Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Solanacean

Educated
This is code from the mid-2000s circa 2008 or so. Where'd you get this from?
From the executable file of the latest version of the game (2.0.0.20). I was debugging it trying to see if I can force borderless windowed mode and whether it would solve the problem with Alt-Tab. I don't have the source code of course, the code above is a result of disassembling the executable's binary code. It's part of the initialization code in WinMain - actual working part too, not just some dead code which by some miracle avoided being thrown out by compiler/linker during dead code elimination phase. It isn't just sitting there taking space, it gets executed.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm noticing lots of problems with stacks. Besides the notable issue of being unable to separate stacks, In particular if I combine stacks, sometimes I'm left with fewer than before. I put together two stacks of 12 fire arrows, and ended up with 6 fire arrows. Same thing happens with potions of invisibility.

Tokens only stack to 254, but Vending machines will change any token stack greater than 126 into exactly 126 tokens, eating the rest. Also, if you buy the last thing in a vending machine, you lose all the rest of your tokens in the stack you put into the machine.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 46 minutes ago
I will be fixing these issues in the next update. I think it is caused by a bad edit in the item data where the item is set as both stackable and charged.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I got into a fight with Ahriman when he demanded my tablet. His gaze attack went wrong and he instagibbed himself and all his accompanying troops. It was a bit anticlimactic.

GandGolf

Augur
I'm noticing lots of problems with stacks. Besides the notable issue of being unable to separate stacks, In particular if I combine stacks, sometimes I'm left with fewer than before. I put together two stacks of 12 fire arrows, and ended up with 6 fire arrows. Same thing happens with potions of invisibility.

Tokens only stack to 254, but Vending machines will change any token stack greater than 126 into exactly 126 tokens, eating the rest. Also, if you buy the last thing in a vending machine, you lose all the rest of your tokens in the stack you put into the machine.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 46 minutes ago
I will be fixing these issues in the next update. I think it is caused by a bad edit in the item data where the item is set as both stackable and charged.

This just goes to show what a terrible programmer Cleve is, The reason he only does contract work is because he is too incompetent to hold down a real job.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
So I got into a fight with Ahriman when he demanded my tablet. His gaze attack went wrong and he instagibbed himself and all his accompanying troops. It was a bit anticlimactic.

He's not supposed to be a big boss encounter. I did up his fizzle and backfire a little because he is not supposed to be as almighty as he claims. That's actually hilarious his gaze attack killed himself and his entire entourage. About three years ago I stopped taking any character seriously in the game and decided to make Ahriman a Pythonesque figure.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I slew the psychopomp with a lethal blow in the first few rounds of combat both times I played, like all the bosses.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I don't know if the bosses should be more difficult, but the "Hall of Gorrors" level at the end was pretty underwhelming in my opinion. In Wizardry 7 there were at least a couple that were very difficult, eg. Beast of 1000 eyes.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I don't know if the bosses should be more difficult, but the "Hall of Gorrors" level at the end was pretty underwhelming in my opinion. In Wizardry 7 there were at least a couple that were very difficult, eg. Beast of 1000 eyes.

I slew the Beast of 1000 Eyes with a critical hit about 4 rounds in. I had been killed several times before I learned to develop critical hit on the Fairie Ninja.

SevenSidedDice

Learned
Personally, I rate Shelach most challenging boss.

I'm using the default party and she only managed to kill two of my characters.

Even with every character at level 10/11, I still fear Monarch Nettles and Dragonflies.

I remember struggling against ?squirrel?s.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, those were the days....

tenor.gif

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I guess the thing is that if you know what you're doing, the bosses become relatively easy.

My first encounter with the Samhain Horror was a clusterfuck where I was glad to defeat him at all with a couple losses. On second playthrough I steamrolled through him in one round. So for a first playthrough where you don't "do everything right", the bosses are quite challenging. For experienced min-maxers, much less so.

SevenSidedDice

Learned
Definitely agree. I only really started using every mechanic seriously when I entered Nerukruel Pyramid and couldn't escape. I somehow managed to finish Avian Mountains without using Detect Secret most of the time (pushable bricks are a different color) and finished Crowl without knowing about it at all!

This is also why I think having a manual is decline. Discovering how the game works is half the fun, and the rest is when you're OP enough to nerf god-tier bosses. What's amusing is that their cronies are now stronger than the bosses you used to struggle against but you're so damn sharp now that they're hot butter.

Without the manual, people would be stuck and that is a good thing.

Incendax

Augur
Started a new game. Cleric + Cleric in the front lines.
This turned out to be a hilarious horrible mistake.
Forget the armored clerics of D&D, these guys can't wear squat!
Even the lowly Thaumaturge can wear leather hats and the cleric can't.
:negative:

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

Grimwah really requires tanks to be tanky. IOW, you definitely want shields, heavy armor and high HP on those two. I now go with Bonus HP on character creation for the tanks. You might say it won't matter in the long run for fighting classes, but it saves you a lot of trouble and most of all time in the beginning.

Cael

Arcane
DnD clerics originally didn't have any attack spells and were basically bless/prayer or heal bots. They needed a secondary function or it would be boring to play them, hence the armour and blunt weapons. And then 2nd Ed gave them attack spells, and 3.x made them into CoDzilla...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom