Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 7

Sykar

Arcane
Bullshit. This is nothing but "Muh original, muh original". The color was not sucked out of the place. It is fucking night and there is not much light in many places.

You don't seem to comprehend the objective truth that there is a fundamental change in core art direction. Blue-painted drywalls turned into brown wall panelling. The backs of chairs go from red to brown. The art gallery statue turns from green to the usual achromatic choice.

While you're free to prefer the REmake's different approach, you're not free to deny that it is in fact fundamentally different at its core with its change in color scheme, and a little unfaithful in this regard. Hell I even provided clear proof.

Shifting the goal posts now are we? I have no problem to acknowledge that there were some changes in terms of tone. All for the better. RE 1 Remake is one of the few great remakes which improves upon the original facet. For that to happen though there was no way that they could have continued with such a goofy looking and sounding game. The production values of RE 1 original were shit, utter garbage in fact. You are free to like the original over the remake but that was not what you claimed. You claimed that the remake was shit because of the change of the tone which objectively it is not. The graphics blow the PS 1 version away and there is no argument to be had that the original was in any way shape or form better in any facet. They even kept the tank controls the same with some improvements. They could have opted for complete 3D remake and controls like RE 4. Luckily they wanted to capture and improve the original and not make a complete overhaul.
Some things have changed like for example defensive items and you might not have liked such things but that is personal preferences. If you would have kept your opinion as just that I would have never responded to you in the first place.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also remake has plenty of colour variety in different areas. Sure you can cherry pick a bunch of brown looking areas, but it's pretty easy to find others.

Sykar

Arcane
Also remake has plenty of colour variety in different areas. Sure you can cherry pick a bunch of brown looking areas, but it's pretty easy to find others.

Even if it were not, thanks to decent voice actors and well done environmental graphics and 3D models have improved upon the atmosphere tenfold. The original is a cult classic despite the shit production values, not because of it.

Ash

Arcane
REmake is shit on the whole? I never made that claim. I just dislike the brown turd syndrome/turd filter/monochromatic art direction and the subtle neutering of the music. Never made any other insinuations or claims. You people are getting needlessly defensive over legitimate criticism. Classic fanboy fallacy.

Really? There's no cherry picking about it. It's much less than the original almost across the board. Open your eyes.

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
I enjoy both art directions, but prefer the original as a whole. I think the color scheme is pretty unique and gives it some nice Euro-horrorish vibes, although more likely the main influences were Sweet Home (game and movie) as well as Hausu (the movie). Going for a more Gothic approach in the REmake was fine though.

Besides, I think the original is a cult classic precisely for the cheesy B-movie atmosphere, as well as the live action intro in all its cheesy glory. It was a massive mainstream success back in the day, however, very much due to its high production values. To call it shit just because there exists a game that was made many years after, having the benefit of better technology, is some decline-level faggotry.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Indeed. The only thing that was clearly skimped on in the original was the dialogue, which remake addresses, yet still is a little cheesy in itself only without the so bad it's good factor.

I think the color scheme is pretty unique and gives it some nice Euro-horrorish vibes

Try simply more realistic, visually varied and appealing rather than EVERYTHING being monochromatic. But again, people are free to prefer the REmake's approach, if that's what they're attached to. It certainly contributes to an oppressive atmosphere a little.

Silent Hill was also rather monochromatic (although less so than REmake), another classic.

Last edited:
Bullshit. This is nothing but "Muh original, muh original". The color was not sucked out of the place. It is fucking night and there is not much light in many places. The atmsphere is leaps and bounds better than in the original which was too bright and has aged like shit. RE 1 Remake looks great and will age well for years to come.

And lets not forget that awful intro from the original

Voice acting throughout the entire game was pure garbage and went contrary to the actual intended tone due to the unwittingly involuntary comedic dialogues.

Lastly the game library is completely meaningless for a game to game comparison but while we are at it, the Metroid Prime series is probably better than anything the PS has to offer, or at the very least as good as any of the best games the PS1 has to offer.

Wonky voice acting with funny quotable lines and the original intro only added to the whole B movie flavor of the original game. That's the things I miss most from the Resident Evil remake.

We also got a shitty version of the games intro:

Sage Saturn version is still my favorite version of that game.

Indeed. The only thing that was clearly skimped on in the original was the dialogue, which remake addresses, yet still is a little cheesy in itself only without the so bad it's good factor.

I think the color scheme is pretty unique and gives it some nice Euro-horrorish vibes

Try simply more realistic, visually varied and appealing rather than EVERYTHING being monochromatic. But again, people are free to prefer the REmake's approach, if that's what they're attached to. It certainly contributes to an oppressive atmosphere a little.

Silent Hill was also rather monochromatic (although less so than REmake), another classic.

I've heard the weird voice acting is the result of editing multiple takes together to be what sounded coolest to the non-English speaking Japanese team.

RE6 isn't RE game but action game with RE skin. IDK how can you put in above ANY RE game.

Resident Evil as a series has been action games ever since Resident Evil 2 came along and gave you a machine gun and so much ammo you'd never have to worry about running out. Resident Evil 6 just happens to be the one with the best gameplay mechanics of the whole series.

A user named cat

Avoiding posts in this topic so I won't be spoiled but I just found out about this game last week. I'm slow. Had no idea a new RE had came out and it's finally something different, about time. I kind of agree with Falksi, it does feel pretty scripted but I'm still enjoying it for the thrill ride it is. It's been great to play late at night with surorund sound cranked up. Feels like playing a found footage horror movie. Can't believe RE has gone first person, how very master race of Capcom. Visual and lighting effects are great but damn the textures blurry up close. At least it runs good as a result. I can already say this is leagues better than shitty 5 and 6.

Not a Hero seems like it could have used some RE6 melee, counters, dodge, and slide moves. It's kind of weird seeing these kinds of things showing up in first person shooters recently only for them not to be in this game's action focused Chris DLC. Although I could almost understand why maybe they wouldn't want to go that RE6 melee stamina system, even if it'd be a whole different style of game, because End of Zoe is all about the melee combat. I almost wonder if End of Zoe's melee system was a one point part of the Not a Hero game.

Deflowerer

Arcane
It's also the translation, generally the translators have taken fair liberties with the source material (and cranking up the cheese).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally started this last night. Whatever you may (rightly) say about its departures from the series, this is a top notch horror game. Even the opening cutscene did what it was supposed to do to make me care about the characters and put the horror in a believable context.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Disappointed, didn't expect this to have years-old bugs that make the game unplayable. After 5 hours with no problems, game now crashes every 3 minutes, not even enough time to have a boss fight then run to a typewriter room. Playthrough stalled. :argh:

Pharad

Novice
Am I the only one who feels that RE7 is much more immersive than RE2 just because of the FPS camera rather than the over the shoulder look? I love both games very much, but always felt more like I was actually there playing RE 7

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm going to wait until I get a VR headset to play. I've heard this game is scary as shit with VR.

Zombra

Patron
I'm going to wait until I get a VR headset to play. I've heard this game is scary as shit with VR.
If you're getting a headset in the next 6 months, this is OK. If you're "maybe I'll get a headset someday", then fuck you, play this now.

Perkel

Arcane
played it on PS4 in VR and by far one of the best VR games and one of the best RE games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom