Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

your 5 (6) essential RPGs

Swigen

Arbiter
Final Fantasy 7

That’s right, the one that started it all. This choice is pretty much a no brainer on account of the RPG genre owing it’s entire existence to this PSone classic.

Temple of Elemental Evil

I think my favorite feature of this legendary RPG is that it doesn’t fucking work. That’s right, you can plunk down yore $6 for it a GOG, eat a box of Cheez-Its while you wait paitiently for it to download, then click “play” only to have it lock up your computer so badly that it needs to be restarted. In today’s world of instant gratification, they just don’t make ‘em like this anymore.

Pillars of Eternity

This gem gets a shoutout on account of the fact that EVERYTHING KILLS YOU. You might THINK you can just waltz into the Black Marsh and find the blacksmith’s caravan but you won’t. You’ll just get raped by the bandits sitting around the camp fire instead or maybe you’ll get ganbanged by a buncha Wichts. You may then think to yourself, “well shit, maybe I’ll just go kill that bear in the cave near the game’s beginning”, hah! Wrong again homo, that bear’s gonna wipe your party in 4 seconds flat. Can’t do anything. It’s great.

Nethack

This game is awesome ‘cause you can play it on yore iPad while you’re taking a dump.

Curse of the Azure Bonds

I made this my gold box pick because I read the book and that was pretty good so I figure the game’s gotta be too, right?

Molina

Savant
Fallout 2
Arcanum
Kenshi
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Baldur's gate 2
Morrowind + Tamriel Rebuild + Rebirth

Enough to enjoy life for 4-5 years.

Martyr

Arcane
noting down the names of those who let all the Gold Boxes go to waste.

IEUDJg3.jpg

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I guess the question is which RPG's are the most replayable, since you will be stuck with just 5. Something like a good strategy game is probably more replayable than even the best RPG's. But anyway, if I had to just stick to RPG's:

FRUA seems like an obvious choice for Gold Box games, if you also include all the modules.

Baldur's Gate II, because dem mage battles are still unmatched.

Caves of Qud, because complex roguelike and therefore quite replayable.

Grimoire, because incline.

Deadfire with all expansions, because fuck the haters.

Morkar Left

- ELEX - long, 3 joinable factions, has a bit of everything, will take several playthroughs to discover everything, action combat covered

- Fallout New Vegas - long, action combat (even serves a bit as a shooter), lots of mods, mostly for modding potential and the nearly infinite possibilities because of that (and has minigames when you want to play something else than an rpg)

- Star Traders Frontiers - high replay value with the possibility you make up your own narrative, different playstyles, tactics ad character development, covers Space-SciFi needs

- Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 (plus addons) combined as a single game and modded - covers basically all fantasy needs and is a long game for sure

Goldbox: really not sure, probably not Pool of Radiance, maybe more Dragonlance for a bit of diversity. Let's say Death Knights of Krynn. Whichever game it would be, it would additionally cover my fantasy needs. But I wish I could change it instead to JA2 or PotC with New Horizons mod...

Martyr

Arcane
I guess the question is which RPG's are the most replayable.
sort of. but then I would have to change at least Ultima 6 on my list (which I don't want to). because Darklands for example is a lot more replayable than U6 (and Darklands is my favorite RPG btw, despite not being the best), but I've already played Darklands to death so I chose a different game.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
- Star Traders Frontiers - high replay value with the possibility you make up your own narrative, different playstyles, tactics ad character development, covers Space-SciFi needs

That looks very good actually.

Morkar Left

That looks very good actually.

It's worth checking out. Relatively easy to get into te game but has more complexitiy than you first realize. Levelscaling is a bit of a downer though. Coing to looks they nerfed the char portraits and somehow managed to make them uglier than before :?

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Wizardry 1
A true masterpiece. Doesn't have any purple prose or fake choices and consequences. Only fun and robust gameplay. An elegant RPG for a more civilized age.

Ultima 7
Yep, it has a shitty combat system. Still it is my favourite open-world game. Really like its immersive sim elements.

Final Fantasy 3 (nes)
The biggest and the best 8-bit Final Fantasy. The job system, the beautiful graphics, music - it is a pinnacle of the jRPG design. I like it even more than Dragon Quest 4/5.

Might and Magic World of Xeen
Actually, gameplay-wise I prefer M&M2. But 4 and 5 were my first M&Ms, so nostalgia commands me to chose Eric Xeen.

Das Schwarze Auge: Sternenschweif
The complex isometric combat system and the strong simulation aspect. It is unbalanced as fuck, but very fun.

--

Goldbox
Not gonna be original here, it is Pool of Radiance.

Removal

Scholar
FRUA
assuming I can grab all the modules I want, seems the only way to go.

--

Dark Sun Shattered Lands
for desert adventuring needs and wyvern killing

IWD
for comfy snow adventuring needs and rolling with pure teams of dwarves

Temple of Elemental Evil
it just scratches some itches for me

Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday
gold box adapted to scifi, what's not to love
plus GOAT box art

last choice would be hard, probably Phantasy Star IV but I can think of several other games that could slot in

Elevrilnar

Literate
Planescape Torment for fantastic setting, original companions, great story and spectacular high level spell effects.

Baldur's Gate 2 for a long and diverse voyage feeling, good AD&D adaptation, interesting items and nice team spirit.

Fallout 2 for an unrepeatable post-apocalyptic atmosphere, mature themes, a lot of pop-culture references and something SPECIAL.

Neverwinter Nights 2 for being the best real time adaptation of D&D system, high modification potential and marvelous MotB expansion pack.

The Witcher 3 for a combination of open world, high level of storytelling, great characters and well-written dialogues.

As for the Goldbox title, I'd choose Eye of the Beholder I for being a true classic. :)

Martyr

Arcane
As for the Goldbox title, I'd choose Eye of the Beholder I for being a true classic. :)

that's a minor form of heresy, since this game has at least been published by SSI.
it's not a Gold Box game though. but your sin shall be forgiven. this time.

Barbalos

Savant
1. Betrayal at Krondor - Great writing for a game, I enjoyed the combat, I was already familiar with the setting so that was a bonus. My favourite RPG of all time.

2. Ultima VII - Tough choice between Black Gate and Serpent Isle, I'll pick Serpent Isle. I like the dialogue throughout Black Gate and feel like that continues through the game more, but I'd say Serpent Isle is the better game overall.

3. Might and Magic 3 or X - Undecided, lots of nostalgia for 3, but I also like the additions X made (more complex combat, more and more structured side-quests, more engaged with the plot of the game). I'll say X just because it was a bit more of a challenge to beat it. Note - I haven't finished World of Xeen so I'm not sure about that one. Also I prefer turn-based grid-based which I why I prefer these over 6-7.

4. Baldur's Gate series - I'll favour 2 but not by a whole lot. I loved the exploration and paying your dues part of BG1, but playing as a mage type in BG2 with just so many more options seals my decision. I spent tons of time theory-crafting optimal parties, a solo sorcerer run, a FMT multi in BG1, and generally enjoyed the hell out of these games. I'm a big fan of the ADnD ruleset used here.

5. Morrowind - I spent a ton of time playing this overall, I remember all kinds of quests, characters, lore, etc., so I'll slot it here.

Goldbox - Sorry to say this was a bit before my time, and I never caught up on them. I was around 4 years old when they were coming out and I never even really heard of them at the time.

Martyr

Arcane
Goldbox - Sorry to say this was a bit before my time, and I never caught up on them. I was around 4 years old when they were coming out and I never even really heard of them at the time.

they're mandatory if you're interested in tactical combat in RPGs. regularly on sale at gog for less than 2 shekels! the Krynn trilogy is the most accessible one, due to their linearity.

Barbalos

Savant

they're mandatory if you're interested in tactical combat in RPGs. regularly on sale at gog for less than 2 shekels! the Krynn trilogy is the most accessible one, due to their linearity.

Thanks for the tip. I see the Krynn saga is $14 atm (Canadian), I'll keep an eye on it and pick it up if/when it goes on sale. I've heard people talk about them for ages now and I do like the style of combat.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Wizardry 8
Best character system, combat is solid (and didn't age with the fast combat / anim mods), everything else is really good.

Fallout 1 & 2
I like them both equally, first one is a pure gem despite the lack of tactical layers of the combat system, second one adds great NPC and more of Fallout 1 which is amazing enough.

Isles of Terra
My first Might & Magic, Xeen slightly improved the UI but i've mixed feeling about the inventory and we lost the hirelings, combat is fast but can be challenging, a lot of exploration spells, riddles, a lot of fun.

Dark Sun : Shattered Lands
Great OST, settings, interesting races/classes, good combat for an isometric cRPG which was only improved by KotC / ToEE.

KotC / ToEE
Difficult to choose one, they share the same lack of story & compelling quests even if there is some interesting scripted events in KotC and some interesting side-quests in the temple in ToEE.

Gold Box (alike) : Hearkenwold (Iceblink engine)
Gets the better of the goldbox spirit (along with KotC).

I don't like the exploration part in the goldbox games i tried, the UI is clumsy, just compare it to Isles of Terra (1991) and you'll understand why.

P.S. Didn't put Planescape in the list because i didn't replay it since its release, even if its setting is my favorite along with NPCs and almost everything else but char dev and combat.

Irgsarzh

Novice
Cool thread OP, I love lists:

00 - Ur-Quan Masters
01 - Fallout 2
02 - Arcanum
03 - Planescape: Torment
04 - Nox
05 - Shining Force II
GB - Dark Sun 2: Wake of the Ravager

Kerestrem

Novice
I'm gonna work through my backlog of the old classics this year, but as of right now I'd save:

Baldur's Gate 2
Cataclysm: DDA
Dark Souls
Fallout: New Vegas
Morrowind

I haven't touched any of the gold box games, but I constantly hear good things about Pool of Radiance, so I'd save that and play it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Pool Of Radiance - C64 version... hey, it's the first fantasy cRPG I ever played and as luck would have it, it was actually GOOD and got me hooked on RPGs forever. Had I played, say, Planescape Torment first I might have gone, "WTF? Am I playing a game or reading a fucking BORING-ass novel? Fuck this shit! RPGs suck!" and never touched another one ever again.

Dragon Wars - C64 version... the 1st person view screen is HUGE in this version, bigger than even Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered. It's Bard's Tale IV if EA hadn't been such dicks about licensing, but with MASSIVE QoL improvements compared to the first 3 and so many paths you can get brain-fever playing it..

Final Fantasy III (VI) - the only RPG I ever paid full price for. I had just gotten my SNES, purchased used from my cousin for $50 (he wanted $75 but I said, "Dude, we've known each other since the day you ate that worm in the sandpile at 4. You're charging me $75 for this??? C'mon, $50 bucks! Cousin's discount!" He did). I had a blast with FF III. Made me love (some) jRPGs. It had that weirdness that western RPGs just aren't capable of emulating.

Neverwinter Nights with user modules. The best AD&D cRPG experience you can possibly have.

Oblivion with mods. Fuck you. I know what you're thinking, so... FUCK YOU!

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Deus Ex - Some may argue it's not an RPG, but since it's the best video game ever it should appear in any video game top list, regardless of whether it fits the criteria

Wizardry 8 - All the fun race/class combinations, everything but the kitchen sink setting, highly enjoyable combat. Wiz 1 and 5 get honorable mentions, but I somewhat prefer 8

Fallout New Vegas - Factions, C&C, multiple approaches to situations, assorted storyfaggotry

Arcanum - My favorite of the Black Isle/Troika-style RPGs; a shame that subgenre never went anywhere

Final Fantasy Tactics - I love the combat, and the job system is my preferred version of multiclassing; the story stuff is pretty great too, assuming one's using the superior PSP translation

As for Gold Box, I haven't played all of them but will pick Pool of Radiance; I doubt anything will edge it out since I prefer low level DnD anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom