Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Itsuno stated multiple times that he loves british DMC.
British DmC as in the one NT made, or the fact that Kamiya intended for Dante to be british and the games vaguely take place in Britain?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

DMC5 does have some shit from DmC. Every new enemy introduced has a cutscene what pauses to shows us the creature's name. The fight with Vergil does resemble a bit of DmC final fight with the way the camera is positioned and moves...

Also in Mission 19. Vergil here is better to fight than in 3.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finished the game. I'm not happy with my performance in the battle with the final boss, used 2 yellow orbs. Now to improve my skills in the next difficulty.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

DMC5 does have some shit from DmC. Every new enemy introduced has a cutscene what pauses to shows us the creature's name. The fight with Vergil does resemble a bit of DmC final fight with the way the camera is positioned and moves...

Apparently Virility makes a cameo in DMC5 as well, but I never noticed where.

DMC5 does have some shit from DmC.
Redesign aside, NT's DMC is not a bad game tbh.

Yeah I really didn't mind it after playing it. It's a fine, competent game. One of the best western Action games, not that the bar is particularly high in that regard. I don't mind its existence as a fork in the DMC franchise, as long as it's not going to replace the real DMC (it won't). It had a pretty bitching soundtrack too.

thesoup

Arcane
https://www.spieltimes.com/news/hideaki-itsuno-was-ready-to-leave-capcom-after-dmc-devil-may-cry/

Some interesting stuff here, I guess. Someone told me that Itsuno would be down with NT making a DmC2 but reading this I'm not too sure how truthful that is.
Based fucking Itsuno. He took over dmc2 in the final months of development to salvage what he could and then didn't want to be remembered as the guy who did dmc2 so he reinvented the series and the genre with dmc3. And now he, quite possibly singlehandedly, revived the old dmc franchise (though I expect this to be the final game in the series, at least in this timeline).

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Did one normal playthough, pretty great game. Definitely don't like it as much as 3 but probably more than 4. Most of the bosses weren't as good as in either of those and V was really boring to play (i mindlessly spammed "melee" and "ranged" button at the same time, used DT when it was full and got SSS most fights), but general combat is as fun as ever, the ridiculous characters are entertaining and I love the music. Joy to play.

sullynathan

Arcane
https://www.spieltimes.com/news/hideaki-itsuno-was-ready-to-leave-capcom-after-dmc-devil-may-cry/

Some interesting stuff here, I guess. Someone told me that Itsuno would be down with NT making a DmC2 but reading this I'm not too sure how truthful that is.
Well now he's finally done with DMC and has put all his effort into the series. He can happily move on and hopefully someone competent can take over where he left off. He has had a hand in every DMC game since 2. Must be a bit annoying.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wanted to like DmC's combat but I couldn't. Color coded enemies, lack of lock on and retarded band aid solution (press B for high time, like, what???) aside, something the animation in that game made combat feel incredibly clunky to me, like moves don't flow and chain into each other well? It's a bit hard to describe, it simply just didn't feel fluid at all like any other DMC, reminded me a lot of Darksiders 1's combat where attacks are abrupt and lack at least one or two frames to make them look natural. I played a small hack n slash game called Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death and that game has much more fluid animation and combat feel than DmC for me despite having less visual feedback.

Gerrard

Arcane
dIprdD8.png
Also you niggers need to take off your nostalgia goggles if you think DMC3 is a better game than 5.

Man fuck mission 14. I don't wanna go through this "recover V's summons one by one" routine! I can already see this V faggot becoming an issue as far as replayability is concerned. He's sort of fun, maybe something that could be ok in a different game but compared to playing Nero or Dante he's just lame.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The summon reclaiming mission is short and easy so just bear with it until you get Dante back.

The intros are a Bayonetta thing. Outside of playing around more with the camera this doesn't seem to take anything from DmC. Even something you'd think it might take, like the combo timing indicator, (there's a sheen of light on your weapon in DmC to help with combo timing) which I think Bayonetta also did even if not so prominently isn't in this game.

sullynathan

Arcane
The intros are a Bayonetta thing. Outside of playing around more with the camera this doesn't seem to take anything from DmC. Even something you'd think it might take, like the combo timing indicator, (there's a sheen of light on your weapon in DmC to help with combo timing) which I think Bayonetta also did even if not so prominently isn't in this game
The producer said they took it from DmC

Suicidal

Arcane
I played around 5 missions of DmC before DMC 5 came out and I postponed the playthrough. I thought it was a decent game and I've certainly played worse slashers. You just have to mentally distance it from the other DMCs cause it doesn't really feel like them.

I don't find the combat in DmC to be bad and I didn't mind performing special moves without holding down lock-on. And I liked Dante's arsenal well enough. Color coded enemies sucked though. And cutscenes were worse. In Capcom's DMC they are charming retarded while in Ninja Theory offering they are just... retarded retarded. Still I wouldn't say it's a bad action game.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
take off your nostalgia goggles if you think DMC3 is a better game than 5.
best character all the time instead of some of the time, decent difficulty from the start, far less "meh" bosses. Still only played DH difficulty of 5 and I'll definitely come back for other runs at higher difficulties as they unlock (indeed, the quick poke around SOS for three missions already seemed better) which may improve the boss experience, but the V sections will always drag and I quite like Nero but would prefer to play Dante full time. Also, I want my favourite rebellion + dual swords combo back. 5 has the advantage of not having 3's shitty platform/puzzle bits, I suppose.

Suicidal

Arcane
take off your nostalgia goggles if you think DMC3 is a better game than 5.
best character all the time instead of some of the time, decent difficulty from the start, far less "meh" bosses. Still only played DH difficulty of 5 and I'll definitely come back for other runs at higher difficulties as they unlock (indeed, the quick poke around SOS for three missions already seemed better) which may improve the boss experience, but the V sections will always drag and I quite like Nero but would prefer to play Dante full time. Also, I want my favourite rebellion + dual swords combo back. 5 has the advantage of not having 3's shitty platform/puzzle bits, I suppose.

Disagree about 3 having less "meh" bosses. 3 had, in order of shittiness, Arkham (terrible boss - just a mass of HP with like 3 attacks), centipede thing (easy and repeptitve), fish monster's organs (easy and repetitive), doppelganger (cool idea, but pretty boring fight cause of the boss's lackluster move pool and abusable AI), cerberus (chained to the wall so really easy to avoid and trivialize). On the other hand, the only bosses in 3 that I really liked were Vergil, Beowulf, Agni & Rudra and the horse. Others were merely decent.

Now In 5, I'm about halfway through and so far I didn't like the fight with the tentacle roots in the tutorial mission and 2 of V's bosses (the mounted knight, which is not even a bad boss, it's just that fighting him with V is not very interesting and Nidhogg, which is just bad in general) and I've really enjoyed the other bosses so far. The Urizen fights are great (fighting and beating him in the prologue with no upgrades was one of the most fun and challenging battles for me in the entire series, period), Cavaliere is great (reminds me of Credo in 4 and demonic Vergil in 1), Artemis was good (a much better version of THE SAVIOR IS COMING guy in 4) and Goliath was good (reminded me a lot of Beowful but with more variation between phases). The giant War of the Worlds walker was ok.

Also, so far 5 didn't have anything nearly as shitty as Arkham in 3.

I know I still have a lot of game to go and my opinions may change but I've heard people say that the best bosses in the game are all clustered in the last several missions so I'm optimistic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom