Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

KK1001

Arbiter
Game is definitely coming out in the 2019-2020 November-March window.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Geralt narration is incline.

edit: they couldnt even commit to "its coming in 2019", its simply "coming when ready", which means its 2020 confirmed.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
mi.jpg

grimace

Arcane
So Fall 2020 for the first bare bones "game".

I don't know if anyone else has speculated this yet, I'm not about to read 108 pages, but I think the game will be out in 2020.

They'll reveal the release date by fading out the word cyberpunk, and put slashes into the number 2077, so it reads 20/7/7.

7th of July, 2020. It's gonna happen.

July 7th will be when they start taking pre-orders.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If July 7th 2020 is a thing, it could just be the Free DLC pack release if the game was released before. Or some other promo shit.

KK1001

Arbiter
The game was "playable" start to finish in August. If the game isn't going to come out later this year or possibly like March/April 2020 at the latest they'll have missed a big opportunity. A game can also only spend so much time fully manned by 400-500 people; the costs are just too high.

My prediction is that we'll see more footage, night footage, at E3 and probably have a playable demo for the press (but not the general public). They'll be hush hush about the release date because they'd rather wait until Gamescom/closer to the release date so they can maximize hype. The wait between E3 and Gamescom will perpetuate the hype cycle so important for single player AAA games. They'll announce a release date, probably March 2020, and say they were trying so hard to launch in 2019 but haha look now it is released in 2020!

Wouldn't be surprised to later see a "complete edition" be one of the launch titles for PS5 and Xbone 2.0 when they launch in the fall of 2020.

Zer0wing

Cipher
The game was "playable" start to finish in August. If the game isn't going to come out later this year or possibly like March/April 2020 at the latest they'll have missed a big opportunity. A game can also only spend so much time fully manned by 400-500 people; the costs are just too high.
It's good that you've raised this topic. In fact, the game might have been playable since the end of 2017 when one of the devs reported on twatter about some important milestone being reached. But that doesn't mean CDPR are not spending another three years running around the main office thinking about what kind of an RPG they want and moving the release date further away in the end of 2020 because they still not learned systemic approach. That's the spontaneous nature of game development. Witcher 3, lucky for them, succeeded because people liked Skyrim 2 the strong connection between long linear story, similar in quality of writing and presentation side quests and open world despite the many flaws that were addressed on the Codex, their own forums and externalized in Enhanced Edition. I don't get it. Poltards really like acting like western businessmen wasting 100+ gorillion dollars without a plan looking at the market. Is it personal, systemic approach reminds them about planned economy that reminds them of soviet union much? Some 4D chess of psychological issues. I don't understand, maybe locals can explain?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Basically they got big, and thus their heads get big too. Their stock rise up, got even government funding, thus feel like they can spend alot of money while it is one flop away from bankruptcy.

But 2077 wont flopm the hype among the casuals are pretty high.

m_s0

Arcane
Playable from start to finish is one thing, but if you're doing a gigantic open world game (which is what they're doing) I can believe you need years to have it be even remotely close to populated with crafted quests rather than half-assed semi-randomized 'stuff' to do a la Bethesda.

But yeah, this smells like an all or nothing gamble. If it pays off, I can see them expanding to two projects at the same time. If it doesn't - ouch.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Playable from start to finish is one thing, but if you're doing a gigantic open world game (which is what they're doing) I can believe you need years to have it be even remotely close to populated with crafted quests rather than half-assed semi-randomized 'stuff' to do a la Bethesda.

But yeah, this smells like an all or nothing gamble. If it pays off, I can see them expanding to two projects at the same time. If it doesn't - ouch.
Pretty sure this is CDProjekt's modus-operandi by now, each main game is always a "All Or Nothing". Till now, against all odds, it worked every time.

m_s0

Arcane
They did try to diversify with GWENT, but that looks to have failed on both fronts.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
It's the Polish way, you have a chance of winning only if you are going all in. Half-measures mean instant failure.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Pretty sure this is CDProjekt's modus-operandi by now, each main game is always a "All Or Nothing". Till now, against all odds, it worked every time.
All or nothing usually means they have some idea to realize, not to run in circles for 4-5 years. So far they've proven to be clueless on what concept to stick to just like western game industry that are succumbed to and cucked by (RIP Troika) the market and trends within game market. The only truly BASED part of the industry are japanese and some of the indie devs sticking to the vision, to the plan and not wasting money on trendy or momentary thingie.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Is alreay confirmed that is fake. There are not names like that in cyberpunk2077 the declaration comes from cd projekt.

passerby

Arcane
Basically they got big, and thus their heads get big too. Their stock rise up, got even government funding, thus feel like they can spend alot of money while it is one flop away from bankruptcy.

Even if CP2077 would flop, it would sell enough to set them back to pre W3 state at worst, so they are two flops away from bankruptcy. They would have to either, downsize back to 300 employees and make another game of W3 scale out of CP2077 sales, or sellout to big publisher.

But it's unrealistic expecting it to flop, they acquired status not much far behing Bethesda, no matter the quality it will at least break even on the "merit" of CDP Red brand recognition alone.

Mazisky

Magister
Impossible for this game to fail.

Casuals alone will do millions of sales. If the game is really good add the others.

Gerrard

Arcane
How many more times are we going to see articles with the same 5 screenshots?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom