Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

Deleted Member 16721

Indeed! I'm excited about the single save slot and the random scenarios when dying. Should make for excellent and tense exploration and combat.

Hassar

Scholar
I like the idea. The grit and difficulty of an adventure is usually glossed over in games partially due to you being a Mary or Marty Stu with plot armor. A more realistic approach with dirt and diarrhea from drinking unprepared water would make certain skills and character types more useful.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So "make your own fun" and no actual decent content of its own. Cool, just like a Bethesda gaeme.

:killit:

My guess (note - guess) is that it will feature some questing but the majority of the story will be your own creation, how you survived in the wilds, how you hunted and managed to slay some ferocious beast, the secrets you discovered on your travels. This is not a bad thing, in fact it's a great thing as 99% of RPGs force-feed you the story and you have no choice but to oblige. Kenshi was refreshing because you don't "make your own fun", but because of the systems in the game the fun is presented to you in a unique way and it becomes "your" story. So this game will likely be similar, the fun comes but it will be a different experience for everyone. I do also expect it to have some quests, too, in the traditional sense. But it's going to be a great incline of a CRPG since it will deviate from the norm and do its own unique thing (or at least be a Kenshi-like which we definitely need.)
disagree. scripted content is still king. there have been no "make your own story" games that hold me more than several hours

Deleted Member 16721

disagree. scripted content is still king. there have been no "make your own story" games that hold me more than several hours

Kenshi would be my choice for that type of gameplay. But it seems like the game will have plenty of handcrafted quest content, mixed in with the survival, "make your own story" gameplay. So it should be the best of both worlds.

kintake

Savant

Kenshi would be my choice for that type of gameplay. But it seems like the game will have plenty of handcrafted quest content, mixed in with the survival, "make your own story" gameplay. So it should be the best of both worlds.
You need to break up with Kenshi dude, you're completely codependent and she's got you fawning over her like she's the freaking Venus de Milo. She's just using you bro, can't you see that? I'm worried about you!

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I don't know why, but it looks like shit. I expected more from the Lumberjack engine. After all it's the successor of the Cryengine. Crysis from 2007 still looks better.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Epic Store gets exclusive... pre-order: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/outward/

Steam version will be released at the same day but without pre-order, it will give the pre-order bonus during the first week whatever they are: https://steamcommunity.com/app/794260/discussions/0/1842441871278712653/

Update about Outward on the pre-order bonus on Steam

I am now able to say what's going on regarding the pre-orders for PC. Some of you already noticed that the game is available for pre-order on the Epic store and not on Steam, and you expressed your worries that this would mean Outward would be exclusive to their store.

I can assure you that Outward will be released on Steam as well on launch day. However, there will be no pre-order possible on Steam. Because we didn't want players to be unable to get the pre-order bonus if they decide to play on Steam, anyone who buys the game on Steam during the first week after launch will also get the bonus content (the pearlbird pet and the fireworks).

Well I have to guess the dev did his best to suppress their publisher, Deep Silver.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

the problem with kenshi for me is that there is no higher level of objective. A goal is must.There isnt really an endgame in it, all the motivation when you play the game is 100% intrinsic. Like you can just mine shit for 9900 hours. That kind of thing is rarely a motivator for me to play.

Compared to something like, not an RPG, but also free-form, zelda breath of the wild.

The key part is botw have an end goal to achieve: defeating ganon. You can go straight up to ganon naked, armed with a stick, but most people can't. The whole game is just you trying to get stronger so you can defeat ganon.

However you do this is up to you. Dont have to get the equipments,special suits, or weapons, nothing is mandatory in that game except ganon, but unless you have ultra instinct, you at least have to do some of them, and it doesnt restrict you to do which one, in which order. If you feel you are strong enough to take him on, you can go with alot of content skipped.

If you wanna explorr and experience the game's contents, then feel free to hoard weapons of mass destructions and go to ganon with a basically firepower of a small army.

I think botw, for me is the perfect balance of do whatever, while still keeping the main objective in sight. Always.

I would like a proper RPG made like that, with real RPG system, and complex dialogue mechanics instead of just action game.

Deleted Member 16721

Kenshi's story is what you make it. I appreciate that in a game that is a bit different. I would also like BotW too, and wouldn't compare them. But Outward seems to have plenty of handmade content and will probably be similar more to BotW in that you can likely skip some content and still get to the endgame, which is scripted questing. But your goal is also to survive the elements, so that's part of your story and experience too. I'm not sure what the endgame will be in Outward though. Is the story 'find your father' or was someone joking when they said that? It seems you just have to survive and pay back a huge debt or something, not sure.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Yeah, to early to tell, but i really quite looking forward to it. At least we know the environment are really varied and some playstyle are quite different.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Fluent

Okay, so i actually looked deeper at this game. Watched some videos, since a youtuber mentioned an ending, there is at least a context and an endgame to what you are doing.

And as for others, man, the system sounds incline as hell. One thing i am kinda doubtful is the only one save system. Not because it is inherently bad, but if a bug should happen, it can screw your playtrough.AAlso it kinda trigger the autist inside me.

But other than that the game looks pretty excellent, and as you say, really Botw like. There is even a clothing system that is connected with the weather and environments you are in. Gothic like levelling (has to train, have to do a ritual to unlock magic, etc) yeah sounds pretty amazing.

And the release is 26th? Nice i guess. I guess, depending on how buggy it is, might purchase early

Deleted Member 16721

Fluent

Okay, so i actually looked deeper at this game. Watched some videos, since a youtuber mentioned an ending, there is at least a context and an endgame to what you are doing.

And as for others, man, the system sounds incline as hell. One thing i am kinda doubtful is the only one save system. Not because it is inherently bad, but if a bug should happen, it can screw your playtrough.AAlso it kinda trigger the autist inside me.

But other than that the game looks pretty excellent, and as you say, really Botw like. There is even a clothing system that is connected with the weather and environments you are in. Gothic like levelling (has to train, have to do a ritual to unlock magic, etc) yeah sounds pretty amazing.

And the release is 26th? Nice i guess. I guess, depending on how buggy it is, might purchase early

Yeah, definitely looks like big incline, I'm excited. I'm picking it up day one. The one save file is a bonus for me, it makes you live with consequences of your actions, hopefully nothing is too buggy though as you mention. This is going to be a sleeper hit I feel.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm hoping it'd get to gog or at least humble bundle where I can download an installer and have done.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Does anyone know if it restricts you to one save slot per character or one save slot only?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Sounds promising other than the fact they can't even be bothered to spellcheck their features.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Hold up a second...

- Only one save slot
- Manually saves after every decision/consequence
- Timed main quests
- No pause option

This is bad design for a singleplayer game.
It would only be a waste of 30 hours if you didn't really enjoy that 30 hours and were just wanting to get somewhere. But if the journey is as fun as the destination then permadeath doesn't matter. Big if though, but it can be done. I like the idea of making decisions and there being no turning back. As long as the decisions and the outcomes make sense. p.s. I bet the save game file will be in a folder somewhere and you could copy it and replace the current one in a disaster. I would rather that not be the case though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom