Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
tenor.gif

pop_engine_lopashnikov2.jpg

ironmask

Arbiter
I wish someone would use the build engine to make a spiritual successor to blood just like how ion maiden is the successor to duke nukem 3D.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just tried this and liked it a lot, but... reloading, in a retro FPS? Why?
Reloading is not a bad mechanic, it's a useful tool in balancing weapons and creating interesting decisions to make in combat. It's a reason why the Super Shotgun is so much fun, because you have to factor in the cooldown of reloading the gun.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I just tried this and liked it a lot, but... reloading, in a retro FPS? Why?
Reloading is not a bad mechanic, it's a useful tool in balancing weapons and creating interesting decisions to make in combat. It's a reason why the Super Shotgun is so much fun, because you have to factor in the cooldown of reloading the gun.

Well, from the weapons available in the current build the SMGs were probably my least favorite because of the reload mechanic. They run empty before you can even begin to clean a room, not exactly a good thing when dealing with hitscanners.

cosmicray

Savant
It's "retro" only because of engine limits. Besides, Duke Nukem 3d and Shadow Warrior had reloading.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Generic quips and sci-fi aesthetic with no personality, terrible performance for a 90s engine (at least when I played the first beta), unsatisfying weapons like the shitty bowling ball grenade that is less effective than the duke3d or blood explosive.

cosmicray

Savant
The street portion of the first level is magnificent, tho, don't you agree? And interactivity is rad.
Haven't noticed any performance hiccups. Bowling balls yeah, not a fan. But they're getting a bit better in latest versions.

cosmicray

Savant
No problem here. Althought, I do have a 120Hz monitor.
Why not turn V-Sync on then?

garren

Arcane
Patron
Dunno about performance, haven't played it myself just watched some videos, but the gunplay and levels look pretty fun. Bombshell herself unfortunately gives off too much of a stronk woman 2019 edition vibes, she's got a couple of decent quips but most of them go from bland to bad.

cosmicray

Savant
She's alright. Nothing too fancy, but not annoying. Certainly didn't give me the vibe you're describing. And I doubt there'll much plot to plunge game into these waters.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Since this is the closest "old school shooter thread" we have up:
I bought Apocryph because it's on sale for like 3 bucks. I don't regret buying it but the game sure looks better than it plays. The AI is retarded as fuck, even for "Games that try to ape Doom Hexen" standards, the geometry is buggy and the weapons are all meh. The level design is also nothing like Hexen OR Doom.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
She's alright. Nothing too fancy, but not annoying. Certainly didn't give me the vibe you're describing. And I doubt there'll much plot to plunge game into these waters.
She's incredibly generic, and her VA sounds like she swallowed an ashtray.

It's especially annoying because Duke, Caleb and Lo Wang were such overblown parodies. She should look like a cross between Pamela Anderson from the Baywatch era and Sarrah Connor, not this bland, offensively inoffensive garbage.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
She's incredibly generic, and her VA sounds like she swallowed an ashtray.

It's especially annoying because Duke, Caleb and Lo Wang were such overblown parodies. She should look like a cross between Pamela Anderson from the Baywatch era and Sarrah Connor, not this bland, offensively inoffensive garbage.

Yeah, that's the problem nowadays- everything is too safe. No one in the west knows how to have fun anymore. If you still want goofy, over the top bullshit you have to go East.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom