Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Was the Dishonored series good? Did System Shock 2 have good level design?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Ss2 is a good game, excellent atmosphere, but it is not without criticism, respawns and confusing level design are valid points against it.

Game environments should feel logical, especially in an enclosed space like a starship.

Cross

Arcane
SS2 is notable for having more simple level design than other Looking Glass games (possibly due to Levine's involvement). I don't even know what kind of brain damage you must have suffered from to find its levels confusing.

Jezal_k23

I don't remember SS2 levels to be confusing either. I remember them being designed in such a way that they were intense because they were not completely straightforward to navigate, which doesn't make them confusing necessarily. I think rather it enhances the atmosphere and feeling of uncertainty and dread the game was trying to deliver. The levels were clearly designed so as to enhance those elements.

Deleted Member 16721

I don't think people are talking about SS2 being confusing in its design, but in how the ship doesn't seem to resemble a real ship and is just areas of conveniently opening corridors that doesn't really make a realistic ship. So in a sense it's maze-like in that it worms in directions and doesn't really seem like a real, tangible place you're exploring.

Yosharian

Arcane
I don't think people are talking about SS2 being confusing in its design, but in how the ship doesn't seem to resemble a real ship and is just areas of conveniently opening corridors that doesn't really make a realistic ship. So in a sense it's maze-like in that it worms in directions and doesn't really seem like a real, tangible place you're exploring.
Gameplay takes priority over the ship being 'realistic', surely?

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Ironically those "criticisms" you agree with apply more to SS1 anyways aside from weapon degradation.
It really does not. At the very least SS1 has comprehensive mini map. Level design brilliance does not last 'til the end of SS2.
You realize SS2 has a minimap as well except with actual labels on it, right? Also there's arrows on the floors of most decks telling which corridors lead to where. If you want to call anything mazelike, it would be SS1 and there's tons of respawning enemies with level 4's invisible monsters coming to mind (not that respawning is inherently a bad thing since it had thought put into it).

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm not butthurt, TT1. I myself am a fanboy of many games, such as BG2. There's nothing wrong with having a soft spot for a game or series. I just dont understand why this particular series would have a cult following. It's so bland and uninspired.

Deleted Member 16721

Gameplay takes priority over the ship being 'realistic', surely?

Ehhh, I dunno. I have no desire to play SS2 knowing it's corridors that conveniently open up for you. But so was Half-Life and I enjoyed that game a lot. Guess it depends on how good the gameplay is.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I haven't played SS1 or 2, but if it's like Deus Ex 1 vs 2, one being open and the other being corridor-based, the gameplay is much superior with open environments. Instead of simply going forward, you need to choose an approach strategy.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Dishonored looked good compared to the other games releasing around the time it did.
Doesn't hold up so well compared to Arkane's other games or other common comparisons like Thief.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Dishonored is awesome. Talking shit about it is heresy.
It was the last, large attempt at an immersive sim to deliver on actual elements of the genre. Monomyth is it now, unless I missed some news.

edit: I guess Prey was too, I forget which came out first.

Let's split this thread... Oh wait it's obsidian forum carry on then.
:drink:

Last edited by a moderator:

RapineDel

Augur
Dishonored sucks. It's not actually designed around multiple play styles and instead just feels like a really cheap mix of Thief, Deus Ex etc.

From playing it, I feel like Arkane wanted to make a stealth game but Bethesda weren't having it, so they threw in the option to play it as an action game too and this is what lets it down, if they had the opportunity to make a proper stealth game, I think it would've been something at least as good as Prey. The issue is by adding the action options they had to undermine some of the level design and stealth aspects to compensate and it just brings down the whole game.

Dishonored 2 for me was an improvement as the level design was better, but it still suffered from some of the same issues and seeing the series dead doesn't bother me too much. It's worse then all of New Deus Ex, Prey etc. as it really doesn't please any one.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Dishonored is awesome. Talking shit about it is heresy.
Nah. Dishonored is overrated mediocrity IMO.
It was overrated because Bethesda buy ratings it has no business getting, but Dishonored isn't a bad game. Its like Thi3f without the overworld and a bunch of coolbruh cheats on. Which I think were fun but wasted on p boring levels.

Beastro

Arcane
I tried playing Dishonoured a few years after it came out and didn't get far into it. I went in wanting to play a Thief game and found it didn't have the same soul to it like Thief while what it did have was repellent, especially the aesthetics they chose and the console feel to the whole thing.

That then makes me wonder: WTF hasn't anyone just made a straight up repeat of Thief? Everything that touches on FPS(ealth) has some major twists to the formula that completely changes the game. Makes me wish that could be swapped with FPS' spirit of shit regurgitation of the same gameplay so we could get more Thief style stealth games and more experimentive FPS' again.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I tried playing Dishonoured a few years after it came out and didn't get far into it. I went in wanting to play a Thief game and found it didn't have the same soul to it like Thief while what it did have was repellent, especially the aesthetics they chose and the console feel to the whole thing.

That then makes me wonder: WTF hasn't anyone just made a straight up repeat of Thief? Everything that touches on FPS(ealth) has some major twists to the formula that completely changes the game. Makes me wish that could be swapped with FPS' spirit of shit regurgitation of the same gameplay so we could get more Thief style stealth games and more experimentive FPS' again.
Try The Dark Mod

Beastro

Arcane

Try The Dark Mod

I know and should, just annoying how stunted FPS(ealth) is as a genre that a fan mod is the only good successor to the Thiefs.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane

Yes but how do we get microtransactions into a Thief game, that's the real question on everyone's lips

Terenty

Liturgist
The most epicly stupid design decision for Dishonored was adding free blink. Like fucking stupid.

They meticulously create levels for traversal on foot jumping and mantling, which is evident by all those routes, chains etc., then some genius decides "lets compromise our level design with free teleportation!"

And yes, Dishonored is pretty shitty and below Arkane's standards

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom