Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment PS:T + Lustmord

grom

Educated
You should check out the videos on YouTube, there's lots of them comparing Fallout tracks to dark ambient composers. I think Aphex Twin was the major one but others got ripped off too.

Man, I was not expecting that level of similarity. Thought I was just gonna recognise a sample here or there, but those Fallout "compositions" are blatant ripoffs.

roshan

Arcane
You should check out the videos on YouTube, there's lots of them comparing Fallout tracks to dark ambient composers. I think Aphex Twin was the major one but others got ripped off too.

Man, I was not expecting that level of similarity. Thought I was just gonna recognise a sample here or there, but those Fallout "compositions" are blatant ripoffs.

Yeah, here's a list:

TRADERS LIFE ORANG LITTLE SISTER
TRADERS LIFE MARK SNOW X FILES OST
MORIBUND WORLD APHEX TWIN WINDOW SILL
KHANS OF NEW CALIFORNIA SCORN SILVER RAIN FELL
VAULT OF THE FUTURE DEPECHE MODE TO HAVE AND HOLD
VATS OF GOO BRIAN ENO ALTERNATIVE 3
FLAME OF THE ANCIENT WORLD DAVID SYLVIAN MARIA
CITY OF LOST ANGELS APHEX TWIN GRASS
ACOLYTES OF THE NEW WORLD NIJIUMU ONCE AGAIN I CAST MYSELF INTO THE FLAMES OF ATONEMENT
CITY OF THE DEAD TECHNO ANIMAL STRANGULATION SELF STRANGULATION
BIGGEST LITTLE CITY IN THE WORLD JERRY GOLDSMITH BASIC INSTINCT MAIN THEME
ALL CLEAR SIGNAL SYNAESTHESIA INTELLIGENCE DREAM
GOLD SLOUCH SNUFFY WALDEN PROJECT BLUE
FOLLOWERS CREDO APHEX TWIN JOURNEY REMIX
DESERT WIND APHEX TWIN GREY STRIPE

That's like most of the soundtrack.

And the shittyness of the OSTs of Wasteland 2, Stasis, Torment Numanuma shows the guy is a hack and can't create anything good unless he's directly copying the base of the music from someone else.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I think Mark Morgan's justification was that he had put those tracks together as a sort of proof concept to give the people at Interplay an idea what sort of soundtrack he would compose for Fallout 1, which isn't an uncommon thing to do for art/music direction, but Interplay thought that these were his original, finalized compositions and went ahead and used them as they were.

Who know if this story is true or not, but honest or dishonest, either way we got a great soundtrack for Fallout. Even if he was deliberately and blatantly ripping those compositions off, there was certainly good taste at work in the decisions to use those tracks.

I think Mark Morgan's justification was that he had put those tracks together as a sort of proof concept to give the people at Interplay an idea what sort of soundtrack he would compose for Fallout 1, which isn't an uncommon thing to do for art/music direction, but Interplay thought that these were his original, finalized compositions and went ahead and used them as they were.

Who know if this story is true or not, but honest or dishonest, either way we got a great soundtrack for Fallout. Even if he was deliberately and blatantly ripping those compositions off, there was certainly good taste at work in the decisions to use those tracks.

I think the likely story is that yes, he put them together as proof of concept, they assumed they were his and told him to go ahead with it, but then he decided to finish the tracks off knowing they weren't original and then handed it all over without revealing that fact.

He could have gone back and changed them just enough, but no.

Egosphere

Arcane
The older I get, the more I realize how overrated PS:T is.
Surely, it is a very good game, but it doesn't deserve Lustmord's music.
It's not that well known to be overrated imo

I think the likely story is that yes, he put them together as proof of concept, they assumed they were his and told him to go ahead with it, but then he decided to finish the tracks off knowing they weren't original and then handed it all over without revealing that fact.

This was the 90s though. Doom's soundtrack was sampled from others; a chunk of Metal Gear Solid's theme was just Sviridov etc.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
he put them together as proof of concept, they assumed they were his and told him to go ahead with it, but then he decided to finish the tracks off knowing they weren't original and then handed it all over without revealing that fact.

FFS you high horse wankers, can't even bother to get your facts straight, can you ? :roll:
It's the Torment team that sent Morgan those tracks he was supposed to get inspiration from in the first place. And then he sent a proof of concept, only to be answered that it was suitable as is...
And considering that it was most assuredly a badly paid, tight deadline job, i say good on him for managing to deliver a sountrack that feels that weel-delivered and cohesive.

he put them together as proof of concept, they assumed they were his and told him to go ahead with it, but then he decided to finish the tracks off knowing they weren't original and then handed it all over without revealing that fact.

FFS you high horse wankers, can't even bother to get your facts straight, can you ? :roll:
It's the Torment team that sent Morgan those tracks he was supposed to get inspiration from in the first place. And then he sent a proof of concept, only to be answered that it was suitable as is...
And considering that it was most assuredly a badly paid, tight deadline job, i say good on him for managing to deliver a sountrack that feels that weel-delivered and cohesive.

That's pretty much the same thing other than the fact that the others knew. Still not good.

This was the 90s though. Doom's soundtrack was sampled from others; a chunk of Metal Gear Solid's theme was just Sviridov etc.

All it takes is one litigious artist to create one massive nightmare. It's the smart choice not to do this sort of thing

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
lustmords tracks could be used in more arty version of torment, like coil tracks for hellraiser

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom