Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 3

Dodo1610

Arcane
Of course there is still the possibilty that it will be also available on Steam.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
There's also 2K, the publisher, in the equation. Take Two seems a bit skeptical about store exclusives, but eh, who knows. It's business and Gearbox is the IP owner after all.

I think Pitchford is equating "the Epic Games Store isn't incredibly offensive and I might consider purchasing a good game through it if it was on sale" with "I love trading out my primary storefront for a new one every three months with no say in the matter if I want to play a specific game". I'm a customer on plenty of different platforms, as I'd imagine most PC gamers are, but I like having options on which version of a game I end up purchasing. Can I get it DRM-free? Is it multiplayer, so my Steam friends list could come in handy? Is it cheaper one place or another? As far as I've seen, whether most people would realize it consciously or not, consumers tend to be turned off by blatantly anti-consumer practices. Exclusive storefronts are one such practice. Of course, I could be overcomplicating things and people really could just hate having to deal with the inconvenience of installing and managing yet another account/application, which is admittedly incredibly annoying.

As a related aside, I don't think this relates to the similar debate over console or PC exclusives. The different consoles have different goals and selling points. I want different games on my Switch versus my PS4 versus my PC for different reasons. That's very different than separate applications that all serve the same core purpose - being a storefront and serving as some form of DRM - and which typically have no great distinctions between them outside of quality or very specific (borderline niche) concerns. I like GOG's DRM free practices, but it clearly doesn't matter to a large chunk of the population. Console/PC hardware is like figuring out which brand of car to buy, while picking between PC storefronts/platforms is more like picking between several dealerships for the same brand.

Either way, hopefully the continued pressure from Epic throwing money at developers for exclusivity deals will get Valve to stop jerking off on their money pile and get it together, but that's likely too much to ask.

Looks like another Epic exclusive

It's not really surprising. Gearbox loves money so getting Epic to buy exclusivity as well as getting the more favorable cut and waived Unreal Engine license fee means more cash for them, and Randy Pitchford is still apparently butthurt about Valve ever since the Half-Life expansions.

I'd be disappointed if Borderlands 2 didn't show that they were moving in the exact opposite direction to what I liked about the first Borderlands. Played the original a bunch because it was simple and the loot came fast and easy and just running through the game with new characters ensured a constant stream of unique fancylad guns. Borderlands 2 turned the taps off on the uniques because they wanted you to grind for them so they felt more special even though you still outleveled the fuckers, and even went so far as to tie certain guns to (Have a drop chance only) on some bosses/characters, and pushed to add fucking RAIDS to the game. So rather than replaying the game and all DLC like 5 times like I did with the original I never even played all the DLC through on one character in 2. Maybe I'll feel silly and Borderlands 3 will be a glorious return to "Hey we're making a dumb casual looty shooty game" and I'll want it, but odds are they're going to chase after MMOs/Warframe/Destiny and I won't give a shit.

flyingjohn

Arcane
It doesn't take much to make a solid borderlands game.
-Just take the loot algorithm from 1
-Take the content from 2 while removing slag
-Take the jetpack from presequel and remove air filters and add more mobility.
-Make Anthony Burch write a script draft and then do everything opposite from what he wrote
-Remove level scaling altogether

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
DLCs hunter's grotto, the pirate one and dragon keep were really great. Even better than main game. They should improve on that and the gameplay.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Level scaling is present only on hardest difficulty, which you need to unlock by finishing game several times.

One of the problems with Borderlands games and especially second one is that enemy power curve and player leveling pace is all over the place. Which leads to situations that you get overleveled if you do too many side quests or underleveled if you do too few.

Sad part it that the game is most balanced only with level scaling, which leads to the point, if they are incapable of balancing gameplay in normal way then having entire game level scaled is a better option.

Gerrard

Arcane
-Make Anthony Burch write a script draft and then do everything opposite from what he wrote
You think that the first one was some kind of perfect model where nothing could be improved? The game only got a pass because it was the first.

flyingjohn

Arcane
You think that the first one was some kind of perfect model where nothing could be improved? The game only got a pass because it was the first.
Nope,but it had the best loot and the best story(only because it was minimalist compared to the cringe in later games)
The difficulty was also unbalanced because of how you could easily over level the enemies,most quest were boring fetch quests,the vehicles were horrible and the control for them even worse,etc.
But having a good loot algorithm is kinda the foundation for a good looter game.

Gerrard

Arcane
Nope,but it had the best loot and the best story(only because it was minimalist compared to the cringe in later games)
The difficulty was also unbalanced because of how you could easily over level the enemies,most quest were boring fetch quests,the vehicles were horrible and the control for them even worse,etc.
But having a good loot algorithm is kinda the foundation for a good looter game.
It had the best loot because BL2 fucked that up completely. But it still had very little actual variety in the way weapons worked and any actually interesting deviations from the standard pea shooters were uniques or quest rewards, making me think that people who made the guns had zero imagination and/or never actually played other video games. It's also why I have no hopes for 3 being any good.
The quests were legitimately the only thing 2 improved from 1. Remember how even the inventory screen was a downgrade?

sullynathan

Arcane
1545003770334.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
Of course it won't be an MMO, do you think Gearbox is capable of making one that doesn't spontaneously combust?

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
4th girl driving the flying car looks really basic compared to the designs of the others.

Arnust

Savant
Hmm, I kind of see what you mean. But I imagine that's kind of the idea, same thing happens with the "soldier" type in every instance and it usually is played out for some laughs, like how Roland is a canonical absolute dullard

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's also 2K, the publisher, in the equation. Take Two seems a bit skeptical about store exclusives, but eh, who knows. It's business and Gearbox is the IP owner after all.
2K are Take Two subsidiaries and we know what Happened to The Outer Worlds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom