Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Back 4 Blood - new co-op zombie shooter from Left 4 Dead developer

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.back4blood.com

It was Left for Dead by Valve, so they brought it Back for Blood $$. No subtlety here: https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/...tle-rock-studios-announce-back-4-blood/112397

e9265889294dccd3cc7aada73dcca4975c040963_2_690x232.png

WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT AND TURTLE ROCK STUDIOS ANNOUNCE “BACK 4 BLOOD”

Next-gen Co-operative FPS from Zombie Video game Visionaries to Propel Beloved Genre Forward

BURBANK, CA – March 14, 2019 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Turtle Rock Studios today announced Back 4 Blood, from the creators and development team behind the critically acclaimed, co-op phenomenon Left 4 Dead. Back 4 Blood is designed from the ground-up as an original, premium title and marries the best of what made the co-op zombie shooter so successful with new features and state-of-the-art technology.

“We are thrilled to partner with the proven Turtle Rock Studios team on Back 4 Blood to advance the co-op zombie genre forward with innovative multiplayer gameplay,” said David Haddad, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “The talented team at Turtle Rock has been developing amazing games together for a long time, and this is a great opportunity to work with them to create a new gaming universe built specifically with the large co-op zombie shooter community in mind.”

“It’s hard to overstate what an awesome opportunity this is. We get to return to a genre that was born in our studio with over ten years of additional experience and zombie ideas racked up in our brains,” said Chris Ashton, Co-founder and Design Director, Turtle Rock Studios. “We also have some of the best teammates in the business at WBIE who understand our development process and are equally committed to our player-first mentality. We love being able to announce, so we can start working with the community right away.”

“We are not resting on any past laurels. Our goal is to take all we’ve learned and push forward. We know that’s a tall order,” said Phil Robb, Co-founder and Creative Director, Turtle Rock Studios. “We’re growing the team considerably because we’re stepping up to the biggest challenge in this studio’s history. We know this title has to stand out and we fully intend to make that happen.”

https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/back-4-blood-announce-faq/112400

FAQ

What is Back 4 Blood?
  • Back 4 Blood is a co-op zombie FPS with new features we aren’t ready to talk about just yet, but keep your eyes peeled for all news on our official Discord
How are you planning to succeed against recent and upcoming AAA zombie and co-op shooters?
  • We are going back to our roots and at the same time innovating on them. We know we have some big shoes to fill, but we’re going all out to surpass everything we’ve done before
What’s the story / lore surrounding this game?
  • We will release more information on that as time goes on. Right now we are just excited to tell our community what we have been working on!
What platforms will Back 4 Blood be on?
  • We are currently focusing on PC, XBOX One and PlayStation 4. More possibilities aren’t out of the question though.
What happened to your other game / partnership?
  • We can’t get into details but both parties decided to move on.
How much is it going to cost?
  • We haven’t locked down a price point yet, but the game will be a premium, AAA title.
Will this game have microtransactions?
  • Right now, we’re focusing on making the best, most fun and exciting game we can. We’ll figure out the post-launch stuff later, but if we do have paid post-launch content, like microtransactions, we want to do something that the community feels good about.
Is this Left 4 Dead 3?!
  • No. Back 4 Blood is our own brand new, original IP. You’ll be able to shoot up a lot of zombies like in Left 4 Dead, but there’s a whole lot of new stuff in Back 4 Blood which makes it unique.
When is the release date?
Is this game going to be a Battle Royale game?
  • No.
Will there be PVP?
  • Yes!
Will there be a campaign?
  • Yes!
Where is Evolve 2? How dare you!
  • 2K owns the rights to Evolve and our contract to work on the game expired back in 2016. Please contact 2K for all Evolve related questions.
Will there be founders packs or pre-order deals?
  • It’s still early in development and our number one goal is to make a great, complete, fun game so we are focusing on that.
When will the community get to play?
With so little to tell us, why are you announcing now?
  • Back 4 Blood is a hugely ambitious project and we need the best of the best to come join us. As an independent studio, we have to announce early to let our industry know we’re up to something big. If you are in the video game business and you are looking to make real contributions to a brand new AAA IP developed in Southern California, check us out. Our job listings are here with more to come in the next year: https://www.turtlerockstudios.com/careers 74.
    We also want to hear from you all about what you think about the games we’ve made in the past and what you are looking forward to in the future. We love getting to know and interact with our community and the sooner we can do that, the better!

Weren't these guys working with Chinese publisher Perfect World on free-to-play shooter? Apparently the relationship faltered: https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/...-rock-studios-announce-back-4-blood/112397/30

Hey niaccurshi, we’re no longer working with Perfect World and we aren’t working on a licensed IP either.

Also this is probably what Jason Anderson is working on.

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's funny they use Blood in their title considering that Warner Bros. reportedly has rights for Blood IP.

I may wondered whether this is a crude attempt to reboot if they didn't wrote this is an original IP and owned by Turtle Rock.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I don't like this title. When I read "Blood" I think of the real "Blood" and not a L4D clone. Mixing these titles is blasphemous.

Last edited:

Trithne

Erudite
Back 4 Blood is a co-op zombie FPS with new features we aren’t ready to talk about just yet, but keep your eyes peeled for all news on our official Discord

Then why the fuck are you talking about it? Make the fuckijg game, then tell us about it. Or make literally any part of the game. Or is this preparation for the IndieFigStarter?

Volokard

Novice
Both Left 4 Dead games have memorable characters, well-made maps, good sound design, and campaigns that can be enjoyed offline too. The fact that I could play the campaigns alone was my favorite thing. Why? Because many games now only think about the online aspect, forgetting to work on AI for the singleplayer audience or even have a story at all. If they take what made the Left 4 Dead games good and add in some original ideas then I have high hopes for this game. I always wanted Left 4 Dead 3 and this could fill that gap.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
L4D was a work of genius, but it didn't even have a chance to spread its wings before Valve came in and ruined it all with L4D2.

How so?

L4D2 felt more chaotic. L4D1 was scarier and better paced. I played L4D1 a ton but lost interest on 2 quickly. I don't why, it's just a personal preference?

L4D1 had legs when you looked down and L4D2 doesn't, though. Very important distinction since in L4D2 you can't get smacked off a building by a tank and see your legs fly up into the air just before you hit the ground and die.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Alright, I was just curious since I've only played L4D2.
Well, if you played L4D2 then you've played L4D1 by default since it has the original's maps as well.

I was thinking in terms of mechanics. Are maps the only major difference?
I can't think of any other notable difference, except 2 maybe having a bit more items and weapons perhaps.

Alright, I was just curious since I've only played L4D2.
Well, if you played L4D2 then you've played L4D1 by default since it has the original's maps as well.

I was thinking in terms of mechanics. Are maps the only major difference?
I can't think of any other notable difference, except 2 maybe having a bit more items and weapons perhaps.
There are a few other differences, L4D2 has more of a stamina thing to reduce melee-spam because a powerful tactic in L4D1 was everyone turn into a blob in a corner and hammer RMB repeatedly until all zombies die. Also didn't have the L4D2 unique specials (The spitter and the jockey) of course. I don't remember if the ported L4D1 maps had the occasional alternate routes or not either. Generally speaking though there's no reason to go back to L4D1 if you've got 2 since the differences are pretty minor and could be argued to be beneficial (More weapons, items, special zombies, etc).

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
L4D2 was unnecessary from a player point of view, it could've been an update / enhanced edition, as it wasn't that much different aside from main characters and changed melee.

But what it did was split the userbase. L4D1 was hardly playable after that. The people I played with stopped in part because of that. And when some of us caved in and bought the second, somehow it was too much of the same and we lost interest fast. Characters were shittier iirc, the original charm wasn't there.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
The pacing and feel of the maps are significantly different too. L4D1 made better use of visual indicators like lighting and corners, on where you could go, where zombies could come from, etc, so there was a lot more tension when you first played them. They were also more claustrophobic but still giving you multiple options. L4D2's maps, eh... it was just mist, fog, and a lot of stuff I don't vividly remember. It also felt like they were trying to go for a more mechanically diverse feel, which on one hand made gameplay more varied, but on the other hand, it lost a lot of the tension and charm from L4D1.

If I were to use an analogy, I'd say it's to L4D1 what 28 Weeks Later is to 28 Days Later. You have more shit and bigger shit, and the theme's the same, but that doesn't make it better.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I get that they just want to make Left 4 Dead 3 but couldn't they have tried to make this look a little less generic.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
> throws molotov into room full of zombies
> simultaneously runs into burning room with only an axe

:what:

Looks like a console game. So we get worse gameplay since it's designed for a controller, and probably no mod support so no custom campaigns. Not sure why I'd ever play this instead of L4D.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Voices seem okay with one exception, I'm pretty sure the girl is voiced by the same person who did Chloe in L4D and the buff black guy seems to be voiced by the same person who did Coach in L4D2.
However, the VA of the other black guy is indeed fucking atrocious, the entire character is for that matter: Annoying voice, constantly cracking painfully unfunny jokes, etc. The kind of person you just wanna punch in the face after a couple of minutes in their presence.

ColCol

Arcane
I hope they don't add level/grind mechanics but I have a feeling they are going to.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Never got into L4Dead, was burnt out on zombies from playing Killing Floor for years, the VA seems mediocre at best, not a great showing for a reveal/promo piece, the scene is generic and slow paced, enough time to babble through your lines means theres no threat or tension built up.

VA appears to be annoying, perhaps they plan to DLC characters that arent awful

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom