it takes to be succesful rpg journalist?

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
I guess you must finish some journalism studies. Your writing style should be sharp and concise, clear and without unnecesary ramblings.

You should also have knowledge of various rpgs, both in theory and practice.

I guess you must finish some journalism studies. Your writing style should be sharp and concise, clear and without unnecesary ramblings.

Fucking journalism degrees, man. Back in the day, journalists used to have a degree in something (political sciences, philology, law or whatever), knew how to synthesize information and make catchy headlines, and even though they already were manipulators working for the highest bidder, they were able to emit an informed opinion on a subject or two.

Nowadays they are clueless dolts who think that a degree in journalism automagically makes their opinions "informed", while the hoi polloi keep them on a pedestal because they are journalists, and that profession has been given the image of paragons of virtue by Hollywood.

In short, get a real job or start your own blog/youtube/bitchute channel. Videogames journalism isn't long for this world.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
Back in the day, journalists used to have a degree in something (political sciences, philology, law or whatever), knew how to synthesize information and make catchy headlines, and even though they already were manipulators working for the highest bidder, they were able to emit an informed opinion on a subject or two.

Yeah you're right. Journalists now are fucking cunts looking for sensation everywhere. In some countries they get killed too, but I guess nobody would get killed for criticaly shaped video game article.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
1450759466-f1aa1938232fa614c09e7d3529d19e8f.jpeg

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Autism help in every case for rpgs tbh. Whether you are developing, reviewing, streaming, etc.

Well maybe except marketing but then again you market rpg for autists too most of the time

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

What will be the next thread you make,what do you need to be a successful homeless guy?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

What will be the next thread you make,what do you need to be a successful homeless guy?
I take it you'd be willing to share some tips and tricks?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Swigen

Arbiter
What does it need to be a succesful RPG tard?
thinking.png

Buy Underrail. Get stuck and quit at the tutorial mission ‘cause you didn’t put any skill points into “lockpicking”.

Money spent: $15
Total playtime: 10 minutes

Buy ATOM. Finally procure a firearm only to quit when you realize you don’t have enough strength to wield it properly.

Money spent: $15
Total playtime: 1 hour

Buy Kenshi. Quit immediately ‘cause like, WTF am I ‘sposed to do?

Money spent: $30
Total playtime: Like 5 minutes

Buy Grimoire Heralds of the Winged Exemplar. Quit immediately when you realize you have to make your own maps.

Money spent: $10
Total Playtime: Like 2 minutes.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
There can be no video games journalism because there is nothing in video games that is worth writing about. You can't do any investigative work and "news" are pretty much just marketing press releases.

Go start a gaming youtube/twitch channel instead.

aeroaeko

Learned
Lots of practice suppressing your gag reflex, if you get what I'm saying.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Praise everything with progressive values and write hit pieces on developers who refuse to bend the knee. Remember to publicly shame them on twitter in between articles.

Strong writing in English, being comfortable in a WordPress environment, and can commit to contribute in a regular basis are a must.

Also this will be an unpaid position. If you think you have the talent and dedication to hop on board something new and exciting in the gaming community, Contact us at r.casella10 @ gmail.com and tell us about yourself.

vazha

Arcane
As FritzedProcess rightly mentioned, an overwhelming majority of good journos don't have journalism degree but come from some other field that they later specialize in as a journalist, building on amassed background knowledge.

In short, what makes good journalism is (including gaming ones):

1. Background knowledge on things you're writing about - you should be seeing the whole perspective, the bigger picture, bottom lines and so on.
2. Be subjective, if you must and feel strongly about the subject, but never be appeasing. Give the interviewee hardest time you're able to. Even if its a paid content - in fact, well-answered questions go a long way into promoting whatever you've been paid to write about.
3. Know your audience and spin your story the way that evokes the strongest feelings in them. Dont do clickbait, do not sensationalize - What you want is not people merely reading your stuff, but a back-and-forth discussion. That's when you know whatever you wrote/said/filmed matters.

I agree with those points^ but most importantly of all, you can't be motivated by money or fame or politics or looking to impress people or rub shoulders. Your satisfaction for what you do should be in the quality of your work, speaking the truth and informing people of what they want and need to know.

And yes I'd rate my own post fabulously optimistic if I could

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom