Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

Jinn

Arcane
Vergil possibly didn't age since he spent all this time in Hell.

Pretty sure this is the case, as his voice sounds very similar to DMC 3 Vergil too.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
D1iHhgAU4AA3OzW.jpg

They have to experiment more the Cameo system. It's an interesting take on Co-Op.

King Cerberus was a kick ass fight. As well as Urizen's form after consuming the Fruit. I thought the Urizen of Mission 12 was kinda weak (not bad or mediocre just anti-climatic), but this final form made up for it.

Also did anyone else thought that Vergil's face was a bit odd since it was different. I mean, him and Dante are twins don't look exactly the same. But then I remembered Vergil possibly didn't age since he spent all this time in Hell.

Griffon and Shadow are also pretty sweet to fight (they even brought back Shadow's music).

The idea of it reminds me a lot of the multiplayer for Resident Evil 6, where you could hit sections that'd cross into other characters stories and they could all be actual people playing. It'd be interesting if this had something like Agent Hunt mode in RE6 too, where players can control some enemy in someone else's game.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
So is there no way to replay missions with different characters? Pretty lame, Nero and V are okay but don't hold a candle to Dante. Just beat the game but I will wait for Bloody Palace mode or for them to patch in the option to play as any character on any mission before I touch this again. 7/10, too much Nero.

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So is there no way to replay missions with different characters? Pretty lame, Nero and V are okay but don't hold a candle to Dante. Just beat the game but I will wait for Bloody Palace mode or for them to patch in the option to play as any character on any mission before I touch this again. 7/10, too much Nero.
http://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?p=81992#p81992
Came across a character selector that allows playing any mission as Dante, V, Nero or Vergil (buggy).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Yeah I've been playing on KB + M ever since Sunday. It's not at all awkward and uncomfortable as I expected it to be. However unlike that guy I use the mouse for the attack and target buttons.

Last edited:

Ent

Savant
Apparently people have been mucking around inside the games assets and someone found that V has a specific execution animation when fighting Vergil. I can only assume its there for the Bloody Palace boss fight.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
You should sit that one out.

Also what problems are you having with Nero?

Mainly just that he's not as fun as Dante. Though I've kind of gotten over my butthurt now and I'm gonna keep playing, Bloody Palace mode gonna be gud.

Jinn

Arcane
I gotta say, Nero and Dante are pretty much tied for me, with Nero edging a little bit ahead for my favorite to play. I really love the Devil Breaker system, particularly with coupled with Devil Trigger and Exceed. Shit get's crazy. Still love playing as V too, but his moveset is clearly limited compared to Nero's and Dante's.

Now, if they can just let us go through the whole campaign somehow as Vergil, that would be so goddamn good.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I enjoy almost equally playing both Nero and Dante. The best thing is having 2 so well designed characters with different gameplay in the same game. I give a slight edge to Dante though. Royal Guard and more firearms are my jam.

Big Wrangle

You probably get everything out of V in one playthrough, but Nero and Dante really encourage replaying. Dante's arsenal is big so you'd wanna go at it again, and Nero receives a major upgrade at the end that changes his dynamics.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I actually find him quite fun.
At first I was also apprehensive about him, but after unlocking most of his moves I enjoyed much more his segments.
What Jinn said awhile ago also helped me. You have to think of V not as a ranged character but as a sort of epicenter.
When you know what you're doing with him, you start to juggle enemies around, all the while reading his little book like you're just taking stroll in the park.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Don't knock V just yet. As I said in a previous post, Bloody Palace should really bring out the nuances of his potential as his campaign feels quite limiting and doesn't really showcase what he may be really capable of. Sure, he's going to be a lot more limited than Dante or Nero either way, as that's the fate of being a new character, unfortunately, but I think what he is already capable of is quite enjoyable and I really hope that they will improve the character concept in a sequel.

Ezekiel

Arcane
DMC5 is good, but I still prefer 3. I wish they had just made DMC4 and 5 like they made RE1 and 2, meaning let the player play through the same campaign as two or three different characters but give each story some key differences and a few unique scenarios. Juggling between the three of them doesn't make for very good progression. The stylized gothic look of DMC3 was also more interesting to me, and the music wasn't as shitty, and there weren't so many cutscenes.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
About half way though the game, impressions so far:

Enjoying it a lot. Feels like all the best parts of 3 & 4 combined. Beating the boss in the prologue and starting on Son of Sparda was a good call because I can definitely tell that the game would have been too easy on normal but on SoS it feels just right for me - not too easy and not too hard, perfect for a first playthrough and I will be able to restart on DMD as soon as I'm finished with this.

Main thing I dislike so far is V's gameplay. I don't mind him too much but when the game gives me a choice between him and Nero/Dante, I never pick him. I think that his playstyle is not something I want to see in a DMC game - I want to be in the middle of the action, skillfully dodging enemies and doing cool combos. Standing on the side and attacking shit with my summons feels a bit too much like playing DMC 2. For example, I think that the time horse rider boss would have been much more fun if you fought him with Dante or Nero. Fighting him with V just makes the fight look stupid because the knight spends half his time chasing after your pets and failing to kill them because they are too small for his gigantic sword to hit.

Like someone already said here, I think it would be great if they made a summoner class with these mechanics in Dragon's Dogma 2 (if it ever happens) - it would fit much better there than in DMC.

thesoup

Arcane
Finished this the other day on DH difficulty. Will probably continue on SOS.

Short summary:
Fantastic game overall. Completely blew me away. Can't believe Capcom could deliver this much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom