Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Twilight Princess and Windwaker HD versions on Wii U just increase the resolution right? So they're the same as playing the original versions on Dolphin and increasing the resolution?

I've never played Wii U versions myself, but heard there are gameplay changes and additions.

TP: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/183128-the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-hd/73416347
WW: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/comprehensive-list-of-wind-waker-hd-changes.689649/

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
If I may ask, what is the difference between vanilla ocarina and master quest ? I've played standard ocarina twice and loved it. Is master quest considered superior?

Well I consider it superior. Altough Master Quest always seems kinda overlooked by fans.
The difference of Master Quest to the Original is that the Dungeons are more challenging.
The dungeons map layout is still the same, but the puzzles and enemy placement are completely different. And the game does have some of the most difficult puzzles of the franchise.

Twilight Princess and Windwaker HD versions on Wii U just increase the resolution right? So they're the same as playing the original versions on Dolphin and increasing the resolution?

Pretty much. You can even download some mods for the Dolphin. The WiiU version however adds some other graphical elements like Bloom and DoF. If want that you can always play it on CemU.

Here's a video comparison:

cosmicray

Savant
Yeah, it's a shame a lot of people will turn their nose up at it, because "Switch". It's one of the best open-world games ever, without doubt.
Well, Breath Of The Wild is the first Zelda I've played and, quite frankly, I would have prefered a non open-world one since I wanted "what's the fuss is about" experience with Zelda.

Also... I almost never used perfect dodge and never used parry. I dodged alright, but not for a flurry. And the game doesn't really require you to master any of this shit unless you want to beat Lynels left and right. Which is why, I think, many players never needed it.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
If I may ask, what is the difference between vanilla ocarina and master quest ? I've played standard ocarina twice and loved it. Is master quest considered superior?

Master quest is like a new game+ of the game. The dungeons are redesigned and the combat is in general harder. But the experience it's the same.

Fun fact: The water temple from the Master quest version is easier than the original one from the vanilla game. :despair:

Not exactly. They changed a couple of things besides the visuals.

In the case of Wind waker HD, it changes the Cell shading style for Soft shading, and the lighting of the game is vastly different (There's people that they don't like the art changes of the HD version). Some things of the game are improved: They included a sail that makes the ship faster, they made the music usage more fluid, and polished the infamous last section of the game. They included things like message bottles (A mechanic to share messages and photos with other players via online), which is very useful in the figurines sidequest of the game. In Twilight princess HD, they polished the sections as Wolf link in the twilight world, and the transformations between Link/Wolf link are more confortable, added a new item (A lamp) to track ghosts, and a couple of things more.

https://zelda.gamepedia.com/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Twilight_Princess_HD#Changes_and_Additions

https://zelda.gamepedia.com/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_The_Wind_Waker_HD#Changes_and_Additions

I highly recommend to play the HD versions of the games instead the originals. Mainly because they fixed (Or tried to fix) some gameplay issues that the original games had and people complained about back in the days. I don't know if they are playable on Cemu yet though.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yeah, I looked up footage of the HD versions and just not having to deal with a stretched, low-resolution UI originally made for 4:3 is more than enough for me to use them. Also the seas/water in Windwaker look 10x better, and you spend most of the game looking at that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Now that I actually make money I'd be buying the discs anyway to support the games, so I'll just have to decide whether to get a Wii U for ease of use or go emulator. One reason to get the Wii U is to also play Skyward Sword and Mario Galaxy after that if I decide to. I never got into Wii emulation because of the weird shit you have to do to get a Wiimote to work on PC (yes yes I'm sure you think it's easy and no big deal).

Skyward Sword is easily the worst Zelda title with maaaaaaayyybe the exception of Zelda 2 (although to be fair I never played Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks). It was clearly made while Nintendo was in a weird headspace of not knowing how to react to current market trends and it has a lot of weird, non-Zelda shit in it as a result (3 hour tutorial filled with 5 minute cutscene after 5 minute cutscene, completely disconnected overworld, and gimmicky "1 to 1" (HA!) wiimote swordplay). I would really only recommend it to someone who's played everyother 3d Zelda out there and still wants more. Otherwise I basically agree with DJO on what games are worth playing, but I would give more credit to Windwaker which is, despite some niggling flaws and a grindy fetchquesty endgame, pretty terrific.

That said, Mario Galaxy is just sheer distilled joy, and easily worth the price of admission. It's one of the only games that I've ever played that just had me grinning like an infant the entire time.

Onionguy

Educated
Skyward Sword is easily the worst Zelda title with maaaaaaayyybe the exception of Zelda 2 (although to be fair I never played Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks). It was clearly made while Nintendo was in a weird headspace of not knowing how to react to current market trends and it has a lot of weird, non-Zelda shit in it as a result (3 hour tutorial filled with 5 minute cutscene after 5 minute cutscene, completely disconnected overworld, and gimmicky "1 to 1" (HA!) wiimote swordplay). I would really only recommend it to someone who's played everyother 3d Zelda out there and still wants more. Otherwise I basically agree with DJO on what games are worth playing, but I would give more credit to Windwaker which is, despite some niggling flaws and a grindy fetchquesty endgame, pretty terrific.

That said, Mario Galaxy is just sheer distilled joy, and easily worth the price of admission. It's one of the only games that I've ever played that just had me grinning like an infant the entire time.

While I agree on SS, since linearity and hand-holding really killed that game, WW isn't really that much better. Yes, it has charming style and islands exploration can be fun for a while, but the dungeons are one of the most uninspired in the entire series. I remember, the only time I had to use my brain was precisely the last puzzle in its last dungeon. Not that Zelda games are hard in the first place, but WW is particularly easy.

On the other hand, Mario Galaxy is really fun and creative. Still would not put it above M64, because Galaxy's difficulty level is pretty inconsistent and I thought that all these wiilote minigames watered the experience down a bit. I haven't played MG2 though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Played quite a bit further and while the shine has worn off some things it's still a great game. I'm a little disappointed at the lack of unique content. The visuals are nicely varied by location and whatnot, but what you find it kind of the same stuff from the center of the map just color-swapped or slightly tweaked. When I first found a stable place I was like "what a unique and cool location!" and then I found another and another and was like "oh." The whole game feels like that a little bit, with newly colored goblins, functionally identical swords, shops with 3 food items and arrows, etc. The other main flaw is that combat really has no point to it, so every time I fight things I wonder why I'm bothering. Fight 5 goblins, break a weapon or two, to open a chest and get a replacement weapon. Like... why bother? So I mostly only fight when I have to now, or when I'm in the mood for a quick change of pace from exploring.

Those two big flaws aside, the rest of the game is pretty great. It has this lovely melancholic vibe to it, exploring a faded world with a glimmer of hope. Not in a Fallout way, but more like walking through a meadow in late Autumn or something. The music is excellent, I'm always excited to hear my favorite tunes start again and they make the areas feel more distinctive than they are. The graphics, despite the 900p resolution and horrid lack of AA or AF, are quite pleasing. The combat is fun when you fight challenging enemies like the centaur things, with lots of dodging and quick reactions needed. The puzzles in the shrines are often quite fun, not too challenging but not brain-dead simple either. I've finished two "dungeons" and they were great, with fun to fight bosses (especially the eagle thing).

It was a 10/10 in the first 10 hours but now it's like an 8. Hope it doesn't fall more, but still loving my time with it. First game I've been super invested in since Dishonored 2.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finished it. Game gets stupidly easy once you upgrade some stuff and learn how to make decent food. I think I died 20 times in the first ten hours but then never died again after that. Weird. Ganon was a sissy. Anyway... fun game, but the shine definitely wore off as it went.

cosmicray

Savant
I wish the last dungeon/castle would be larger. Main quest is crap. There was no eagerness to experience it. Perhaps has to do with it being open world. I had more fun exploring the world and searching for shrines than going after Ganon. When you think that you've explored the world enough and time has come for an EPIC quest, you kinda feel dissapointed. They should have made the last quest something akin to Guardian quests, but tenfold.

Tigranes

Arcane
I knew that the end dungeon would be short - and as DalekFlay said, by that point you're very powerful, you've seen everything the game has to offer, and you've had tons of fun for 50+ (100+ if you take your time, I guess) hours. I'm OK with that.

The final part of the Ganon fight was way too trivial, though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah I was fine with the castle being short. I had already been there anyway, and at that point was ready to "get to it." I just wish the final boss was somewhat challenging, but then that's an issue all these games have because they have to balance for people who mainline the main quest and people who take their time and get super powerful. I guess there's no "right" answer. Morrowind and Fallout New Vegas had the same thing. In all three games the hardest encounters are the ones where you go to a high level area when you're low level, which happen early in the game.

As a weird hybrid of Zelda and Western RPG it had some learning curve issues but it was still enjoyable. Honestly it's amazing to me that after 15 years of quest arrow bullshit it's a "kiddie" company like Nintendo that says you don't need that garbage, solve it yourself. Even the markers on the map screen often pointed to where you need to eventually turn the quest in, not to where you need to go to solve it. I loved that aspect and hope Bethesda and Obsidian take note, but they probably won't.

Tigranes

Arcane
The maps made sense organically anyway - you knew to look for the big ogre guys sleeping in clearings, for example. And even the shrines made sense after a while, e.g. to look for little overhangs, half-caves and other nooks where they are sheltered from the fierce snowstorms up in the mountains. I could really stop looking at the map and walk around, as if I'm just on a daily trek out to the wilderness to try and get to the next village before the sun sets.

I think my favourite boss fight was flying around against the dragon, just for the wow factor. Would have been cool to see more that made use of the environment or the bosses' giant size in a creative way.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The graphics

Play the PC version ;)

It's only really the lack of AF that bothered me. I'm not a graphics whore and 900p is fine enough for me, and the artstyle was great. It was just a shame to see every surface not immediately in front of the camera look like a blurry mess. AF literally takes almost zero resources on PC, so I'll never understand why consoles have such a hard time with it. Their architecture I guess, I'm not techy.

Was AF worth the hassle of emulating it though? Meh... especially with Nintendo on the prowl for that shit.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
You can add (or remove) depth of field, anti-aliasing, change resolution up to 4k, and even edit the graphics. Oh, you can also remove the cel-shading now too.

There's really no other reason to play BotW other than for the graphics, as there's barely a Zelda game in here, so one might as well play it on PC.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Well, like I said, graphics are the only reason to play BotW. No point in playing this on console. Another benefit of emulating it is playing it at 60fps too, which is for some people an even more tangible benefit than playing it with better graphics.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
We had this discussion like 10 fucking times by now in this very same thread.
For what reason do you think Zelda BotW is not a Zelda game?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
We had this discussion like 10 fucking times by now in this very same thread.
For what reason do you think Zelda BotW is not a Zelda game?

It's definitely very different, but it's also very Zelda in a lot of ways. It's like a Japanese and Western co-production of some kind, like Metroid Prime in a weird way, but obviously different genres. Saying it's only worth playing for the graphics is typical Codex edgelord hyperbole, but if you hate the "Western" aspects of it like the open world and resource management then I could see disliking it despite loving the series, sure.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
it's only redeeming quality is its visual presentation
You didn't enjoy freely roaming around an LoZ museum? Fucking around with the phsysics, seeing what's over the next hill? Sure the shrines are mostly retarded, but there is fun in breaking the intended solutions. Yes, they fucked up Zelda (what a fucking whiner) and yes the ending is complete shit, but saying the GFX are the only reason to play it is just cranky.

Tigranes

Arcane
Dude complained about weapon degradation like 8 times in this thread. As if there aren't 80 alternatives around every corner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom