Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

polo

Magister
Yeah....nope.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm having this feeling the game will be a huge flop. So huge it will make us question the value of the whole Souls series and, in the end, it will be the end of From Software.

Agree.

From Software just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Souls games culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like Twitcher 3 where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on Souls community, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is Souls fans, after reading these news, are not going to want to buy any From Software game again, nor will they lagstab any other PVP player. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but From Software has alienated an entire gaming community with this move.

Jinn

Arcane
Wait, what bad move? Not having PvP or what? After watching some of this latest preview footage, my attitude went from pretty interested to extremely hyped. The game looks like exactly the type of departure from the Souls series FROM needed. Everything from the setting, to the more focused gameplay, to the return of more exploration-based gameplay with interlocking gameworld, to a more focused narrative, to an interesting new death mechanic, all seems like an excellent change of pace. Best of all, it's not another Souls game. I'll miss the RPG aspects of character building, but I can deal with that for a fresh take on FROM gameplay.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
the people screaming about the removal of pvp are actually co-op scrubs that are upset they can't get 3 people to beat a boss for them. they think if they say "pvp" instead of "co-op" or just a general "online" people will take them seriously.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
From Software has alienated an entire gaming community with this move.

You do realize there is also an entire community who doesnt give a flying fuck about PvP? 99% of my time playing Souls games is in offline mode...

I was trolling, my post is an old meme making a parody of drama queen concern trolls. I thought people would recognize it.

The only thing I'm more excited than this game is the second coming of Christ.

Sentinel

Arcane
Problem for me is that it looks way too similar to dark souls. I had my fill of frustratingly smashing my head against a brick wall in dark souls, and this looks like it's just more of the same. I mean I loved dark souls but once you've played one you've basically played everything by this dev
you're basically admitting you're a shitter who's mad he can't ask a friend to carry him via coop. lol

DemonKing

Arcane
the people screaming about the removal of pvp are actually co-op scrubs that are upset they can't get 3 people to beat a boss for them.

I'm one of those co-op scrubs but still buying the game...22 March is going to be a good day to die, I guess.

Wunderbar

Arcane
It's going to be hard as fuck, I can guarantee it. Every next Fromsoft game is harder than previous, it became that way since demon's souls.
Dark Souls 1 is fine and fair, Dark Souls 3 is "perform 100 perfect rolls in a row or die from enemy's ten hits combo".

Hassar

Scholar
Wait, what bad move? I'll miss the RPG aspects of character building, but I can deal with that for a fresh take on FROM gameplay.

The lack of RPG elements is what makes this look less interesting to me but I also agree that From should be able to openly explore different genres and game design types. Being a fan does not mean you have to feel betrayed if every game they release is not for you - we’re not obligated to provide explanations for why we are not purchasing a From release and neither can From drag us to purchase every game they put out.

I think we are seeing them experiment with a more story focused game design which is a shame because a more RPG-like series should give them more freedom than an action/adventure game but *shrug*.

It’s not for me (I’m feeling 0 hype for this) but that’s OK.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
My hypothesis is that Sekiro is a stripped down "Team B" game devoted with less resources than some big-ass super secret PS5 exclusive title at work. Multiplayer, balancing, itemization, classes, etc. probably requires too many design- and programming resources that From can't spare, ergo the contracted single-player action game only. Or maybe not and it was all Miyazaki's volition from the get go.

PrettyDeadman

My hypothesis is that Sekiro is a stripped down "Team B" game devoted with less resources than some big-ass super secret PS5 exclusive title at work. Multiplayer, balancing, itemization, classes, etc. probably requires too many design- and programming resources that From can't spare, ergo the contracted single-player action game only. Or maybe not and it was all Miyazaki's volition from the get go.

All of these worked best in Dark Souls 2 which was developed by From Software b-team. Miyazaki and his A-team are known to be shit at balancing which results into all of his game favouring heavily dex weapons, while all other playstyles being shit. It seems that with Sekiro he accepted his weaknesses and stripped away all of the parts which he was bad about and left player with only katana to play. I think this is a really strong case for Sekiro being From Soft's A-Team game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Wait, what bad move? I'll miss the RPG aspects of character building, but I can deal with that for a fresh take on FROM gameplay.

The lack of RPG elements is what makes this look less interesting to me but I also agree that From should be able to openly explore different genres and game design types. Being a fan does not mean you have to feel betrayed if every game they release is not for you - we’re not obligated to provide explanations for why we are not purchasing a From release and neither can From drag us to purchase every game they put out.

I think we are seeing them experiment with a more story focused game design which is a shame because a more RPG-like series should give them more freedom than an action/adventure game but *shrug*.

It’s not for me (I’m feeling 0 hype for this) but that’s OK.

What are you guys talking about? There are levels and skill trees in Sekiro, and special movies that you can bind a limited amount of. There are absolutely character builds.

sullynathan

Arcane
What are you guys talking about? There are levels and skill trees in Sekiro, and special movies that you can bind a limited amount of. There are absolutely character builds.
It's more like ninja gaiden & devil may cry in that regard than dark souls.

I've seen the skill trees they're talking about. Even upgrading health has to do with combat challenges to collect items to then increase health like DMC.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
All of these worked best in Dark Souls 2 which was developed by From Software b-team. Miyazaki and his A-team are known to be shit at balancing which results into all of his game favouring heavily dex weapons, while all other playstyles being shit. It seems that with Sekiro he accepted his weaknesses and stripped away all of the parts which he was bad about and left player with only katana to play. I think this is a really strong case for Sekiro being From Soft's A-Team game.

B-but Dark Souls 2 is the worst game that has ever been MADEEEEE-RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

RapineDel

Augur

I actually think Dark Souls 3 was the B-Team but due to to the mixed reception on DS2 the A team stepped in after Bloodborne to help shape it up and ensure it was a higher standard. I'm not huge on DS3 but it's certainly more polished and has better level design, it just suffers from being too "more of the same" and probably a step in the wrong direction with how it plays (too similar to Bloodborne).

DS3 benefited from this since the initial reception was better but I think it set From back a bit, it meant the A team had a late start on their next game and it's why we've had a longer wait then normal for their next game. Sekiro is no doubt the A team and whatever the B team releases next should be of a similar quality since the release of a mixed game threw everything off balance for them last time and there will probably be more scrutiny on them from Miyazaki etc.

I also think with how the PC audience has been instrumental for their growth that the B team aren't working on A PS5 exclusive, it'll be something with more multiplayer like Dark Souls while A team probably won't go down that road so much.

Sentinel

Arcane
It's quite amazing how much A/B-team rhetoric gets thrown around in regards to FromSoft when the credits for the entire trilogy of Dark Souls are on the internet and anyone can check that it's a completely baseless theory. There's no "A/B Team", Dark Souls 2 was just restarted halfway into development (which already included heavy work on engine modifications) + had a director change, which perfectly explains how shit it ended up being.

RapineDel

Augur
It's quite amazing how much A/B-team rhetoric gets thrown around in regards to FromSoft when the credits for the entire trilogy of Dark Souls are on the internet and anyone can check that it's a completely baseless theory. There's no "A/B Team", Dark Souls 2 was just restarted halfway into development (which already included heavy work on engine modifications) + had a director change, which perfectly explains how shit it ended up being.

Yep, completely baseless when this has been said by the man himself:

""Dark Souls 3 is being developed by a different development team to Bloodborne, director Hidetaka Miyazaki has confirmed, with only Miyazaki and "some visual designers" at From Software having worked across both titles."

https://www.videogamer.com/news/dark_souls_3_is_being_developed_by_a_different_team_to_bloodborne

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom