Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Remember when paradox was good?

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Anyway, back to the railroading argument, this complaint was exactly why Paradox gave up on the idea of being a historical game and instead created games with a historical theme.
You can play Spain in EU2 and complain about the Netherlands revolting even though you kept the populace there extremely happy, about getting bancrupcy events from the new world even though you kept your inflation in check, about the treaty of tordesillias firing even though you conquered most of Portugal and them not having a single colony and so on and so forth, sure, that stuff sucks.

But to me, it's 1000 times better than having Algeria conquering the Balkans and becoming a major colonial power in the new world, along with Cologne and Novgorod, Tirol owning most of Italy and having somehow gotten Ireland and North England, some sub-saharan tribe westernizing and conquering most of china, Turkey trying to get to their historical strength, but being stopped in their tracks by a coalition of Austria, The Hanseatic League, Burgundy, the Illkhanate, the Aztecs and Norway, working better than the NATO would centuries later - none of which even sharing a common border with the Turks ... all on a world map that looks drastically different from the real world (border-wise), with only some recognizeable names, completely fictional leaders and monarchs .... you get the point.

Actually, I vastly prefer the weird ahistorical outcomes from the new Paradox games. In my games of CK2 with all expansions, usually things happen relatively believably, but in some games you just get some weird shit that makes things more interesting. It's boring to have the exact same results every time you play a new game. It's much more interesting when anything can happen - and if we're honest, during history things often only happened the way they did because circumstances were exactly one way, and not another. So if you change a few variables, things might turn out very differently. Yes, Byzantium surviving past 1453 is a possibility. Prussia never becoming a major power is a possibility. Scandinavia never getting Christianized is a possibility. Etc.

And the simulationist approach means that even if the results are weird and wonky, at least they're systemically believable. And they make the games more interesting because you never know how the world will end up in the end.

This tbh, who wants to see the exact same thing happen every time? lol

Some people on this thread are trying way too hard to be edgy 'oooo paradox was always shit!!!!' While they probably play those fucking garbage civilization games and yes I think alpha centauri is garbage too.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Paradox was never good. The problem is that they are the only game developer who make that kind of strategy games. They can produce shit and people will still buy them.

Paradox is like Bethesda of strategy games, on paper their games are the most amazing and wholesome world simulators in the genre, in practice they are nonsensical mess that normies use as larping platform.

so does HOI4 let you install mods that make you want to unzip your pants and rock out with your dripping cock?

Why don't you type like a normal person instead of being a retard?

It's a genuine question - I totally would reinstall HOI4 for that :)))
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1301693239

There. That's the best you can get.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Some people on this thread are trying way too hard to be edgy 'oooo paradox was always shit!!!!' While they probably play those fucking garbage civilization games and yes I think alpha centauri is garbage too.

The last Civ game I actually played was Civ III and briefly an early FreeCiv. I own almost every Paradox game since EU fucking 1. Paradox games are simply bad. They have plenty of excellent ideas which are ruined by piss poor execution and atrocious programming. The problem is that the Swedes can allow themselves to be like that because they have exactly zero competition in their little cozy niche of strategy games.

Last edited:

rezaf

Cipher
Anyway, back to the railroading argument, this complaint was exactly why Paradox gave up on the idea of being a historical game and instead created games with a historical theme.
You can play Spain in EU2 and complain about the Netherlands revolting even though you kept the populace there extremely happy, about getting bancrupcy events from the new world even though you kept your inflation in check, about the treaty of tordesillias firing even though you conquered most of Portugal and them not having a single colony and so on and so forth, sure, that stuff sucks.

But to me, it's 1000 times better than having Algeria conquering the Balkans and becoming a major colonial power in the new world, along with Cologne and Novgorod, Tirol owning most of Italy and having somehow gotten Ireland and North England, some sub-saharan tribe westernizing and conquering most of china, Turkey trying to get to their historical strength, but being stopped in their tracks by a coalition of Austria, The Hanseatic League, Burgundy, the Illkhanate, the Aztecs and Norway, working better than the NATO would centuries later - none of which even sharing a common border with the Turks ... all on a world map that looks drastically different from the real world (border-wise), with only some recognizeable names, completely fictional leaders and monarchs .... you get the point.

Actually, I vastly prefer the weird ahistorical outcomes from the new Paradox games. In my games of CK2 with all expansions, usually things happen relatively believably, but in some games you just get some weird shit that makes things more interesting. It's boring to have the exact same results every time you play a new game. It's much more interesting when anything can happen - and if we're honest, during history things often only happened the way they did because circumstances were exactly one way, and not another. So if you change a few variables, things might turn out very differently. Yes, Byzantium surviving past 1453 is a possibility. Prussia never becoming a major power is a possibility. Scandinavia never getting Christianized is a possibility. Etc.

And the simulationist approach means that even if the results are weird and wonky, at least they're systemically believable. And they make the games more interesting because you never know how the world will end up in the end.

I get what you guys are saying, and Paradox agrees with your POV and completely embraced it, obviously. You already won.

That said, you're also missing the point. No game of EU2 was exactly like history, there were always variations, sometimes massive. Many (but not all, not by a long shot!) of those were caused by player action, though.
You could play a small minor for 200 years slowly fighting your way up the food chain, and when you were ready to compete with some bigger boys in 16xx, chances were the political landscape still looked at least somewhat familiar.
It was never identical to history, but close enough. The what if you played was like: What if (as you cited it) Byzantium survived to the 1600s while everything else in the world developed roughly as written in the history books.
The newer PDox approach completely loses any ties to history in no time, you cannot, I dunno, keep Burgundy alive to eventually try and stop Napoleon, you cannot play up to the War of the Roses and try to bring about a different result, you cannot try to form a german nation early and have it stand up against Austria or whatever - none of the historical events ever happen in modern EU games, no historical figures ever appear.
The game might just as well be set on a completely random map with random geography - such as you would play a Civ game on a random map.
In time, Paradox try to make up for this by adding tons and tons of systems, some region specific or religion specific and so on - but you still never end up in a scenario remotely comparable to real history.
Like I said, your side of the argument won, so there no longer is an argument, but I just cannot fathom the accusation that staying within the realm of historical plausibility equals to "the exact same thing happening every time".

That said, I also loved the older Civ games, where you are definately NOT replaying history in any shape or form. That can be a great experience. But I feel EU still WANTS to be this game tied in history, to a degree, yet it all falls apart for me, personally.
OTOH, I do like CK2, but it's something else entirely. I repeat, your side has won long ago, I just wish Paradox had at least kept their script engine versatile enough to make a historical game akin to the EU2 of old - nobody forced them to throw out the triggers enabling you to make it so - but they did. They burnt their bridges and nothing like AGC could even be created for EU4. I'm just a bit sad about that part, because some of the systems in the newer games are great and I'd love to have an otherwise more traditional EU experience with those systems in play. But alas, some things are not to be.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

I get what you guys are saying, and Paradox agrees with your POV and completely embraced it, obviously. You already won.

That said, you're also missing the point. No game of EU2 was exactly like history, there were always variations, sometimes massive. Many (but not all, not by a long shot!) of those were caused by player action, though.
You could play a small minor for 200 years slowly fighting your way up the food chain, and when you were ready to compete with some bigger boys in 16xx, chances were the political landscape still looked at least somewhat familiar.
It was never identical to history, but close enough. The what if you played was like: What if (as you cited it) Byzantium survived to the 1600s while everything else in the world developed roughly as written in the history books.
The newer PDox approach completely loses any ties to history in no time, you cannot, I dunno, keep Burgundy alive to eventually try and stop Napoleon, you cannot play up to the War of the Roses and try to bring about a different result, you cannot try to form a german nation early and have it stand up against Austria or whatever - none of the historical events ever happen in modern EU games, no historical figures ever appear.
The game might just as well be set on a completely random map with random geography - such as you would play a Civ game on a random map.
In time, Paradox try to make up for this by adding tons and tons of systems, some region specific or religion specific and so on - but you still never end up in a scenario remotely comparable to real history.
Like I said, your side of the argument won, so there no longer is an argument, but I just cannot fathom the accusation that staying within the realm of historical plausibility equals to "the exact same thing happening every time".

That said, I also loved the older Civ games, where you are definately NOT replaying history in any shape or form. That can be a great experience. But I feel EU still WANTS to be this game tied in history, to a degree, yet it all falls apart for me, personally.
OTOH, I do like CK2, but it's something else entirely. I repeat, your side has won long ago, I just wish Paradox had at least kept their script engine versatile enough to make a historical game akin to the EU2 of old - nobody forced them to throw out the triggers enabling you to make it so - but they did. They burnt their bridges and nothing like AGC could even be created for EU4. I'm just a bit sad about that part, because some of the systems in the newer games are great and I'd love to have an otherwise more traditional EU experience with those systems in play. But alas, some things are not to be.

I don't even fully disagree with you, I've seen some retarded shit in paradox games like switzerland taking half of austria and italy in victoria 2 or the netherlands annexing france in eu3. Bosnia wooping the ottomans ect.

The point is some variance is nice, it is a game after all.

Doma

Augur
I would just like to say that Stellaris + mods are nerd-heaven dreams of the highest order.
Purge the galaxy!

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, "good" is obviously a bit subjective here. I like having the real history unfold, so I've played HoI2 (Armageddon with SMEP) and EU2 (with AGCEEP, or the standalone For the Glory) for possibly hundreds of hours, even in 2019. It's great fun, but is it good? In HoI2 (Armageddon), for example, it's practically impossible to play a great power and lose when you know what you're doing:

- If you're the Soviet Union, nobody can resist your 200-500 infantry divisions.
- If you're Germany, the UK can't correctly defend its coast from Sealion, the USSR can't defend in depth effectively, and the USA doesn't defend the Eastern Seaboard.
- If you're the USA or UK, Germany is 100% tied up in Russia (or already forced back to its 1939-1941 borders) and can't effectively defend France. Letting them take France in the first place is already usually a deliberate player LARP to follow history and extend the game.

Italy or Japan pose more specific challenges, e.g. the USA will eventually push back very hard against Japs on the West Coast. But once you know the AI's quirks a little bit, it's hard to lose.

EU2 likewise doesn't rely much on brilliant AI or anything. It's more a question of whether the player wants to blob, or if he wants to play a historically realistic path (i.e. actually colonise North America with England or France, even though it doesn't always have the best goods). So the historical events (especially with AGCEEP) just guide the player a bit further along the historical path. Not everything is railroaded entirely, e.g. in both vanilla and AGCEEP it's perfectly possible for England to conquer France in the 100 Years' War, meaning the England player gets all the French events as well. Likewise, the French can dominate everyone with Joan of Arc, kick out the English and crushing the Burgundians in the 1430s. But this only happens with certain event choices and by incurring large military expenses and badboy.

With a nation like France in AGCEEP, I find it most entertaining to generally play historically, but then deviate in trying to hold on to Naples or something. And then when Napoleon comes along, it's just a mad dash in the final years to succeed where he failed by invading and vassalising both the UK and Russia and everything in-between. That's when you reap the rewards of building up realistically throughout the game.

I think what made these games great is not so much any technical brilliance, but just the fact that there was little to no competition in terms of "games played on a world map". It's more a matter of "Holy fuck, I'm playing on a world map tracing a nation's history through the centuries" than "Holy fuck, these mechanics and AI are amazing, Joan of Arc/Charles V/Napoleon is crushing me!!!"

I find the true randomness works best with CK (1 and 2) in that you're playing a dynasty instead of a nation and you're working with claims and feudalism instead of just having "a" casus belli and badboy. Although CK2 often suffers from attempts to make it more of a nation-building game, many players will still hold back on blobbing. CK1 is also a loveable random, buggy mess.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
asfasdf

Seems really mad I have him on ignore. I can't see if you replied to this thread but I see your ratings and I have a messgae for you moron;

No one likes you, no one ever has and ever will care about anything you have to say. You're just a mindless edgy retarded loser. Zero of what you say has ever been interesting which is why I have you blocked like a retard.

With a nation like France in AGCEEP, I find it most entertaining to generally play historically, but then deviate in trying to hold on to Naples or something. And then when Napoleon comes along, it's just a mad dash in the final years to succeed where he failed by invading and vassalising both the UK and Russia and everything in-between. That's when you reap the rewards of building up realistically throughout the game.

The most fun I remember having in an unmodded EU was doing something similar with the Timurids and Babur.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom