Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Dedup

Augur
I was playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker, but then I made the grave mistake of of starting up Might and Magic 7 for the first time. Now, other than a few matches of DOA6 now and then, everything else is dropped. I swear the Might and Magic series is some form of digital crack.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
No big surprise what I am playing right now, considering I've been shilling it for the past week.

guuTQmx.jpg

I think I'll be able finish it this weekend.

Mechs Delight

Educated
Thief 1 is still one of the best games ever. Even if AI is a bit lacking...

What really hurt me when playing Thiaf was realizing that the AI hadn't advanced at all since the first Thief game.

Or maybe it did but they just didn't bother implementing it.

Either way, Thiaf sucks. Check my sig. *cough*
No idea about Thiaf but guards leaving you alone after 5 seconds of alert are quite dissapointing after, say, Dishonored

Still level design + number of guards make sneaking through this game awesome

Trust me, NuThief was completely, unspeakably awful, making even Deadly Shadows (which I didn't care for that much) look like a dazzling bar of gold.

Krivol

Magister
Trust me, NuThief was completely, unspeakably awful, making even Deadly Shadows (which I didn't care for that much) look like a dazzling bar of gold.

That's why it's not on my list.

After finishing Dishonored I decided to try al sneaky games I know and never played / played ages ago, so I have those:

Thief 1 , 2, 3 (I liked it years ago, so why not)
Dishonored 2 (mixed opinions, 1st was quite fun even if easy and simplistic)
Styx 1 and 2 (heard it's quite nice)
Ghost of a tale (that visuals!)

and few immersive sims that have sneaky way through them

Deus Ex (played it so long ago...)
Deus Ex mankind divined (HR finished year ago - it was rather fun energy bars eating sim)
Dark Messiah of MM (never sunk into that, but hear prise from erverywhere)
Prey

Most probably I will get bored after thief 2 , but with my time for playing games it will take 20 years anyway.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I've played around 40 hours of Witcher 3 in the last two weeks, and especially when I've been playing for a while in one go the cutscenes really start to drag. The main quest can be unbearable sometimes with how long they stand around talking about things I don't care about. But I don't really want to skip them either, because I want to participate with what the otherwise rather good game wants me to do.
Makes me wish I could play as a rock troll who always had the option of killing any conversation by saying things like "No~ Words-a-words many. Hurt head!" or "witcher, wish-a-swosh?" and have the game work around that, so that I felt that I could participate in whats going on in the story on my level.

My favourite thing in the game is using axii on people in conversations because it makes me feel like I have jedi mind trixXx like Qui Gon and Obi Wan. Something I never before knew I wished for.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
After a two week stint with fighting games, which ended up with me dropping about 50 games all at once (let's say tits and ass aren't the best reason to play a game; Chun-Li best girl, though), I decided to go back to a few games. The first one is Resident Evil 2, which I'm still playing, and which I plan to review if I ever get around to playing both characters in a row. The other is Odin Sphere (PS2).

I've dropped Odin Sphere because the gameplay is fairly repetitive in the worst ways. I don't feel like I'm in control during fighting, and the whole inventory system which forces you to have a handful items at a time proves to be a major, MAJOR annoyance, as you are picking up stuff all the time in this game. The graphics look great at a glance, but fairly quickly they lose their charm when you notice how flat everything is. In my opinion, Paper Mario doesn't look good, and that translates into Odin Sphere as well. It feels more like cutouts (given the backgrounds are a blend of 3D + cutouts, after all) as opposed to a genuine 2D space like Street Fighter.

So now I'm going to the last PS2 game I have to beat, which is King's Field 4. Perhaps after it I will play Yakuza 2, given I really enjoyed the first title, and I've heard the second improves a good deal on the combat, which was a major source of criticism from me.

Prime Junta

Since felipepepe gave it such a glowing recommendation (and it's dirt cheap by now), Millennial Effect: Andromeda.

Haven't seen anything yet to make me viscerally hate it, other than that one blonde lady's haircut.

I don't know if it's because I've picked the wrong lines but so far Boy-Ryder seems much more reasonable than I expected.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's not one big dumb thing, is a collection of stupid things that keep pilling up until you give up.

I'd say it's worth playing until the game opens and you fight an architect. Then just uninstall and see the ending on YouTube. It's not like any choice you make in the game matters anyway.

Prime Junta

One thing ME did right (and I haven't given credit for before) is music. It's memorable and quite nicely space-operatic.

Edit: I do admit that as a middle-aged male I resent that my only use is as a plot device capable of heroic self-sacrifice and then getting TF out of the way so the millennials do their thing. It's a bit too true to life for my blood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Been playing some King of dragon Pass, but I'm not sure I'll keep on playing. Or in case I do want to play, I'm most likely to search for the classic version of the game.

I'm also playing Massive Chalice since it was gifted to me on Codex some time ago. I suppose it's a descent game, but a bit simple. I do like the aging mechanic, because you'll think to yourself: That dude/dudette was really useful in a fight. Trying to keep away the corruption or w/e is a good way to keep you on your toes. I don't know how big of an impact decisions make, and I guess that I will never know. I don't plan to do a replay. Some decisions seem to have really bad consequences, though.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Just finished up my 1st DMC5 playtrough, on Devil Hunter difficulty (=normal).

:5/5: / :5/5:

One of the best action games I played in my life.

4egHRiU.jpg

I'll leave you guys with this, to show just how fucking great the gameplay is:

Saerain

Augur
Patron
All my "gaming" time has been game development, lately, but tonight I'll be cracking open Ancestors Legacy.

Looks very promising for my tastes, but the only RTS I've found worth a damn lately is Battlefleet Gothic II so we'll see...

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Was wasting time on AC:Odyssey, got to about LVL 19, was bored and sent it back to Gamefly.

If Gamefly sends it on time, Sekiro is next on the list.

Zep--

I bought Hollow Knight months ago and never touched it; it seemed like a big and involved game and I wanted to enjoy it properly by waiting until I had a decent chunk of time. Finally had such an opportunity and started. Enjoying it considerably. I'm not very good at it (or adventure platformers in general) but I'm still having a lot of fun even if I occasionally ragequit from a boss (and I think I'm starting to get a bit competent). Love the music, setting, and atmosphere. Character tuning via charms is nice.

Good shit so far, glad I bought it.

Styx 1 and 2 (heard it's quite nice)

They are extremely good, in my opinion. I would personally rank Styx MoS as my second favourite stealth game, after Thief 2 and before Thief 2X & 1.

MoS is fairly rough and unpolished but has fantastic atmosphere and a genuinely compelling if straightforward plot. SoD is very polished with high quality graphics (MoS had better art direction despite low quality graphics) and better gameplay, but I wasn't a fan of the story. Many users have complained about the jokes. I found the fourth wall breaks to be genuinely well implemented but hated the pop culture references. It's definitely a less serious game than MoS.

I also noticed that SoD's level design is a lot more forgiving than MoS's. Far more routes and hiding places, less of the big open areas. As a result it's a lot easier. Both are excellent games in their own way.

Krivol

Magister
Still Thief 1 Gold

Yeah, gold, for the first time in my life.

I just fucking finished this fucking thieves guild misson! Which sadistic devil designed this place!? I will dream about it till the rest of my life!

God! It feels like I spent a month or two there, I was thinking about moving in, if I ever build a house it will have same interior as thieves guild in T:G, cos now it's more familiar to me than my bathroom!

OMG! I think I knocked out everyone there and still could not find fuck'n bracelet! And it was so obvious...

God damn, I love this game!

Prime Junta

You have more intestinal fortitude than I, felipepepe my friend. I just can't seem to be able to give a shit, and there's way too much running around and clicking through conversations to get to the shooty bits. I haven't uninstalled this one yet but I don't think it will be long.

Makes me realise how much of a difference a strong protag makes. Commander Shepard was badass enough to carry an otherwise pretty mediocre space opera. In this one the space opera is maybe even marginally less mediocre, but there's just no personality there. Shame that.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I completed Cold War (2005).
It's basically budget Splinter Cell made by some Czech developers. It's not bad at all, even has Ghost and Pacifist difficulty modes. Basically a cheesy spy story in the Soviet Union where you save Gorbachev and defeat some hardcore Stalinists against Perestroika and Glasnost.
A lot of the game revolves around crafting your own creative gear to get through the missions.
There's tons of stuff, 4 variants of non-lethal and lethal mines (that the AI can detect, I might add), gun upgrades, rubber bullets made out of plastic bottles that knock out enemies, a slingshot and a ton of different things you can fire from it. All of it is very creative and fun to use and you can mix and match them to figure out your own solutions to problems. The firearms in this game have a very short effective range, much like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, which leads to various annoyances where the game basically cheats you out of a KO/kill and you have to reload a save.

You can do the game fully non lethal, but I fell back on the AK later down the line since my non-lethal resources were stretched very thin.

Main annoyances were getting it running 1080p (requires a hex edited executable, but this page will get you sorted.) and the stupidly twitchy AI and how fast they just erase you if you get detected on Hard difficulty.
The game also reuses levels over and over again, but that is expected of a budget title.
Main character has bad posture, by the way.

It's budget game cheese to the max, and I love every bit of it. Some of the dialogue is really hilarious as a result.
CMafWPj.jpg
qOsnxfW.jpg
OM1kOYh.jpg
h7YPxmz.jpg

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
MotherMachinae
I had never heard of it before. It is a personal goal of mine to complete every stealth game, I have done almost everything I can think of other than No One Lives Forever, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, the 6th generation version of Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Thief 2 (I quit at the last mission the first time I played 2 years ago, lol. Will do it this year.), Thief 3, Death to Spies series and Hitman: Codename 47. I suppose what you suggested is another one for The List. It appears to be from the same devs as Hidden and Dangerous 2, which I did late last year. If it is anything like it, I will probably enjoy it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
edit: you doing stealthy binge? Then maybe put both Gorky games (Zero and 02, latest known as "Soldier Elite" on Gamersgate store).
Well, not really binge. This is something that will take me probably at least 2 years more to finish off.
zwanzig_zwoelf already suggested Gorky Zero to me, I'll get around to it when I will get around to it.

HansDampf

Arcane
I'm trying out Zachtronics's latest autism simulator EXAPUNKS, and it's the first of them that doesn't immediately click with me. The hacker/cyberpunk presentation is so cheesy, it hurts. And it's one of those programming games that wants you to RTFM (the zine!!1). This time you are programming bots called EXAs to do some data manipulation. At first I thought this was pretty lame, but it looks like there are some neat tricks possible.
For example, there is an early puzzle where you have to copy and move a bunch of numerical values some distance from one register to another. First instinct is to have two EXAs communicate with each other to send and receive the values.
bemVC3D.gif

The leaderboard will then make you feel stupid for doing it the slow way. Instead, you can program one EXA to carry just one value to the target, and also to clone itself, so you get a constant stream of EXAs carrying values...
jniQvCo.gif

Grey goo event incoming.
Still mixed feelings about this.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
They are extremely good, in my opinion. I would personally rank Styx MoS as my second favourite stealth game, after Thief 2 and before Thief 2X & 1.

MoS is fairly rough and unpolished but has fantastic atmosphere and a genuinely compelling if straightforward plot. SoD is very polished with high quality graphics (MoS had better art direction despite low quality graphics) and better gameplay, but I wasn't a fan of the story. Many users have complained about the jokes. I found the fourth wall breaks to be genuinely well implemented but hated the pop culture references. It's definitely a less serious game than MoS.

I also noticed that SoD's level design is a lot more forgiving than MoS's. Far more routes and hiding places, less of the big open areas. As a result it's a lot easier. Both are excellent games in their own way.

I find it interesting that general impression with both Styx games seems to have been they're too hardcore for people who pretend they like stealth games, but can't cut it with the real deal. Or as close as you'll get with a modern game.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Trying to form a slavic Russian Empire in CK2, starting as Rurikids? How the fuck are you supposed to expand? My vassals refuse to fight other slavs, which means I can't take on Polotsk and they just blob up.
I can take out Pskov no problem. My vassal won't join that war, but I can just use my Demesne. I can't go south though due to that big Polotsk blob.
Is there a way to see if your vassals will join you before declaring war?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom