Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection now on Steam

Kem0sabe

Arcane
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-the-master-chief-collection

Master-Chief-Collection-Coming-to-PC%252C-Adds-Halo-%25E2%2580%2593-Reach.jpg

Microsoft finally confirmed during tonight's Inside Xbox show that Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to PC—and it will include Halo: Reach, the 2010 prequel to the original Halo: Combat Evolved.

The PC version of Halo: MCC will come in stages, with each game released individually, in chronological order, rather than all of them together in one big bundle. That means Halo: Reach will be first, followed by Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST (Campaign), and Halo 4. 343 Industries said that staggered scheduled will enable it to ensure that each game is "right"—emphasis theirs—with PC-standard features including FOV sliders, 4K resolution and ultrawide monitor support, adjustable framerates, and remappable keys. Beyond their initial launch, the games will "evolve and grow over time with community input," Microsoft said.

"We’re embarking on a journey with our community to build a PC experience that delivers on PC gamer expectations," community director Brian Jarrard said. "The team is passionately committed to ensuring that all of the features, bells, and whistles expected in a modern PC title are included with MCC."

Pricing and release dates haven't been announced, but it's great (and a little surprising) that The Master Chief Collection will be on Steam as well as the Microsoft Store. (In fact, it's already listed there.) Halo is a full-on Microsoft series, but not having to deal with that mess of a digital storefront makes the announcement more exciting. More information will be revealed this weekend at SXSW and in the lead-up to launch at Halo Waypoint.

Last edited by a moderator:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I only played the original Halo and i thought it was pretty poor. Were the sequels better?

No. Better-looking, maybe.

I'm surprised that they are also releasing it on Steam, such a release would have been a good occasion to bring more users/buyers to their shit store. Or maybe they are going to make good on their promises to support gaming on PC?

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
I only played the original Halo and i thought it was pretty poor. Were the sequels better?
If you look up the word mediocre, I'm sure you'll see a picture of a Halo cover. Most overhyped FPS series ever because the console kids hadn't really played anything but Goldeneye before the first one.

At least they'll be playable since they're free from the clutches of the FPS killing gamepads.

Dexter

Arcane
As noted in the other thread, it's the Remastered/Anniversary versions of Halo 1+2:
For the first time ever, The Master Chief’s story comes to PC. Featuring Halo: Reach along with Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 2: Anniversary, Halo 3, the Halo 3: ODST Campaign and Halo 4, this is the definitive Halo experience.

Also note that the Steam Store page sez:
Requires 3rd-Party Account: Xbox Live

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As noted in the other thread, it's the Remastered/Anniversary versions of Halo 1+2:

I was answering to karoliner who was asking whether the sequels were better than the original; I was not talking about the games from the master chief collection.

Also note that the Steam Store page sez:
Requires 3rd-Party Account: Xbox Live

I'm pretty sure my hotmail account got linked to a Xbox live account, even if I never had a Xbox.

Dexter

Arcane
Personally I'd rather play a shooter nowadays with NPCs and enemies that look like people rather than stiff Minecraft characters with animations that look like they got a stick up their arse and landscapes that don't resemble a 10 minute Unity Tutorial, and the Remakes seem like a big plus:

I've actually brought this up several times in the past as an example of how a successful Remaster should be done. I'd be rather disappointed if they just re-released the Originals, since they were already available on PC and one of the primary reasons I didn't bother back in the day was that they were ugly as fuck even back then compared with contemporary PC games e.g. Max Payne for instance came out around the same time.

Last edited:

Funposter

Arcane
looking forward to replaying all of them in co-op and then completely ignoring the multiplayer for halo: reach because it is abject dogshit

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'm partial to ODST's campaign due to how low key it is in term's of it's premise; You're just a rookie ODST trying to find out what happened to the rest of your team after a botched aerial insertion and aren't some grand hero that majorly affects the outcome of the war (although you do contribute by helping the rest of the team complete their mission once found).

passerby

Arcane
Weird, I actually like the lack of detail in the original better
You'll be able to switch between original and remaster graphics any time.

Citation needed: Halo Anniversary and Halo 2 Anniversary from Master Chief Collection have "classic mode", I see no reason why would they change it on PC.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
Now I'm thinking of buying a new computer for this; I think my 7-year old laptop won't be up to the task

Alexios

Augur
Patron
The multiplayer is probably going to be dead on arrival anyway since zoomers have never heard of Halo and won't be filling up the lobbies.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The staged released sounds just like a money grab, while you can buy most of them bundled or hravully discounted on the Xbox, they will milk this for all they can on steam.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I played the original and it was shit, then tried Halo 2 and it wasn't really better.

The style was interesting, the music was good, the gunplay was so-so, the level design was terrible to the point it makes Kileak: The Blood look good in comparison.

Drakron

Arcane
I'm partial to ODST's campaign due to how low key it is in term's of it's premise; You're just a rookie ODST trying to find out what happened to the rest of your team after a botched aerial insertion and aren't some grand hero that majorly affects the outcome of the war (although you do contribute by helping the rest of the team complete their mission once found).

Its refreshing being not some special snowflake that gets something done due to actual skills instead of having awesome button bestowed upon you.
I think that was kinda HALO original direction as sure, you were a SPARTAN but that was before all the sperg about SPARTAN being enhanced supersoldiers trained from childhood (as being KIDNAPPENED into the project) that were the very best of the best of the best that is kinda were HALO devolved into, even Cortana was just a AI help you had more or less back in the day before being John's Waifu.

DemonKing

Arcane
I played the PC versions of the first 2 Halos - the first was mildly amusing with fun multi but the second was a real letdown. The constraints of the original X-Box design were pretty clear with the levels looking like they were designed via cookie-cutting the same assets over and over again in slightly different combinations.

Now if they were to release all the Gears of War titles on PC I'd be more interested - as I never got to play 2 or 3.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I played the PC versions of the first 2 Halos - the first was mildly amusing with fun multi but the second was a real letdown. The constraints of the original X-Box design were pretty clear with the levels looking like they were designed via cookie-cutting the same assets over and over again in slightly different combinations.

Now if they were to release all the Gears of War titles on PC I'd be more interested - as I never got to play 2 or 3.
I'd dig having 2 (which is my fave campaign) ,3 and Judgment on the PC as well, and would be a :d1p:for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom