Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Daily remainder puzzles in RPGs is retarded design.

campaign_poe2.png

Campaign_KingMaker.png

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

"You are approaching the town center, with a giant fountain sporting four gargoyles on top of it, each facing a different direction. To the left lies a huge building of rough hewn stone, the only masonry work you've seen so far. A man in his late 20's slowly paces outside, wearing pieces of chain and leather armor, a battleaxe at his hip; he gives you not a glance. To your right are several wooden houses, so small they almost resemble huts except for their steep rooves. They look very basic but not crudely built. A woman approaches you, shouting and pointing towards a cart About 10 feet behind her; apparently she's hawking her wares. You remember you drained your last waterskin as you were crossing from the barrens of Ceilgreth into this lightly wooded shrubland. Gorth, the poison effect still lingers, but it's down to 1 HP/ turn. You still feel like some sense of foreboding and dread is hanging above your head since you've touched the idol in the temple; you're feeling better physically, but the ominous feeling has gotten stronger instead of receding. What do you do?"

"I rotate the four gargoyles on the fountain until they're facing each other."

:nocountryforshitposters:

Darth Canoli

Arcane

The retarded design is having traps everywhere on the paths people having laid these traps are walking daily, not only it's not fun, but it's retarded and worse, they can walk their traps even when they're 2 meters wide and they don't trigger it but of course, you do, even if you spotted them.

Some smart puzzles here and there; meaning not pushing buttons every other room; specially MM3>5 style is really fun, specially if there's a way to bypass some of them when you feel like it.

Barbalos

Savant
Most of the music is fairly generic sounding to be fair, but it fits the game well enough. It never sounded bad as I was playing, which is decent in itself.
That song in particular stood out to me, it's better than the battle themes in tons of games IMO.

Kayerts

Arcane
MMX also has some pretty cool music at some parts. Here's my favourite track, it's the boss battle music:

It's the best track in the game by far. My only complaint is that it feels like it was written for the first true boss of the game (the lighthouse roof naga). It's reused for every other boss in the game and suits them less well.

Barbalos

Savant
MMX also has some pretty cool music at some parts. Here's my favourite track, it's the boss battle music:

It's the best track in the game by far. My only complaint is that it feels like it was written for the first true boss of the game (the lighthouse roof naga). It's reused for every other boss in the game and suits them less well.

Yes I agree. It's disappointing that there isn't any unique boss themes. Even for the final battle IIRC (and I also didn't like the whole final battle sequence).

Kliwer

Savant
I find it strange when someone 1st choice is a dwarf and then its changed to elf...

Well, first of all I like Majesty (gameplay, art style and atmosphere) very much. Also – due to Tolkien’s books I like both races: dwarves and elves. In video games and movies I prefer dwarves because… adaptations of elves are a bit stupid and shallow for me. However I like concept of elves in Majesty: they are some king of hedonistic and roguish beings with inclinations to art and music. They also live in beautiful manors.

Thank you. :) Also high five for being a Majesty bro.

Lengyel, magyar – két jó barát, Együtt harcol s issza borát.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So, i paused my M&M 6 (TCC) playthrough (constant mana drain is tiring) to re-play Legacy.

Having lowered my expectation from the first playthrough (didn't finish the game), the game is quite enjoyable, they also probably improved the game's performances because i didn't have much issues so far (some unexpected lag here and there).

The team is level 23 already (i started a while back), about to get through the water area in the elemental temple to get the blessing.

I realize now they tried to come back to M&M roots in some area even if they made some retarded choices.

The good :
+++ Riddles
+ The combat part is well made
+ Boss fights
+ Relics and experience level, cool feature
+/- Consumables are useful (maybe to a fault, you rely too much on them )

Still, backtracking and traveling are the weak spots, there's areas blocked by shalassa blessing in every second dungeon/city and the dumb down spirit beacon is an insult to the Might & Magic legacy.
Also, i remember being able to buy town portal scrolls from the merchant near the castle. They seem to have disappeared with the DLC, total decline.

I've reach the point where the backtracking takes as much time as the actual gameplay, not sure i'm going to finish the game this time either but i'll try.

It was quite enjoyable so far but the "endgame" starts to get tedious.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You do know you can fast travel by carriages and ships? I usually plop down a spirit beacon right at the Karhal docks, that way I can always teleport from wherever and it's just a few steps to the stables or a ship.

With a strategic spirit beacon, horse/ship fast travel and the game being relatively small backtracking has always been a complete non-issue for me.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Good for you, a non issue for me is MM6's Lloyd's beacon system with so many locations recorded (with 2 PC with water magic) you can travel anywhere without having to walk for an entire game day.

Or better, like "the quest" (the game) system, intellect increasing the number of usable beacons.

Or like M&M III mirrors teleportation you in the area of your choice, providing you know the destination's name.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Good for you, a non issue for me is MM6's Lloyd's beacon system with so many locations recorded (with 2 PC with water magic) you can travel anywhere without having to walk for an entire game day.

I forgot, apart from the Lloyd's Beacon, stables and docks you can also fast travel through the Obelisks.

You never have to walk longer than a few dozen steps.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Of course, because in your version of the game, they're not in the middle of nowhere ?

Let's say a few dozen steps to get from a city to the closer obelisk (a few like 3 dozens ?), then the same from the targetted obelisk to the next dungeon area and then, the same amount to get to an area you didn't visit yet / was locked until now ...

Sounds amazing, console games didn't even invent such a shitty system.

It looks so much better than 6/12 teleport locations of your choosing just like in MM6 / The quest ...

Tigranes

Arcane
I remember finding backtracking a chore in Legacy, but it wasn't ever like you spent more time walking than playing. It certainly could have been better.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I remember finding backtracking a chore in Legacy, but it wasn't ever like you spent more time walking than playing. It certainly could have been better.

It could always be better, if there was a spell to teleport you from anywhere to any coordinate of your choosing for example. Maybe only one Beacon is a bit too few but if it takes 30 seconds max to walk between the furthest fast travel points I don't see it as a big deal. But that's me.

Barbalos

Savant
I never had much problem with transit in Legacy. There are a lot of obelisks in the relatively small world, carriage trips, ships, spirit beacon. It never takes more than a couple minutes to get to where you want to be if you actually know the best way. Unlike a lot of other MM games the zones aren't really sprawling, they're fairly tight and dense with stuff for the most part.

Kliwer

Savant
Ok, this game is very addictive. I haven’t had such a fun with any game for a long time.

Now I’m somewhere in the third chapter. Elemental Forge is almost done (only Shadow Chambers left), all class promotions are achieved. I have visited most parts of the overworld – now I’m reaching all parts requiring elemental blessings (water, air-teleporters). I skipped (for now) some dungeons – Tower of Enigma, some air temple in the mountains. Level 26. After cleaning all outdoor locations I will come back to Khartal to push main quest.

So, map is too small, riddles are too simple, bla, bla, bla… it doesn’t matter, the game is great. Only serious drawback in gameplay is lack of high level spells. Only one GM spell per school, really? And some of them are not even good (for example Earth final spell is very weak).

There are some annoying signs of low budget. For example all towns use the same tilset. It looks pretty unbelievably, especially in pirate town which should have some distinctive features (something more than red marks on walls). I think developers hadn’t any good artist in their team. The perfect example is a world map (this one in the game and this from promotional materials). In M&M games world maps were such a great piece of fantasy artwork… I love those maps from M&M 3-5. Maps from M&M 6-8 were much simpler, but this one from Legacy is just ugly. It means more to me than it should, but…

I find it purposeful to compare this game to Pillars of Eternity. The main idea of both games is similar: trying to emulate old game-style with some new features. In my opinion Legacy better updates the World of Xeen formula than PoE – Baldur’s Gate formula. It is a shame that it will be no Might and Magic XI… Developers had some very good ideas and good intuition. Next game, with some improvements and additions and with a bit bigger budget, could be a marvelous game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
M&MX is definitely a much, much better "update" than PoE. The only real issue I have with it is the setting, but for an exploration-heavy game like a blobber, this is a pretty big issue. Even with a bigger budget, this is always going to weigh a sequel down unless they can really mask it well with writing and a good story. I never had a problem with traveling in X - obelisks, caravans and ships, and Spirit Beacon were enough really. Yeah, it's dumb you can't place two or three beacons, but eh, it wasn't *that* big of a deal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom