Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Phoenix Point now an Epic Store Exkloosive

Sentinel

Arcane
What guarantee exactly do we have that Valve is going to behave in a benign manner forever? What happens when Gabe Newell retires and the suits that succeed him decide to go SJW and make a lot of unpleasant changes?
I don't have any guarantees of anything. What I have is the certainty that at the current time, Valve/Steam is a much more open platform than any other store.

Why would you be so much against having viable options? It makes no sense at all.
I'm not against having viable options. Key-word here is options. Paying for third party exclusivity deals is not giving people an option. On top of that, not allowing the activation of third party keys so that users can buy their games wherever they want (like Steam allows you to do), is also not giving anyone an option. Price is too high on the epic store? They don't respect regional prices? Getting fucked by conversion rates? Don't accept your payment method? Too bad, because they're greedy chinks you can't just buy the game from another store.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
G3qOL5z.jpg

cosmicray

Savant
I can't believe that you're seriously making this argument. Epic Store just started as a platform, they haven't had time to conclude deals with multiple third parties to resell keys.
Woopie-fucking-doo. Did they have time for anything other that buying exclusives? Client is barebones, no key reselling, no games. But it's good competition anyway that you can choose Epic instead of Steam. Well, unless you can't.

scytheavatar

Scholar
What options have I got?

A) give the Chinese government money
B) pirate the game
C) wait a year

Not really a list of fantastic choices

Play the superior FiraXCOM, it's not a fantastic choice either but let's not pretend Phoenix Point was shaping up to be anything good.

cr0mag

Novice
What options have I got?

A) give the Chinese government money
B) pirate the game
C) wait a year

Not really a list of fantastic choices

Play the superior FiraXCOM, it's not a fantastic choice either but let's not pretend Phoenix Point was shaping up to be anything good.

Thanks, I haven't heard of that and I'll have a look. I'll have to check up on Xenonauts 2 too because I had a ton of fun playing the original. I'm a pretty die hard sci-fi and turned based fan so I'm a complete sucker for any of these types of games that combine two of my favourite things.

Yes, it is niche but I suspect there are enough people like me that has caused Epic to poach Pheonix Point. Which I find bitter-sweet because although it is shady business, it does mean that the genre does have popularity so more games in this vein will be made in the future. I never would have used the Epic launcher until this, Epic is clearly pinpointing people's weaknesses... I'm definitely going to buy it I can't help myself

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Supposedly Epic gave them more than 2 million dollars for the 1 year exclusivity. Snapshot is a studio located in Bulgaria. I'm pretty sure 2 million dollars can keep a Bulgarian company afloat for a few years.

It's not right what they are doing, but I'd probably do the same if I was in their place.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Stupid move by the studio, turn-based strategy crowd is PC centric. They aren't exactly going to have much appeal on the console market, XBONE sales won't fill the hole left by favoring one storefront on PC.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Supposedly Epic gave them more than 2 million dollars for the 1 year exclusivity. Snapshot is a studio located in Bulgaria. I'm pretty sure 2 million dollars can keep a Bulgarian company afloat for a few years.

It's not right what they are doing, but I'd probably do the same if I was in their place.

2 million is really, really much in Bulgaria, yes. That's gonna keep them alive for a long time.

The only question now is: will it be beneficial in the long term, or will the harm they've done to their credibility and reputation inevitably sink the ship anyway?

Parabalus

Arcane

2 million is really, really much in Bulgaria, yes. That's gonna keep them alive for a long time.

The only question now is: will it be beneficial in the long term, or will the harm they've done to their credibility and reputation inevitably sink the ship anyway?

Gollop is 54, he could just retire if it doesn't work out.

Difera

Educated

IMHO it seems to be Gollop's endgame plan behind all this mess.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
verb: gollop; 3rd person present: gollops; past tense: golloped; past participle: golloped; gerund or present participle: golloping
  1. 1.
    swallow (food) hastily or greedily.
:shittydog:

the man comes from a long lineage of men who swallow greedily, we picked the worst guy to trust and the chicoms knew exactly that he'd turn if tempted

LizardWizard

Cipher
Was going to yarr this shit anyway, learned my kickstarter lesson after Wasteland 2. I'm just here for the violence

Don't really blame Julian for taking the cash though. Would have done the same most likely.

sser

Arcane
Developer
This game has been generating some momentum and hype so the only way this makes any sense to me is if they do not believe in the actual product.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Yeah, about that.... retirement on the balkans is not as sweet of a deal as in the west, unless he amassed a huge amount of money in his career, which I doubt. So I don't think he wants to retire at the age of 54.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I for one hope epic will bribe more developers to their platform. It will piss off more consumers, epic will lose more money on bribes, fans don't need to worry about the developer going bust due to the boycott since they have epic bribe money.

Make their ROI on this storefront go below 1 if they put suppliers ahead of consumers.

Of course the problem with this is that some impatient retards will lack the will to vote with their wallets like this. But if enough people just opt to wait until the exclusivity wears off instead of buying the result would be... epic :smug:

Last edited:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
The way the game was turning out I don't think it warranted a pirate in the first place. No big loss.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm not against having viable options. Key-word here is options. Paying for third party exclusivity deals is not giving people an option. On top of that, not allowing the activation of third party keys so that users can buy their games wherever they want (like Steam allows you to do), is also not giving anyone an option. Price is too high on the epic store? They don't respect regional prices? Getting fucked by conversion rates? Don't accept your payment method? Too bad, because they're greedy chinks you can't just buy the game from another store.

Yeah, options bro. Like those options you have when the game is exclusive to Steam. Nice how steamtards always handwave that Steam is the WORST when it comes to exclusives. Probably worse than consoles. If you don't want to use Steam you're fucked.
But yeah, somehow it's OK for Steam to have exclusives, no Steamtard ever complained when a game was released only on Steam, but nope, others shouldn't do that because omg I liek steam and they like the bestest bros and saved pc gayming

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom