Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Baron Dupek

Arcane
We ballin' now, boys.

USbGc03.jpg
nice headhunter bruh

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Welp, died at 92 to being an idiot. Ele reflect map, ran multiple ones before, but this time I was just too greedy. Activated vaal coldsnap, ran into 50 mobs, turns out I was missing 1 soul so I didnt have vaal CS up, and then panicked by using vortex. Insta-selfkill. Time to reroll and see if the changes to DD/Cremation made my favourite build even better.

On a sidenode, tricksters Ghost Shroud node is absolutely fucking busted.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Welp, died at 92 to being an idiot. Ele reflect map, ran multiple ones before, but this time I was just too greedy. Activated vaal coldsnap, ran into 50 mobs, turns out I was missing 1 soul so I didnt have vaal CS up, and then panicked by using vortex. Insta-selfkill. Time to reroll and see if the changes to DD/Cremation made my favourite build even better.

On a sidenode, tricksters Ghost Shroud node is absolutely fucking busted.
F

Thankfully my chaos build is immune to such shenanigans.

Took my soulrend trickster to red maps in mostly SSF gear, though I'm just playing hybrid without EV and acrobatics. The first thing I bought was an essence worm and the rest were just cheap rare upgrades to beef up a little, got like 1-1.5k extra EHP (sitting at 4.2k health 2.3k shield and 1.7k mana with mom atm), mostly for a peace of mind, since I wasn't really threatened yet, aside from a cluster of those chaos turret thingies in incursions with an open layout.

Also where's my prestigious invite at.

:rpgcodex:

Post your IGN here plox. Faster this way methinks.

Aye my bad, I forgot how that guild business works - BeegMoog is the name

Also I died like a dipshit on my 89 lvl trickster, on reef boss of all places (lul), got complacent during the dodging phase and got hit with a bunch of shit simultaneously. Whatevs though, divine ire totems here I come.

T. Reich

Arcane

Post your IGN here plox. Faster this way methinks.

Aye my bad, I forgot how that guild business works - BeegMoog is the name

Also I died like a dipshit on my 89 lvl trickster, on reef boss of all places (lul), got complacent during the dodging phase and got hit with a bunch of shit simultaneously. Whatevs though, divine ire totems here I come.

You're now invited into x-Klusive Kodexian Klub.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
i skipped syndicate, probably going to play SC this time

I am kinda burned out of playing HC, feels like there is better use of my time than re-rolling every single time

ortucis

Prophet
So, I started playing this game yesterday and have played it for about 19 hrs (on a break from Grim Dawn). Combat is fun but as far as the story and dialogues are concerned, this game is fucking terrible.

After so many hours, I realized I still have no idea what the fuck I am doing, why I am fighting everywhere and why these people keep sending me to kill monsters. All I know is that some woman called Piety is up to no good, since she keeps showing up in some quests, and they are experimenting on people?

It's like this game is trying way too hard to be all mysterious and cool, using made up asinine words to make the most banal shit boring plot sound interesting. I can't even recall any other character than Piety, cause everybody is so.. forgettable.

Anyway, that said, I like the combat and the music (figuring out how to rip it out of the game files) and visually the game is better than Grim Dawn (which isn't awful looking itself). But holy fuck I am not invested in this game world at all. I need to go back and review some story elements, which I don't think is possible in-game since quest log doesn't seem to exist like it normally does, else I won't be able to finish this game at all.

Also, I just found it funny that some guys in-game, with over a thousand hours, were as confused about the story as I was. :lol:

EDIT: Also, the gem/jewel system is better than Grim Dawn's.

User was nabbed fit

Yeah, most people don't play for the story. Much in the same way that they don't go to a burger bar for a salad.

:M

Saark

Arcane
Patron
So, I started playing this game yesterday and have played it for about 19 hrs (on a break from Grim Dawn). Combat is fun but as far as the story and dialogues are concerned, this game is fucking terrible.

After so many hours, I realized I still have no idea what the fuck I am doing, why I am fighting everywhere and why these people keep sending me to kill monsters. All I know is that some woman called Piety is up to no good, since she keeps showing up in some quests, and they are experimenting on people?

It's like this game is trying way too hard to be all mysterious and cool, using made up asinine words to make the most banal shit boring plot sound interesting. I can't even recall any other character than Piety, cause everybody is so.. forgettable.

Anyway, that said, I like the combat and the music (figuring out how to rip it out of the game files) and visually the game is better than Grim Dawn (which isn't awful looking itself). But holy fuck I am not invested in this game world at all. I need to go back and review some story elements, which I don't think is possible in-game since quest log doesn't seem to exist like it normally does, else I won't be able to finish this game at all.

Also, I just found it funny that some guys in-game, with over a thousand hours, were as confused about the story as I was. :lol:

EDIT: Also, the gem/jewel system is better than Grim Dawn's.
There a lot of backstory if you're actively looking for it. Most NPCs in cities have dozens of voiced monologues when you start a quest, finish a quest, or find a new NPC/Master. Theres a shitton of lore to be found in most areas as well, giving you some backstory for the respective zone. Most of these you can click and either stand still or read, or run away and the voiceover for these will continue regardless.
The story isn't shoved into your face, since it would scare a lot of people away who just want to mindlessly slaughter shit, but if you're actually interested in it, theres a lot of story to be found from NPCs, lore-items and unique flavor-text. Theres also a 4-episode comic about the general backstory with many of the main-characters, some of which you meet ingame or have multiple iconic items, as well as a comprehensive ~230page .pdf lore compilation.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
That wasnt the problem though. Thinking I can pop a pack of porkies when its "dodge is unlucky" on a 75/75 dodge character was the mistake.

I just had a sudden realization.

Victario's charity's
10% chance to grant a Power Charge to nearby Allies on Kill
5% chance to grant a Frenzy Charge to nearby Allies on Hit
will be pretty insane on HoP/dom blow guardian:

Frenzy charges:

:shredder:

Brb, farming chance orbs.

I mean, it should work without necro aegis, right?

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
There a lot of backstory if you're actively looking for it. Most NPCs in cities have dozens of voiced monologues when you start a quest, finish a quest, or find a new NPC/Master. Theres a shitton of lore to be found in most areas as well, giving you some backstory for the respective zone. Most of these you can click and either stand still or read, or run away and the voiceover for these will continue regardless.
The story isn't shoved into your face, since it would scare a lot of people away who just want to mindlessly slaughter shit, but if you're actually interested in it, theres a lot of story to be found from NPCs, lore-items and unique flavor-text. Theres also a 4-episode comic about the general backstory with many of the main-characters, some of which you meet ingame or have multiple iconic items, as well as a comprehensive ~230page .pdf lore compilation.

You know, I can see how this game's focus is on gameplay over story/lore. Most people playing it online seem to be oblivious to what this game is about, from what I've seen, and are in it only for killing and loot. Which is fine and I can't really count this as a negative for a F2P game like this.

That said, as a solo player, I have finished every side quest and gone through all dialogue options for all NPCs so far. It's just all so uninteresting that now that I am in Act 3, I am trying to remember what they were rambling about. I still can't recall anything interesting story-wise or any characters that stood out. There are some pages/audio logs that show up during some quests too, at least they make more sense and tell me why I was there in the first place. I guess I'll have to go through some of that lore you linked then or just restart the game with a new character build and try REALLY hard to focus on this game (don't even know why all of the dialogue is voiced).

Still though, I have never played an RPG with such an awful story and dialogues. Even Bethesda can do better in this department..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom