Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

Ent

Savant
Apparently rawhide improves your wire snatch.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Seems like the hype train is in full choo-choo mode for this game.

Have not played any of these since the first, back in the far mists of time... any reason I should play 2 - 4 or just jump straight on 5?

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Definitely play 3 and 4, they are short, have aged well, story isn't bad at all, have unique weapons (Agni & Rudra in 3 is still my favourite primary weapon in the entire franchise) that don't return in subsequent games and of course music still kick ass :whiteknight:

sullynathan

Arcane

Have not played any of these since the first, back in the far mists of time... any reason I should play 2 - 4 or just jump straight on 5?
Play 3 because 5 is a thorough improvement over 4. Only play 4 because nero, the primary protagonist, gets introduced in that game.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
4 is worth playing. Even with the backtracking is a great game. Has some great bosses, I like some of the locations, the gameplay is fantastic, game looks very good for its age and runs very well.

Steezus

Savant
Patron

Eh, I'd go for 5. Play it while it's hot and go back to the older games eventually. 5 might just be the best out of the bunch and by and large, the characters play the same, so it's not like you're missing out on much.

And while 4 is mechanically great, it might also kill your momentum in its unfished state and horrid backtracking.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
D1hgG-vV4AArcxR.jpg

Israfael

Arcane
Doggo boss fight was fun, but how on Earth I'm supposed to beat last stage Urizen without using orb? His kicks remove almost a quarter of HP bar and it's impossible to attack him in any way and dodge stuff simultaneously. I even saved the SDT for that time and it was not enough, apparently

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Still on Mission 15.
The level design here is so far the best in the game. Multiple paths and challenges plus a secret mission. I also like the aesthetics a lot.
Will there be anymore levels after this one that are as non-linear?

Negative. Only 2 missions feature non-linear elements that I crave. Glad that I at least got some of them before the ending. :)

Well that's a shame. Still at least we got some. Hope inn the future DLC's the level are more like this.

With good reason the game is fucking great.

Well if you really want to get in the series I say play the 3 (because it's the first chronologically and the 2nd best) and then 1 (not only because it comes soon after the 3 in the timeline, but because even despite it's age it's still a very good game and simply more fun 4, plus it's a classic). 3 takes about 12 hours and 1 takes 6 hours. Also 1 and 3 are the most important games in series story-wise.
Skip 2 and 4. 2 is an unfinished game as well as 4 (but 2 takes prize of being unfinished and unpolished), plus 5 is a vast improvement over 4 in every way.
And after beating 3 and 1, watch a video recap of the series on youtube, because 5 has story elements from even all other pieces of media relating to DMC (I am talking novels, manga and anime). Here's a link to the one I saw.

However if you really want to just play 5, then just watch that recap and jump rigth in. But I really recommend you to complete 1 and 3, they're both great games.

Ivan

Arcane
Tomboy is nuts. It's like Nero's equivalent to Dante SDT. Also gets rid of the aim reticle.

Also, game confusing me by switching the moveset for Dante's new sword compared to his old ones.
:shredder::rage::kingcomrade:

Suicidal

Arcane

Skip 2 and 4. 2 is an unfinished game as well as 4 (but 2 takes prize of being unfinished and unpolished), plus 5 is a vast improvement over 4 in every way.
And after beating 3 and 1, watch a video recap of the series on youtube, because 5 has story elements from even all other pieces of media relating to DMC (I am talking novels, manga and anime). Here's a link to the one I saw.

However if you really want to just play 5, then just watch that recap and jump rigth in. But I really recommend you to complete 1 and 3, they're both great games.

I'd still play 4. It's fun and has some of the best boss fights in the series (as well as some of the worst). Backtracking and content recycling can be annoying though.

Ivan

Arcane
issues I'd like to see addressed:

-lock-on is finicky, seldom works and forces me to re-position

-wish you could set Enemy Settings BEFORE loading into the Void

-it seems dumb to me that you cant use the directional special Triangle attacks with Rebellion/Sparda (the shockwave & the 4 phantom blades)

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

I think I will jump into 5, DMC as a narrative series is not that big a deal for me I just like the gameplay. I did beat 1 many years ago but dont remember much about it other than great gameplay. I can always carry on with previous titles if I have a massive hard on for more DMC after playing 5.

Anyway thanks for the helpful info guys and gals (?).

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
-it seems dumb to me that you cant use the directional special Triangle attacks with Rebellion/Sparda (is this correct? forward+atk & back+atk do nothing?) and can only be done with the Super Dante sword
Haven't played DMCV, but in DMC1 you could only perform command attacks when holding down the lock-on button, so it's lockon -> back+atk

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
"I think Kamiya-san makes good games. However, I think they, the systems, gameplay elements in his game tend to be rather shallow and he makes up with that through stylish presentation. I think if you were to compare them directly, the combat and other gameplay elements in Ninja Gaiden II are much deeper than projects that he works on.

...In my games its all based on a back and forth with the enemies, its very interactive. You feel like you're pushed to the brink but you manage to survive, the enemies are as out to get you as you are to get them. Whereas other types of action games, one of which being Devil May Cry, enemies exist there as objects on which you unleash your attacks."

21k0crd.gif

Wunderbar

Arcane
"I think Kamiya-san makes good games. However, I think they, the systems, gameplay elements in his game tend to be rather shallow and he makes up with that through stylish presentation. I think if you were to compare them directly, the combat and other gameplay elements in Ninja Gaiden II are much deeper than projects that he works on.

...In my games its all based on a back and forth with the enemies, its very interactive. You feel like you're pushed to the brink but you manage to survive, the enemies are as out to get you as you are to get them. Whereas other types of action games, one of which being Devil May Cry, enemies exist there as objects on which you unleash your attacks."

21k0crd.gif

220px-Devils_Third_boxart.jpg

Ivan

Arcane
good job playing on Normal

in all seriousness, i'd love to have the Ninja Gaiden games on PC, I've not had the chance to properly try them out.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
My moment of zen came not as the burlapped elf men playfully dangled tin cans from sticks or when the show-closing music swelled as images of Xbox Live Avatars flew against a starry sky. For me, the highlight of the evening was watching Ninja Gaiden creator Tomonobu Itagaki walk into the event in his white robe, taking in the scene behind his traditional sunglasses. He looked around a few times, stood quietly for a few moments and then turned around and left.
kinect-20100613113259660.jpg

Tehdagah

Arcane

21k0crd.gif

Supposedly the multiplayer was good.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane

21k0crd.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

21k0crd.gif

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
lol I just realized Scalebound's protagonist looks like Nero.

Dragon Arm Devil Breaker DLC when?

Jinn

Arcane
Found something interesting tonight while sweeping up some S rank missions in Devil Hunter difficulty (I'm about halfway through my SOS playthrough and decided to distract myself a bit). It seems that if each player has completed a multi-character mission (or the entire campaign?) prior to playing the mission again, they can actually engage in real-time co-op for a fair part of the mission. Tonight I was actually playing with someone for about half of M07. In my initial playthrough, I only had a co-op portion when I was fighting the boss, and it seemed like I was playing with "data." This time, I was playing as V, and played with an obviously real-time Nero from the subway station forward. Pretty cool.

Sorry if someone already mentioned this and I didn't see it or something.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
They have to experiment more the Cameo system. It's an interesting take on Co-Op.

King Cerberus was a kick ass fight. As well as Urizen's form after consuming the Fruit. I thought the Urizen of Mission 12 was kinda weak (not bad or mediocre just anti-climatic), but this final form made up for it.

Also did anyone else thought that Vergil's face was a bit odd since it was different. I mean, him and Dante are twins don't look exactly the same. But then I remembered Vergil possibly didn't age since he spent all this time in Hell.

Griffon and Shadow are also pretty sweet to fight (they even brought back Shadow's music).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom