Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fluent plays D&D: Tactics

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

It's a good game on the PSP. Very good. Problem is it's too easy. Is there any way to hack the PPSSXX emulator and add in new difficulty modes or tweaks to the game? I got very far in it but quit because every battle was a pushover, and I'm not even a D&D buff like that (I made decent characters but no min/maxing.) It's got deep combat like ToEE and KotC, maybe even deeper, but yeah, need someone to hack it and make the EXP gain a lot lower over the course of the campaign. Any ideas?

Deleted Member 16721

I love RPGs. But my passion has been crashing lately for some reason. I am going to play Keep on the Borderland but did want to ask about this game since I never asked if a hack or cheat engine could be used to improve it. I was just curious.

Martyr

Arcane
sounds like you're burnt out on RPGs. so I'd suggest you either play something different (shooter? adventure?) or you try a great RPG you've never played before - how about Prelude to Darkness, for example?

Deleted Member 16721

Just balling with College Hoops 2K8 and having a blast in my second season of my dynasty. :) Might need to chill on the RPGs for now.

Martyr

Arcane
Fluent I was just stalking having a look at your steam profile and I noticed something I didn't like: 2.1 hours on Deus Ex.
make that 21 hours right now !!! seriously. and it's different enough from ToEE and KotC that it might cure your RPG burnout (Deus Ex is primarily a stealth game).

Deleted Member 16721

Deus Ex seemed like I would love it but it didn't grab me at the start. The first level area seemed large and mostly empty and I didn't get very far. I'll give it a go again sometime. And a lot of games I played were on GOG and not even listed on the Steam profile btw. I wish Steam tracked hours of non-Steam games.

Martyr

Arcane
Fluent that's the beauty of Deus Ex: it's large and you can get lost in it. but you can also rush through the first level in ~5 minutes.

grom

Educated
Deus Ex seemed like I would love it but it didn't grab me at the start. The first level area seemed large and mostly empty and I didn't get very far.

Man, you give up easily. Maybe that's the root of your "Gaming funk". When I was younger that used to happen to me. I'd play something for an hour or two and if it didn't grab me immediately I'd drop it and switch to something else. Doing that all the time definitely burns you out.

The solution for me was to not switch games if I started getting bored, but to just stop playing and do something else altogether. You eventually feel like going back to the game.

Deleted Member 16721

Nah, I don't give up too easily. Usually I have an attenion span on a single RPG for dozens of hours, but what happens is that as I start to burn out on gaming in general, my attention goes down for the games near the start of my 'funk'. I go through this all the time, my hobbies change entirely for months on end. So I'm not sure there's anything I can do to prevent it.

Swigen

Arbiter
I think you should buy a Vita. Know what the Vita has? I’ll tell you what the Vita has. Vita has liek every jrpg ever made AND it’s got Tearaway! You know about that gaem? Lemme tell you about that game. That game has creative touch and camera mechanics. You’ll be playing when all of a sudden you see FINGERS! You’ll be like, “Whoa! Who’s fingers are those?!?” Well, I’ll tell you whose fingers, those are YOUR FINGERS! That’s right, the Vita has rear touch screen capabilities ensuring you’ll always have yore fingers in on the action! But that’s not all, Vita has THE BEST version of Corpse Party you can buy! Also it has an EXCLUSIVE Uncharted gaem! Yeah, I think a Vita is just what the doctor ordered.

deama

Prophet
I used to "mod" (kinda still do) games by changing the rulesets, e.g. double damage taken in divine divinity, remove weapon skill caps in mount and blade and make main character do more damage the more strength he had, removed level cap from pillars of eternity, increase attribute gain by 3x in spellforce, increasing jump height and movement speed in san andreas depending on how much money you had etc...

Not sure I can help you since I only do windows based games, but ppsspp has a diassembler so you could probably do it. Unlike games for windows, I think the ones for consoles are easier to modify cause they don't bother to put in "anti-cheat" mechanisms in the assembly.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Deus Ex seemed like I would love it but it didn't grab me at the start. The first level area seemed large and mostly empty and I didn't get very far. I'll give it a go again sometime. And a lot of games I played were on GOG and not even listed on the Steam profile btw. I wish Steam tracked hours of non-Steam games.
The first level is known to be underwhelming, most people advise holding off on judgement til after it since the quality jumps up from there.

Deleted Member 16721

I used to "mod" (kinda still do) games by changing the rulesets, e.g. double damage taken in divine divinity, remove weapon skill caps in mount and blade and make main character do more damage the more strength he had, removed level cap from pillars of eternity, increase attribute gain by 3x in spellforce, increasing jump height and movement speed in san andreas depending on how much money you had etc...

Not sure I can help you since I only do windows based games, but ppsspp has a diassembler so you could probably do it. Unlike games for windows, I think the ones for consoles are easier to modify cause they don't bother to put in "anti-cheat" mechanisms in the assembly.

I would have no idea how to do it, I've never modded anything but Kenshi. Would you be willing to work on it with me? I think it would be a worthwhile endeavor because the game as I've mentioned is just as deep as ToEE or KotC mechanically. I think the best bet would be to lower XP gain across the board, and maybe to increase some enemy stats like damage dealt. I don't think it would take much to rebalance the game to make it more challenging. I'd have to refresh my memory a bit but I know outleveling content was an issue. Let me know if you're interested man.

Deleted Member 16721

The first level is known to be underwhelming, most people advise holding off on judgement til after it since the quality jumps up from there.

I'll keep that in mind for next time I play it. Thanks for the tip.

deama

Prophet

I would have no idea how to do it, I've never modded anything but Kenshi. Would you be willing to work on it with me? I think it would be a worthwhile endeavor because the game as I've mentioned is just as deep as ToEE or KotC mechanically. I think the best bet would be to lower XP gain across the board, and maybe to increase some enemy stats like damage dealt. I don't think it would take much to rebalance the game to make it more challenging. I'd have to refresh my memory a bit but I know outleveling content was an issue. Let me know if you're interested man.
I might give it a go this week since I got nothing to do. I'll go ahead and get them. If you "happen" to know the links where to get the game, send me a pm.

deama

Prophet
Sorry, I give up, the ppsspp disassembly tools are way too annoying.
Try the ppsspp forums.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom