Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Emperor of Nothing [40k CYOA]

oscar

Arcane
A

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Tau would be good allies, because their government is generally very much all on the same page, and the Tau are honestly kinda "naive". They also have a good notion that the Imperium can smash them like a bug if it ever means to. I do think they are the least useful ally, because they're very much local, small and limited to the Ultima Sector and at best, their link with that place near Calixis I don't remember right now.
Sure, but let Tau in and they'd gue'vasa everyone they can get away with.

Baltika9

Arcane
The Tau would be good allies, because their government is generally very much all on the same page, and the Tau are honestly kinda "naive". They also have a good notion that the Imperium can smash them like a bug if it ever means to. I do think they are the least useful ally, because they're very much local, small and limited to the Ultima Sector and at best, their link with that place near Calixis I don't remember right now.
Sure, but let Tau in and they'd gue'vasa everyone they can get away with.
And they're total prudes. There are not a whole lot of benefits to allying with them, really.

LogOS

A) Accept an alliance with the Eldar and hear out the Tau and Necron offers without offering compromise.

B) Hear out all xenos’ offers without offering any compromise.

C) Ignore the xenos’ offers; they are devious and not to be trusted, able to become an ever greater threat than chaos.

Hmmm... so Ynnari, Taus and Necrons.

Of the three, I would trust the Necrons the least.

The Eldar, especially the Ynnari, are pretty useful. They got Roboute back, after all. That said, they are tricky sorts who do a lot of weird shit for reasons we cannot comprehend because they can see the future. The Craftworlders were always the closest thing to "good Xenos" the Imperium ever met. The Eldar need the Imperium to be their shield against more powerful, and if the Imperium were to fall, they would go shortly after.

The Necrons are divided, but powerful. Really, really powerful. Their tech is the best tech in WH40k, bar none. The fact they're divided and still waking up is the only reason they are not in charge. Problem is, the Necrons have interest in the fleshy mortals for the same reason a farmer has interest in his cattle - livestock. They see us fleshbags as useful to do another biotransference.

You have an almost exactly perfect evaluation of the situation, bar two things:

1) The Necrons want living beings in the galaxy, yes, but they dont need human bodies to biotransfer back into. they just need need livable habitats, their tech is more than advanced enough to create organic hosts.

2) DAoT humans are superior to necrons in Tech in this scenario.

Neanderthal

Arcane
C.

The Eldar birthed Slaanesh, the Eye of Terror, and probably the Cicatrix Maledictum. Their every act harms the galaxy, no species has sown so much evil through their arrogance.

The Tau have committed numerous crimes against humanity, the Emperor would never deal with such abominations. Neither should Girlyman, who in the great crusade eradicated many such foul Xenos species.

The Necron are far too dangerous, their tech exceeds anything else in the galaxy. Indeed the Abominable Intelligences that sparked the rebellion of the Men of Iron and the loss of the STC's may well have been tainted by the Void Dragon of Mars. Shun these foul things lest they do humanity even more harm, the Pariah gene may already have originated from their contact with early man, no more.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What's this about no compromise? What would be compromised with the eldar depending on a or b ? Why can we not compromise with tau/necron ?

LogOS

What's this about no compromise? What would be compromised with the eldar depending on a or b ? Why can we not compromise with tau/necron ?

You can. A and B leave open the possibility for treaties/compromises with all the non-hostile Xenos races.

Baltika9

Arcane
Jokes and memes aside, I don't think that we are in any position to decline alliances out of hand.

If we were in the thirtieth millenium when the Emperor was alive and all of the Primarchs were loyal, then taking on the Chaos Gods and the entire galaxy would have been practically possible. This is no longer the case.

If we decide to close ourselves off, then we back ourselves into a very tight corner. Fighting by itself, I think that the Imperium will be overextended and simply run out of steam. Like it or not, the solution demands both war and clever politics.

To that end, I think the Ynnari are a very good option: by lore, they are the biggest Eldar faction with the strongest avatar of Khaine and the nascent Ynnead on their side. Eldrad and Yvraine basically decided that an actual, no-more-bullshit alliance with the humans is their best bet. I see no reason to rebuke them.

The Eldar, especially the Ynnari, are pretty useful. They got Roboute back, after all. That said, they are tricky sorts who do a lot of weird shit for reasons we cannot comprehend because they can see the future.
Of course they're scheming, it's what Eldar do. Our job in this alliance will be to convince them that mankind is not only their best hope, but their only hope. Like I mentioned above, their commanders are pretty open to the idea of total cooperation and they already walked half of way, now we have to walk the other half.

LogOS

1) The Necrons want living beings in the galaxy, yes, but they dont need human bodies to biotransfer back into. they just need need livable habitats, their tech is more than advanced enough to create organic hosts.

Makes sense, but my memory was that Necrons were looking to bio-transfer into humans.

Makes sense they would want something better. Say, something immortal as their metal bodies.

2) DAoT humans are superior to necrons in Tech in this scenario.

Wait, what?

I don't think that makes sense. Necrons have time-travel, have killed C'tan and lock them like pokemon, not to mention they use means of FTL that do not require the warp. Never heard of DAOT having anything like that.

We can have two discussions about this: The Lore one and the GW-make-more-models one

In the lore, there's Mechanicum Ships that can fire timeshifting black holes as bullets. I am assuming that DAoT was essentially a Culture-like civ that only perished because they lacked the knowledge of Psykerism. So yeah, they have superior tech to everybody else barring the Old Ones whom no longer exist.

Not sure this is particularly relevant, tho. Just saying DAoT are the apex of tech evolution in the galaxy. The catch is that DAoT is just that: Tech. It knows nothing very little of the warp, and knows nothing of corruption. So...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The moment you take Eldar at face value, you lose.
This. Remember Eldar are still butthurt about corrupted humans betraying them 10 millenia ago. Imperium is not in a position to refuse an alliance with them, but trust is going too far.

B

edit: regarding daot, afaik plasma weapons are a holdover from that era (no one understands them etc, even more than bolters and such). And they still explode regularly when used. A problem that tau plasma weapons do not have. So idk how much stock to put in daot being ahead of Necrons...

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Shit guys. You've had me read up on all the lore. Haven't played 40K in the last twenty+ years, so there was a gap in my knowledge.
From where I stand now though, we'd be killing off ourselves, if we do not make allies.
And the Eldar have resurrected the primarch. That's some olive branch right there.

A

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
B>A. Is there a difference between these options if we end up agreeing to the Eldar agreement after we hear their proposals? If not then we should clearly hear what they have to say first before we act.

Baltika9

Arcane
B

I see no reason to rebuke them.

maybe because they are space jews whose endgame is the eradication of all goyim
That's literally all of 40K. And every empire that ever existed. My point is that we have to change the Imperium, and this alliance is a damn good place to start. Between the nascent Ynnead (Eldar god of death), Eldrad (basically Varys the Spider in space) and webway technology, we are much better off with the Eldar as our lukewarm allies whom we can keep an eye on, than the same-old 'frienemies' status we have been sticking each other in for ten thousand years.

I'm not saying that an alliance is going to make us buddies over night, not at all. It is going to be the start of a very long road to mending over ten thousand years of legit racial prejudice. Either way, we are better off together than apart. Why be coy about it?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
B

I see no reason to rebuke them.

maybe because they are space jews whose endgame is the eradication of all goyim
That's literally all of 40K. And every empire that ever existed. My point is that we have to change the Imperium, and this alliance is a damn good place to start. Between the nascent Ynnead (Eldar god of death), Eldrad (basically Varys the Spider in space) and webway technology, we are much better off with the Eldar as our lukewarm allies whom we can keep an eye on, than the same-old 'frienemies' status we have been sticking each other in for ten thousand years.

I'm not saying that an alliance is going to make us buddies over night, not at all. It is going to be the start of a very long road to mending over ten thousand years of legit racial prejudice. Either way, we are better off together than apart. Why be coy about it?

Ok, you convinced me. Original vote edited.

Esquilax

Arcane
B>A. Is there a difference between these options if we end up agreeing to the Eldar agreement after we hear their proposals? If not then we should clearly hear what they have to say first before we act.

Has to be a difference. If I accept an alliance with the Eldar, that changes the parameters of how a meeting with the T'au/Necron will go down. It signals to them that, for the time being (at least publicly) we are working towards a common goal and means that whatever baggage/prejudices they have with the Eldar come with will affect how they converse with us. Whether the alliance is a good thing or not is a different topic, my speculation is that it might make the T'au/Necron more guarded in how they deal with us due to the fact that they're dealing with two different armies, not one.

I'm still kinda on the fence in terms of how to approach this, but I'm positive that this alliance offering isn't something that you can take or leave whenever you feel like.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
My point is that we have to change the Imperium

This always ends up well.

Between the nascent Ynnead (Eldar god of death), Eldrad (basically Varys the Spider in space) and webway technology, we are much better off with the Eldar as our lukewarm allies whom we can keep an eye on

Timeo xenos et dona ferentes.

Baltika9

Arcane
My point is that we have to change the Imperium

This always ends up well.

Between the nascent Ynnead (Eldar god of death), Eldrad (basically Varys the Spider in space) and webway technology, we are much better off with the Eldar as our lukewarm allies whom we can keep an eye on

Timeo xenos et dona ferentes.
And repeating the same losing combination never fails.
+M
I'll steal Esquilax's bit: the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You are rather optimistically assuming that we can go ahead and Change the Imperium (tm) all by ourselves without pissing off the ensemble of dickbags that are the Adeptus Terra, among others. I'm sure they will be delighted to learn of an alliance made so eagerly with the Eldar.

Baltika9

Arcane
You are rather optimistically assuming that we can go ahead and Change the Imperium (tm) all by ourselves without pissing off the ensemble of dickbags that are the Adeptus Terra, among others. I'm sure they will be delighted to learn of an alliance made so eagerly with the Eldar.

I'm glad you brought this up. My official stance on the Adeptas is this: GUILLIMAN is the leader of the Imperium, while they are just faction that we have to manage and manipulate. I am not in favor of being held hostage by rogue Adeptas and letting opportunities like this one slip through our fingers.

There's also the fact that alliances with the Eldar are not unheard of.
Edit: there's at least one Ordos xenos inquisitor looking forward to...cooperating with them.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom