Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wargroove - Advance Wars/Fire Emblem-inspired game by Starbound devs

Farewell into the night

Is this any good?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this any good?
yes.png

Tigranes

Arcane
I picked this up. For some crazy reason I missed out on Advance Wars (didn't have a GBA either), and Into the Breach is on my list, but I'm obviously coming off Fire Emblem, Shining Force 2, etc, etc.

Couple hours in, I like it, with caveats.
-> Custom sliders for difficulty for enemy damage, gold, and groove (charged special powers). Fantastic simple thing to have in a game like this.
-> Basic systems are solid and the basic gameplay loop is fast and efficient. I don't know yet how it'll stack up later on. 5-6 missions into campaign, no super 'puzzle'-y stuff yet. Mostly get a barracks, make units, fight, etc.
-> Art style is cartoonish utter shit. You can tell already right? Oh well.
-> Story is some kind of Disney shit but you can skip it all, just like latter day Fire Emblem. Doesn't bother me much.

Seems definitely worth a punt for $20 or whatnot. I have it on Switch but it should be identical for PC.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I'll get it once it releases on GOG, but I don't really like the art and the fact that it's another Medieval fantasy game. AW was great because it had tanks and stuff.

Trithne

Erudite
I'll get it once it releases on GOG, but I don't really like the art and the fact that it's another Medieval fantasy game. AW was great because it had tanks and stuff.

Yeah, the terrain defense model doesn't actually make sense in the medieval format, because your troops move out of the cover they're in to attack, but abstractions are abstract. It's perfectly functional and a good system, just more elegant in AW.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Regarding the puzzle parts, how bearable are they?
I liked Into the Breach and Incubation in this regard.
Not sure what you mean, it's a tactics game.
Then again I thought Incubation was a tactics game too so maybe that answers your question.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Then again I thought Incubation was a tactics game too so maybe that answers your question.
I find that the distinction between puzzle and tactics in a game like this has a lot to do with how much randomness is included.
If everything (from the AI behavior to hit/damage rolls) is fully deterministic and will always be the same under the same conditions, it is a lot more like a puzzle game than like a tactics game. You can basically win the battle the moment it starts (in your head, anyway). That's the major reason I really didn't like Into The Breach, it's just a fancy puzzle game with pew pew effects.
But if the game features randomness that forces you to adjust, it's definitely a tactics game.

Destroid

Arcane
I find that the distinction between puzzle and tactics in a game like this has a lot to do with how much randomness is included.
If everything (from the AI behavior to hit/damage rolls) is fully deterministic and will always be the same under the same conditions, it is a lot more like a puzzle game than like a tactics game. You can basically win the battle the moment it starts (in your head, anyway). That's the major reason I really didn't like Into The Breach, it's just a fancy puzzle game with pew pew effects.
But if the game features randomness that forces you to adjust, it's definitely a tactics game.

Into the Breach has a ton of randomness about where the monsters are gonna spawn in and what they do.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
But you always know the outcome of every action before it's made. Hell, the premise is precisely that you assign the orders to your mechas already knowing what the kaiju's are going to do in the following turn.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Into the Breach has a ton of randomness about where the monsters are gonna spawn in and what they do.
Well, maybe not 100% puzzle, but pretty damn close. Enough to make me dislike the game based on my very strong dislike of puzzles.
Having me play a game is probably a reliable scientific method of determining if it is a puzzle...

Zombra

Patron
This game does have a touch of randomness, there is like a 5% variation in damage done. But knights will still own mages, mages will still own harpies etc.

I just started a 4-person game for Codexers only. Join code is 32TVQX, do you dare defy my skeleton army? Let's go Tigranes Trithne pakoito Ventidius Dakka

And yes, the game is cross-platform, I don't care if you got it for Nintendo Switch, just shut up and join.

Trithne

Erudite
I've been neglecting it, but I'll jump in tonight. Is the multiplayer asynchronous? Timezones might play hell with me otherwise.

Zombra

Patron
I've been neglecting it, but I'll jump in tonight. Is the multiplayer asynchronous? Timezones might play hell with me otherwise.
Asynchronous, it's awesome. Just jump in, take your turn, and then hit Mission > Suspend, then wait for a Steam notification it's your turn again.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Would love to join you guys, but I haven't even purchased this yet. To be quite honest, it kinda fell off my radar a while back, but the feedback in this thread looks very encouraging, especially since I don't really have a problem with puzzle-like mission design, so I might still get it at some point.

Zombra

Patron
Man, what a meat grinder. Tigranes and I are tearing the shit out of each other. Great battle! If only more brave souls would play with us.

But I guess y'all are
aUWy.gif

Prove me wrong. 32TVQX

Tigranes

Arcane
Zombra started ripping into my entire army, but, uh, his general saw a dragon and decided not to run for his life..

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Didn't get too far with this due to the stupid-ass story, but count me in for mp once my vacations are over.

rvm1975

Educated
I am played Langrisser / Wargroove in 90s. And greatly enjoying "Langrisser M".

It is project created via crowdfunding by fans. So monetary system is most f2p friendly everseen.

And I do enjoy the graphics, story etc. Also PC client exists for the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom