Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

your 5 (6) essential RPGs

Barbalos

Savant
Yeah, I have the Director's Cut. Have you played it on a newer machine? I have an i7-7700 CPU and 1060 6GB GPU, it's massively better than the old laptop I had. And I've had troubles like this with a few old games, like New Vegas, as well..

Hmm, good point. My laptop is from 2012, so I should try it on newe machines. I will PM you, when I find something.

Much appreciated! I might look into it again a bit myself as well. Like I said I did tinker with anything I could think of related to framerate and stutter, but I may look again. I never beat the expansion either, wouldn't mind doing that (it's not unplayable, but it's triggering enough that I gave up).

Space Nugget

1. Fallout
2. VtM: Bloodlines
3. Arcanum
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Ultima 7

6. O que é Golden Shower?

(Never played any of the GB games)

Sykar

Arcane
I do not care what god says so here is my package:

Deus Ex
System Shock 2 with texture and model upgrades
Fallout 2 with Restoration Project
Underrail+Expansion
Pathfinder:Kingmaker and Eldritch Arcana mod
Jagged Alliance 2 with 1.13 mod

Honorable mentions: Planescape:Torment, BG 2, VtM: Bloodlines, Arcanum, etc.

Last edited:

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Non-Gold Box
Daggerfall
Morrowind
Oblivion
Skyrim
TES Blades
>This is how you start with the grandest vision possible, change that vision entirely to produce tightly designed genius, and then decline into the mobile market

Gold Box
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Collectors Edition
>This is how you put, like, 10 pretty good games onto a floppy disk

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Underrail
The Witcher 3
Jagged Alliance 2
Arcanum
Dark Souls

I've never played any Gold Box games, but Pool of Radiance seems interesting, so I'll go with that.

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
Planescape: Torment
Fallout 1+2 ( If only one i will go with 2)
BG 2
Arcanum
MotB

For Gold box choice... fuck that, i will take Dark Sun:Shattered Lands over any of them. But i must, Buck Rogers CtD it is

And you know my list is obviously the correct one, since Codex more or less agrees with me https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453
:smug:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If I was to take my favorite CRPGs list and choose 5 (+1 Goldbox) to play over and over for the rest of my life, my list would be:

#1: FRUA with Ray Dyer mods. This way I can play all the BECMI and 1st Edition AD&D tabletop modules. Really fantastic job by this designer, and I would make this my #1, even if not forced to pick a Gold Box game.

#2: Zangband for DOS. Man, I love rogue-likes for their replayability. I hardly ever beat them, and I never beat this game, but I still love the feeling of getting my hopes up, and dying on dungeon level 70-something. I know we have Dungeon Crawl Soup, and an updated ADOM, and TOME, but for some reason I still prefer Angband, and Moria, and Zangband, warts and all. I wish I could say why. I'd have to think about it sometime and put the reasons to paper.

#3: Sengoku Rance. I love the replay value of this game. Everytime I play it, there's something new and different. Sometimes you capture a general you never caught before, or have one of your enemy's allies try something new in response of some event. I must have beaten it at least 7 or 8 times and I'm still running into new dialogue and events.

#4: Baldur's Gate II: I actually think Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate are the better games, but Baldur's Gate II has a lot more content and replayability. The NPCs have side quests that can only be discovered based upon your recruitment of them and your in-game decisions. And it's also a lot of fun to create different class configurations, like a dual-class kensai-mage.

#5: Romance of the Three Kingdoms X: I can live as ancient Chinese official and go through a game where random events and character interactions change the course of history and ensure that no two sessions of the game are ever the same. I can end up as a wandering lordless official, a high-ranking functionary, or the emperor of a unified China. Like Sengoku Rance with less tits and more sandbox.

#6: Exile 3: This was a hard final choice, because I had to pick a game that I could play over and over without getting bored or dreading. There are better games out there, but Exile 3 is huge, very tactical, and allows for a lot of party configurations. I don't think I could play two complete campaigns back to back, though.

Honorable Mentions: Morrowind, Final Fantasy Tactics, Academagia (ok game, with a lot of replay value), Anachronox (for the story), Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, all the Spiderweb Software games before Avadon, Darklands, World of Xeen, Kamidori Alchemy Meister, Quest for Glory IV, Sword of Aragon, and all the Gold Box games. Brofist to the guy that mentioned Superhero League of Hoboken. I like that game, but still need to complete it!

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was visited in a dream by Athena, who handed me the following list and told me to share it here. I type it out in no particular order:

1. Ultima 7 (both parts)
2. Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome
3. Age of Decadence
4. Crescent Hawk's Inception
5. Baldur's Gate (both, but 1 if I have to pick).

6. Death Knights of Krynn.

The Goddess then told me that all other lists are illegitimate, before departing. Make of it what you will.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

My 5 (6) essentials:

1. Lavender, perfect for relaxation;
2. Valerian root, excellent sleeping aid;
3. Spearmint, helps with headaches;
4. Eucalyptus, clears out the sinuses;
5. Tea tree, in case you have a zit on your butt;
(6). Bergamot, just smells nice.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
My 5 (6) essentials:

You and Cleve should open a pharmacy.

PrettyDeadman

My 5 (6) essentials:

Bergamot smells and tastes terribly.

Mikodzi

Novice
Hello,
First 5 rpgs that came to my head:

1. Nox. First pseudo physics combat and full loot system game in my life. I think that this game made me so obsessed with skill based, full loot games. It also has nice story with some cool Easter eggs all around.
  2. Exanima (Sui Generis). Well, it’s everything I ever wanted from the game: dark and mysterious story, physics and skill based combat, full loot, awesome light and shadows system, steep learning curve. Despite the fact that it’s still in development I would took it nonetheless.
  3. Pillars of eternity 2. Don’t like how story was unfolded but everything else is pretty solid. Kudos to them for adding the turned based combat and removing first version chores such as actions per combat.
  4. Divinity Original Sin 2. It has a better story than the predecessor but it was still not very engaging for me personally. But the combat and its variety kept me very entertained. Love it’s freedom (killing all NPCs) and coop options.
  5. Kingdom Come. Well, I think that this game might break the bank when a proper modding tools will be released. It has so much potential which isn’t really used atm. But it is still a good game that I have enjoyed, mostly stealing everything and trying to shoot that freaking bow (whole archery is a damned laughable).
Sorry, haven’t played any of the Golden Box titles.

Kliwer

Savant
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis/Dragon Knight Saga/Directors Cut: Some games are just like coming home. This game will always have a special place in my heart, because of its idea and humour. Doesn't mean that the execution was always flawless (you can really see, where they had to cut trough budget issues), but this game is FUN. I love fun.

For me it is one of the most underestimated games of all time. There are not many better action-rpg’s. It is not as good as Gothic but still very enjoyable. I like its atmosphere: playing it is like taking part in power-metal video (Rhapsody! Hammerfall!). The music, the graphic, the story – everything is very heroic. The first chapter of the game is really great; a lot of choices in quests, wonderful exploration, good character development… If the rest of the game was as good as this first chapter the whole product would be one of my favorite cRPGs. Dragon fighting is a bit clunky (it is something like very old arcade-plane-simulator…) but the Battle Tower and mind-reading are pleasant additions.

There are two things worth mention.

One is the dungeons design. It is truly great! Designers were able to use their own action-oriented engine very well. There are a lot of puzzles and secrets in dungeons, but they are not typical for cRPG. Some parts of the game are like some kind of a clever platformer (what is brillant!). Levels are vast – not only horizontally but also vertically (which is rare in the genre). Some secrets are very hard to notice.

The second thing is the story. It is a typical heroic-fantasy tale but cleverly written. And… without happy-end! (unless till the expansion) I have read that some stupid players had problem with it; they were even sending letters to the developers with complaints… “Why there is no happy end?!” – they said – “It put me in a bad mood…” After I have read about it I’m not longer surprised that cRPGs become worst and worst.

rooroosta

Barely Literate
1. Dungeon Master
2. Legend Of Grimrock (and mods)
3. Lands Of Lore
4. Neverwinter Nights (SP, MP and mods)
5. Grimoire

and about 50 others that could have made the list.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I can rarely stand replaying content so I would focus on solid gameplay and replayability for the most part. In no order:

Zangband/Moria and variants
Sight Unseen: KoTC2 + modules
Final Fantasy XI
Ultima Online
Wizardry 8

Goldbox: FRUA and modules

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Arcanum: Even though it is deeply flawed in some aspects (shit encounters), it excels in so many areas and shows us what an RPG should be. Interesting non-generic setting, lots of choice and consequence, vastly different character builds that all play differently, NPCs reacting to a lot of different things, obscure secrets to discover. Nothing has managed to reach Arcanum yet.

Morrowind: Again, a flawed gem like Arcanum. The world is a bit too static, but the worldbuilding is excellent. Interesting, alien fantasy world with a sublime atmosphere, zero handholding, free exploration where you can actually get lost, lots of secrets to find, lore that is actually interesting to read, tons of equipment and equipment slots to fill with it, spellmaking, enchanting. Still the best first person exploration RPG out there.

Ultima Underworld: While Morrowind is my favorite first person RPG, this bad boy started it all. Multi-level dungeon to go through, different factions that you can either be friendly or foe-ly towards, excellent atmosphere, secrets to discover. Amazing game and the progenitor of an entire subgenre.

Dark Sun - Shattered Lands: This is kinda like Baldur's Gate, except 5 years earlier and 5 times better. Criminally underrated. It's got varied races and classes, including the badass thri-kreen and half-giants, it's did choice and consequence before it was cool, the setting and atmosphere are unique and much more interesting than the generic Sword Coast of BG1. Must-play. It also kinda qualifies as a Gold Box game if you're very generous, so Martyr can shut up about it :M

Baldur's Gate 2: This is the best game Bioware ever made. BG1 is bland, boring, trivial. The only reason BG1 is so popular is that it arrived on the market when good RPGs were rare. BG2 is the real deal. Much, much better setting with an interesting city that feels exotic, lots of the cool shit from the Forgotten Realms rather than the generic shit - you got a planar sphere, you got the underdark, you got an underwater sahuagin city, etc etc. Some of the best itemization in the genre: broken artifacts that you have to re-forge in order to use them, like the flail of ages. Consistently good encounter design throughout the game. This is some good shit.

For the sixth one I can't decide between Planescape Torment and Gothic 2 so I'll have to make it a tie between them and turn this into a list of 7 rather than 6 essential RPGs. Planescape Torment shows how storytelling in an interactive medium should be done. The story itself is fairly linear, but nevertheless shows you a lot of variation based on player actions. You can shape your character into any kind of character you want. The amensia cliche actually works well in the context of this game. Cool characters, cool setting, nothing generic about it whatsoever. Your alignment changes based on your actions rather than being selected at the start and never changing. Gothic 2 is maybe even better at exploration than Morrowind, it has an excellent open world that benefits from its smaller size and complete hand-craftedness. It also has 3 factions to choose from, a bunch of choice and consequence, action combat that works well with RPG stats (your controls become smoother and more forgiving the higher your skill is), awesome down-to-earth writing with mercenaries, commoners and whores actually talking like mercenaries, commoners and whores.

Martyr

Arcane
Dark Sun - Shattered Lands: This is kinda like Baldur's Gate, except 5 years earlier and 5 times better. Criminally underrated. It's got varied races and classes, including the badass thri-kreen and half-giants, it's did choice and consequence before it was cool, the setting and atmosphere are unique and much more interesting than the generic Sword Coast of BG1. Must-play. It also kinda qualifies as a Gold Box game if you're very generous, so Martyr can shut up about it :M

yeah, I'll let Dark Sun count as a substitute for the "real" Gold Box games.
unfortunately the combat in DS isn't as boardgame-like as in PoR etc. but imo the Dark Sun's have aged more gracefully and can provide greater fun to play nowadays.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Baldurs Gate Trilogy - heavy replayability thanks to mods. Baldurs Gate low level adventuring (with mods that add a lot of banter to all companions) is incredible fun, and seeing your character becoming more and more powerful while progressing through three games, is such a great feeling, that no other game was able to recapture.

Fallout Tales of Two Wastelands - Fallout 3 (DLCs) and Fallout NV (DLCs) combined, with mods on top of it. I play the Fallout 3 part of TTW as a hardcore survival shooter, trying to get things started, and closing ties with my past, and then settle for New Vegas after I am done with the main story, and maybe the DLC's. Fallout 3 world becomes bearable with all the improvements that NV brings with it, and the exploration aspect is really nice too.

Shin Megami Tensei IV / Apocalypse - Japanese grinder which can keep you occupied for hundreds of hours.

Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Redux - Japanese grinder which can keep you occupied for hundreds of hours.

Might & Magic VI
- It's such an incredible and comfy game. Gameplay was great, the art style was great, the music was amazing, and the loot system was addictive as fuck.

madrigal

Augur
1. Betrayal at Krondor
2. VtM: Bloodlines
3. Might and Magic 2
4. Dark Sun - Shattered Lands
5. Bloodstone

GB. Pool of Radiance

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom