Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Why is there no Internet(or INSERT TECHNOLOGY HERE) in Fallout?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am pretty surprised seeing people not knowing that Internet creation was state sponsored. Do you really imagine corporations spending millions of dollars on something that may never become profitable and even if it would, it would still take decades to do so? If we would let corporations sponsor our technological/science development, the technological/science development would stop.
Not stop, but it would be much more short sighted, on average.

It's highly likely that you're using stuff or derivatives thereof invented at Bell Labs to communicate in this thread, for instance.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Obviously the answer for why "x" isn't in Fallout is because of the whole retrofuturism style but I wonder if for specific cases, there's a bunch of lore buried deep in the Fallout Bible, interviews, or whatever that points to an in-universe answer (which I can't bother to find)

Is there any specific reason why the Internet in Fallout seems not to have developed past Email.
Should be mentioned though that transistors were invented but only around 10 years before the great war.

I remember once discussing about storage media with someone, and I remember someone saying something about how we could have easily just leaped straight from Tapes to Solid-State Media, jumping the CD and the DVD. Memory is wrong, but I think it was alternate history about some weird hi-tech tape from the time becoming the new standard, rather than the CD

Lurker47

Savant
I remember once discussing about storage media with someone, and I remember someone saying something about how we could have easily just leaped straight from Tapes to Solid-State Media, jumping the CD and the DVD. Memory is wrong, but I think it was alternate history about some weird hi-tech tape from the time becoming the new standard, rather than the CD
Not what you're talking about but I want an excuse to post this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

Not what you're talking about but I want an excuse to post this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

I want one!

How durable is one of these?

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I am pretty surprised seeing people not knowing that Internet creation was state sponsored. Do you really imagine corporations spending millions of dollars on something that may never become profitable and even if it would, it would still take decades to do so? If we would let corporations sponsor our technological/science development, the technological/science development would stop.
Not stop, but it would be much more short sighted, on average.

It's highly likely that you're using stuff or derivatives thereof invented at Bell Labs to communicate in this thread, for instance.

IMO people often exaggerate the importance of the government in the creation the internet, usually for political purposes.

The original work on the internet was state sponsored because only the state had an application for the internet - communication systems that are robust to a nuclear attack. The internet was planned to be a part of nuclear command and control and this didn't have an obvious civil application.

Once there was a civil application for the internet (originally email) - huge amounts of funding was provided by the private sector. Think about all the prerequisite technology required for an early 90s westerner to get access to email(/BBS): dial up internet modems, internet service providers, email servers, personal computers, graphical interfaces driven by keyboard and mouse, ethernet framing protocols, mass production of hard drives, unix for the ISPs to run, etc. For the most part, these are all privately funded things.

If civil society had had a pressing application for the internet in the 1960s then the internet would have been invented by the private sector and that can be said with some confidence because the private sector invented nearly everything else in the ecosystem of required technologies to actually use the internet.

There's probably also a political selection going on when people choose the internet as "the" key foundational technology. Why not the personal computer, the C programming language or any of the things listed above. They're all arguably as important. Note that in Fallout lore, the main reason there is no internet is because there is no transistor (though maybe an internet based on vaccuum tube computers is technically possible - telephones certainly used vacuum tubes). The transistor was of course an invention of the private sector.

Anyway, back onto topic: I thought more about the reason why the internet is not present in fallout. I think mass communications, whether telephones, a post office or the internet make it impossible to sustain any kind of post-apocalyptic world. While communications don't in themselves provide any solutions to core problems of post-apocalyptic societies like access to water or irradiation they allow for whatever advances have been developed to spread rapidly. One of the main underlying features of a post-apoc society is that society is broken up and disparate. The internet would remove that feature fairly quickly and so while the official reason there's no internet in Fallout is "no transistor" I suspect that really the writers went back in time removing key technologies until mass communication systems were impossible.

Lurker47

Savant
ped to spread rapidly. One of the main underlying features of a post-apoc society is that society is broken up and disparate. The internet would remove that feature fairly quickly
Now I want to see a post-apocalyptic story where there's Internet- but it's just AIM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom