Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

your 5 (6) essential RPGs

Martyr

Arcane
imagine this: a gaming nuclear holocaust is happening, all games that have ever been made will perish. but you have been granted the divine power to save 6 RPGs, because RPGs are god's chosen genre of games.
you have to choose 5 RPGs, whichever you like, plus your favorite Gold Box game. why the Gold Box RPG? because god said so.
choose wisely and if there is a special reason why you chose this game (apart from: it's fun) then name that reason!

---> EDIT: talking about computer RPGs !!! <---

---> EDIT 2: list of Gold Box RPGs in spoiler !!! <---

Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Pools of Darkness

Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier

Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Dark Queen of Krynn

Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures

Neverwinter Nights (MMORPG)

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

my pick:

Temple of Elemental Evil
imo pretty much the perfect roleplaying game. there's not a single thing that I don't love about this game.

Wizardry 6, Wizardry 7, Grimoire
they're triplets you can't seperate them! you can? duh, then my choice goes to Wizardry 7. the best games the blobber subgenre has to offer and imo Wiz 7 might quite possibly be the best RPG ever made.

Prelude to Darkness
clunky, buggy but oh so great. outstanding atmosphere, nice plot with lots of C&C. I also can't get tired of hearing that soundtrack.

Daggerfall
a LARPers wet dream. who cares if you're an unemployed fat slob living in the basement of your mothers house, while her corpse is rotting upstairs, when you're saving money to buy that one big mansion in Wayrest/wherever??

Ultima 6
RPG-lite, but I like the general mood. and the soundtrack is glorious. this isn't one of my favorite RPGs, but the thought of never being able to play this game again is rather painful. I have a soft spot for Ultima 6.

and my one Gold Box RPG is:

Pools of Darkness
high-level AD&D, lots of excellent combat encounters and the dormant body of Moander as part of the setting was just brilliant.

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm sorry but it's hard to not laugh when I misread "high-level AD&D" as "high-level ADHD," making it sounds like that only people with that particular disorder would play Pools of Darkness.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout. Duh. But wait! I'm going with Fallout 2 instead. :smug: It has the better systems and C&C, so suck it.
Jagged Alliance 2. Best combat, best cast of characters.
Wizardry 8. Best character system, pretty damn great combat in this one as well.
Pool of Radiance. Supreme pacing, length, sense of progression, adventuring atmosphere. I love the free-roaming worldmap, and miss it in other entries.
Planescape Torment, probably. It has the some good bits with the words in it.

Not sure I can name a sixth RPG that reaches the god-tier of the above. Fallout, probably, but it feels redundant to put them both up there since they're so similar. Maybe Wizardry 6. Hmm...

EverlastingLove

Learned
So you basically can save only 5 (6) rpg games? Here are my picks:

Bloodlines

Because you can have good facial animations in rpg games and the mood in this game is fantastic, this is how modern rpg can and often should look like

Fallout 1

This is how a good post-apocalyptic setting in rpgs should like like, the pace of the game is also very well done

Wizardry 8

Great character development, decent combat with many interesting enemies, how level scaling can be done to keep the game challenging but also entertaining, lots of charm

Planescepe: Torment

So people could witness a good story and interesting setting

Jagged Alliance 2 with mods

For good tactical combat, great character rooster - how to make the characters interesting without bullshit writing

my one Gold Box RPG

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

Because you can create an interesting rpg game in sci-fi setting. The title of the game is also fucking awesome ;)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Disciples of Steel : Similar and inferior in many aspects to SSI's Gold Box games, like the spell and enemiy set and the overall encounter design and the dungeons which may be a bit empty, the game also has a huge open but cruel world to visit where you need to slowly get stronger to get further, a very cool character sytem, some riddles and sandbox elements for it.

Realms of Arkania : Star Trail : the main flaw of this game is that it was never released on Amiga and I could not transfer my party from Blade of Destiny back in the day. These games have the best journey, sense of adventure and translation from PnP to computer games. Very cool character creation, tons of skills and utility items which would be used once in a while, inns, diseases, walls of text. The games are quite funny games where you get beaten for walking nude on the street. The combat part is weak when compared with SSI's Gold Box games, but anyway, that can be said of about every RPG out there.

Dragon Wars : I could have chosen Wasteland instead, these are my favourite sandbox games, with a lot of problems which can be solved with different tools, the problem of many sandbox games is a lack of problems more than a lack of tools while these 2 games have both tools and problems to solve with them. Both games also have extremely good atmosphere and writing. Wasteland is better on many aspects, especially the maps are much more filled with ton of cool stuff while the Wasteland ones are a bit empty. Yet Dragon Wars has its very low numbers and characters starting as erudites, and it's probably the game which does the open world = one open big dungeon the best.

Buck Rogers : Countdown to doomsday : Yes, because I won't go with less than two SSI's games. The best non-medieval fantasy RPG by a margin. The combat is almost as good as in SSI's medieval fantasy games, it lacks spells but has encounter design similarly good as in those, plus some grenades and other consumables which make you regret spells a little less. The game has a skill system, dungeons are great, especially the ship with brain parasite and an optional very hard one at the end.

Might and Magic 2 : Gates To Another World : I like Might & Magic series, the games all deserve fun exploration, and this one has a big party and the best combat from those I've played (I've not played 1).

Death Knights of Krynn : one of the very open ones. And you fight draconians, undeads and some dragons so the encounters are obviously good.

Martyr

Arcane
fantadomat that's a rather .... focused taste in RPGs.
you've also loaded the wrath of god upon thine shoulders for not chosing a Gold Box RPG !

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
you've also loaded the wrath of god upon thine shoulders for not chosing a Gold Box RPG !
Meh,most of gold box rpgs are dungeon crawlers while MM have whole worlds with a lot of dungeons to explore. I am not a fan of one dungeon and you just go down until you kill the big evul guy.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Meh,most of godl box rpgs are dungeon crawlers while MM have whole worlds with a lot of dungeons to explore. I am not a fan of one dungeon and you just go down until you kill the big evul guy.
I'm gonna take a wild fucking guess here and say that you haven't played a single Gold Box game.

Martyr

Arcane
Meh,most of godl box rpgs are dungeon crawlers while MM have whole worlds with a lot of dungeons to explore. I am not a fan of one dungeon and you just go down until you kill the big evul guy.
I'm gonna take a wild fucking guess here and say that you haven't played a single Gold Box game.
or maybe he just confuses them with something else? :?
he's right in that there aren't these large open stretches of landscape to explore, like in the M&Ms or Wizardry 7. but Gold Box RPGs sure as hell aren't "explore a single dungeon". it also goes without saying that the Gold Box combat system is miles ahead of any of the M&Ms popamole clickfest.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dreed another heretic! where dem Gold Boxes at??

edit: you've evaded being struck by divine lightning by adding Pool of Radiance!

That reminded me of a nice bug I had the last time I played it:
2hkd5ps.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Dreed another heretic! where dem Gold Boxes at??

edit: you've evaded being struck by divine lightning by adding Pool of Radiance!
You do need to go outside more frequently,it is 2019 now. Such great RPGs like a Skyrim,asscreed greek niggers and anthem exist now. You should stop being such a bigot and diversify your game experiences.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Temple of Elemental Evil - great combat, great magic system
Dragonfall - good story, great combat
BG2 - great magic system
Phantasy Star IV - great story, great characters
Rance VI - great story, great characters
Goldbox: Pool of Radiance

I think these are self explanatory

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Wizardry: I will preserve cool dungeon crawling with this game.
Fallout: New Vegas: I will preserve homosexual companions and proper choice & consequence with this game.
Dark Souls: I will preserve exciting combat and disturbing setting with this game.
Gothic II: I will preserve cool open world action RPGs with this game.
Fallout: I will preserve what a cRPG should be like with this game.

My Gold Box RPG of choice:

PCCDROM-1.jpg

I will also bring with me a photo of The Witcher's wenches to remember good videogame titties.

Martyr

Arcane
Sigourn Morrowind instead of a Gold Box RPG? that's one of the purest acts of heresy I've ever encountered. we might need to form a RPG-Inquisition here.

Dorateen

Arcane
If all the role-playing games should perish into naught, should the mountains crumble and seas dry up, I would need only the following to continue making D&D style modules:

Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (for Gold Box greatness)

IceBlink engine and toolset

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom