Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

pat

Arcane
Developer
Cool. I know it's a roguelike, but looks like you have multiple characters. How many can the player have to make a party, or are those just hirelings/henchmen?
They’re just henchmen. It’s still a work in progress but they’ll eventually be able to cover a lot of roles to add flexibility to your character build. Importantly they can revive you if you’re knocked uconscious which softens permadeath a bit.

pat

Arcane
Developer
It’s a stripped back version of the 5e content released under the open game licence. There’s a version called the Basic Rules with four classes and four main races which I based it on. It’s as faithful to the rules as a roguelike can be, but there’s a fair few things which don’t translate all that well which have been left out, like initiative, bonus actions and reactions, etc.

7h30n

Augur
I just added basic AI for monsters, they walk and shoot when in range. Movement target is the last know player position. There's also infighting, you can see the first monster is shot down by the other.

I once again failed at audio editing, I thought the recording software wouldn't take audio directed into my headphones... That's why the video starts in the middle of Metallica's song. But I was too lazy and excited to reupload.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
hello
D0ywuOOWkAAInag.png:large

pat

Arcane
Developer
That's the benefit of roguelike development I guess, I don't have to let an unfinished story or half-finished gameplay hold me back from regular releases.

j8qMFUW.gif

I finished reworking two other display modes after my tiles release. The version that I'll publish probably tonight or tomorrow will have two ascii modes as well, the smaller of which works as a quasi minimap. Also NPC's cast spells now so there's actually a point to having a mage or priest in your party!

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I like that half-wireframe, half-solid look :). I'll most likely buy the game once the addon is out (or around there). I suppose itch.io still gets updates, right (i see you only mention the Steam version since it became available there)? I tend to prefer DRM-free installer-based releases.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

I like that half-wireframe, half-solid look :). I'll most likely buy the game once the addon is out (or around there). I suppose itch.io still gets updates, right (i see you only mention the Steam version since it became available there)? I tend to prefer DRM-free installer-based releases.
Aiming to finish the addon this month.

Itch version gets updates just like the Steam version, but both versions are DRM-free, so grabbing it on Steam might be a better option $$$-wise since Itch doesn't have regional pricing.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Itch version gets updates just like the Steam version, but both versions are DRM-free, so grabbing it on Steam might be a better option $$$-wise since Itch doesn't have regional pricing.

I don't mind the regional price differences, i'm more interested in the offline installer since i prefer to keep my own copies of the games i buy:

MmnbHhb.png

(the right panel contains a hint about one of the reasons :))

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

I don't mind the regional price differences, i'm more interested in the offline installer since i prefer to keep my own copies of the games i buy:

MmnbHhb.png

(the right panel contains a hint about one of the reasons :))
Understood. I mostly keep backups on a separate HDD in case my connection gets busted and I run out stuff to play. :)

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Testing new movement code. I could just lift the code from DG1, but there were several things I wanted to adjust to make the movement better.

In DG1 the character snapped to the floor at all times (unless there's no floor at a certain distance below, which made proper falling possible), but jumping down from higher areas required to add collision meshes, so the character would slide down, which was somewhat hacky.

Here the character falls down and accelerates, but snaps only at a short distance from the floor, which ain't too bad after some tweaking and makes level design less of a PITA.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Here the character falls down and accelerates, but snaps only at a short distance from the floor, which ain't too bad after some tweaking and makes level design less of a PITA.

Looks nice, although i think it stops a bit too suddenly and might feel a little bit better with a slight downward motion when falling from a height above a few clicks, similar to what Doom/Duke3D had (...other games have it too, i just noticed it first in these two games :-P).

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Looks nice, although i think it stops a bit too suddenly and might feel a little bit better with a slight downward motion when falling from a height above a few clicks, similar to what Doom/Duke3D had (...other games have it too, i just noticed it first in these two games :-P).
You mean downward motion upon landing?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron

Yes.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Yes.
Gotta give it a try, thanks for the suggestion.

d1nolore

Savant
What game making software would people here recommend? Like game maker studio or something similar? What version?

I want something that is easy make games and easy to deploy. But maybe can go deeper if I want to put more effort in.

I can program in a few different languages so I can pick up any scripting. I don't have free time to build something from the ground up so am looking for a studio to build things for a hobby. Willing to pay for something but don't want to waste money on something I don't like.

Any recommendations?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
rpg maker & its variations are easier, game maker is more flexible (in that you can make just about any 2d game in it) and what I recommend, but you'll have to do more work. still a lot easier than programming an engine from scratch

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom