Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Astral Rag

Arcane
58qr8VD.jpg

Any kodexers interested in playing monocled, vanilla-ish, Worms Armageddon games?

The best Worms game is available on Gabe's Store and comes with fanmade patches and tweaks. It works out of the box on modern OS. It's also being sold on GOG but I'm not sure if they include the fanmade patches. Unlike the more recent but almost identical Worms World Party WA still receives patches and love from fans.

Playing WA online is very easy thanks to WA's built-in WormNET feature. You can still find players online but sadly it's difficult to find a "normal game", it's mostly pro roper and other BS these days.

The recent WWP "Remaster" is hot garbage. There is a good fanmade patch for the original WWP though, you can find a link to it in our Unofficial patches for Thief and other PC games thread.

WMD is by far the best of the modern Worms games but it's still no WA or WWP and many features of the old games are missing. The physics and general gameplay are good but the new additions like vehicles and enterable buildings are mostly meh IMO. Unlike Worms Reloaded from 2010 this one does seem to have functional netcode and can be played online without randomly getting kicked to the main menu. Sadly, ranked WMD games have the modern additions enabled by default AFAIK.

So, exit Derpnite or whatever the online popamole du jour may be, turn off your Xboxes, put down the Mountain Dew, grab some beers, install WA, use this thread to organize games and get ready for a dose of MASSIVE gaming INCLINE in your lives.

I2eWrze.jpg

P.S. I'm sure this will become a high-traffic thread in no time so perhaps it would be best to sticky it right away.

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I used to play the hell out of that game. When it came out.
But when I tried to go for a few rounds a few years back it was indeed mostly people swinging around with ropes like crazy doing shots that just confused the hell out of me.
Basically, the skill level of people having played this for so many years is through the roof.

Anyway, it really is incredible that they are still patching it.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I have been playing on and off since I got my hands on the demo of the first game but since 2005 or so I mostly play offline when old friends visit.

Before Worms arrived my brother and me played another fun artillery game called Bang! Bang! on Windows 3.1. Maybe some of the other old folks here remember it too:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

grom

Educated
I find it funny that these guys made a game specifically about worms, and then ignored the major defining characteristic of a worm - they don't have limbs.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I played the shit out of WA back in the day against a group of friends. I tried reinstalling and playing it fairly recently but apparently most of my muscle memory has washed away with time because I was pretty bad at it for the most part.

Before Worms arrived my brother and me played another fun artillery game called Bang! Bang! on Windows 3.1. Maybe some of the other old folks here remember it too:
Before that shit, normal people used to play Tank Wars on MS DOS. Maybe some folks (who are not newfags) remember it.

88875.jpg
I know I played one of those kinds of games way back when, but I can't remember what it was called or even what OS it was on. Might have even been on an old mac.

Worms 3D. Fight your opponents. And the controls. And the camera.
My friends and I actually had a lot of fun with Worms 3D on the gamecube in spite of it being a pretty mediocre game.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I also used to play them Tank games. Don't remember there being any flashy colors though, but it's been a while...

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I have this game but I suck balls at it. I used to play it on PSX, but I think I have it on Steam now. Maybe we can work something out one of these days. Not too many fans of Worms around here. A lot of little faggots bee bopping around quite frankly. One of them earlier is no older than a nut rag I threw outside a decade ago, of that I am sure. The only worm he plays is the one in his pants. I'll be here all week.

Norfleet

I remember a version of this back before we had computers, back in the early 70s, when Charlie and I were playing it with real mortars and it was called "Vietnam".

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
D1PJDwp.jpg

I'm in the western part of the old world so the time difference could indeed be a problem.
When I last played video games with the codex I feel like everyone besides me who showed up was in Europe so you'll probably be fine.

zeitgeist

Magister
The absolute best thing about Scorched Earth was that you could easily edit the one-liners that were displayed before firing or dying, which was an excellent form of psychological warfare if your opponent was unaware of the feature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom