Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

but i thought they said it would NEVER EVER shut down, it would "last forever"'

Which was the dumbest non-story ever. When asked how long it would run they said they would keep it going as long as there were players to support it, which is basically every online game ever.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I think that if the game came out roughly 3 months ago, and (hopefully) him not lying about his 900, that would result in roughly 10h of game time / day.

They did him a favour - saved him from himself.

Turjan

Arcane
Bethesda still repeats lines like these: "There’s nothing like the start of something new - for you and for us, and having millions of you join us on this new adventure is humbling for our studio. Thank you for sticking with us as we figure this online experience out together, and we do mean “together.”"

Is there any other way to read this than a claim that they still have "millions" of players? There's also this: "We’re thrilled by how much everyone is playing, with an average time of 4 hours a day."

To get to "4 hours a day" on average, you can't just assume a few very dedicated players to get to that number. Of course, Zenimax isn't a publicly traded company, which means they are free to lie about numbers like these. On the other hand, that wording with "the start of something new" makes it possible to read this as a future expectation. Well, whatever.

Anyway, they posted some kind of roadmap now:

Fallout76_RoadMap_2018_02-21_FINAL.PNG

Does the third one hint at human NPC's? The only detailed part is the first one though:

Fallout76_WildAppalachia_Roadmap_FINAL.png

Some of the stuff that's already in the files gets rolled out.

All of this directly from the horse's mouth: https://bethesda.net/en/article/7Lw6jVvhjzSNzuUMmKZgwn/fallout-76-100-days-roadmap-for-2019

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
but i thought they said it would NEVER EVER shut down, it would "last forever"'

Which was the dumbest non-story ever. When asked how long it would run they said they would keep it going as long as there were players to support it, which is basically every online game ever.

I would imagine the plan was to eke it out till they release the next 'proper' Fallout game, try and milk the diehard (Bethestard) Fallout Fanbois for the next ten years with constant drip feed micro transactions; but given the reception of the game and its number unknown playerbase who knows what will happen?

And I call BS on the "millions" of players line they came out with, but they can obviously lie and say whatever they want, and Im sure it keeps the current whales playing better than if you announce the game is dying.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Admittedly that's a decent way to do things. They just joked about themselves as they did with Skyrim remakes back in their E3 conference.

Starwars

Arcane
Bethesda still repeats lines like these: "There’s nothing like the start of something new - for you and for us, and having millions of you join us on this new adventure is humbling for our studio. Thank you for sticking with us as we figure this online experience out together, and we do mean “together.”"

Is there any other way to read this than a claim that they still have "millions" of players? There's also this: "We’re thrilled by how much everyone is playing, with an average time of 4 hours a day."

To get to "4 hours a day" on average, you can't just assume a few very dedicated players to get to that number. Of course, Zenimax isn't a publicly traded company, which means they are free to lie about numbers like these. On the other hand, that wording with "the start of something new" makes it possible to read this as a future expectation. Well, whatever.

Does the third one hint at human NPC's? The only detailed part is the first one though:

All of this directly from the horse's mouth: https://bethesda.net/en/article/7Lw6jVvhjzSNzuUMmKZgwn/fallout-76-100-days-roadmap-for-2019

Sometimes I still get these sudden moments of "is this really happening?" when thinking about the fact that shit like this actually got spawned from what used to be my favorite franchise in gaming and possibly my favorite game of all time (Fallout).

ADL

Prophet

As long as it's Bethesda Austin doing the heavy lifting going forward I don't see any reason why this can't be another redemption arc for them. Elder Scrolls Online was shit at launch and now it's the third best game in the series (behind Daggerfall and Morrowind) and I mean... No Man's Sky and Sea of Thieves managed to turn a shitshow into something worth playing.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Angthoron

Arcane

As long as it's Bethesda Austin doing the heavy lifting going forward I don't see any reason why this can't be another redemption arc for them. Elder Scrolls Online was shit at launch and now it's the third best game in the series (behind Daggerfall and Morrowind) and I mean... No Man's Sky and Sea of Thieves managed to turn a shitshow into something worth playing.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
There can be no redemption for Bethesda beyond shutting down and tarring and feathering everyone responsible for Fallout 3.

ADL

Prophet
There can be no redemption for Bethesda beyond shutting down and tarring and feathering everyone responsible for Fallout 3.
Bethesda Austin is fine. Everything they're responsible for in 76 (everything aside from the engine and the asset quality which had to remain consistent with 4's) was great and I think they made the best out of an awful situation.

As always, Bethesda's subsidiaries and contractors handle their properties better than they do themselves. Not saying it's a great Fallout game and it's certainly not the direction I would've taken the series in personally but it's
fun
and absolutely a recommendation for the $10 you can find it on keysites for these days.

ADL

Prophet
So, what can you recommend about this game to a codexian fan of the series?
Build variety, the actual landmass and the writing is far beyond anything Bethesda has put out in the past 17 years, not saying it's Fallout 1/2-tier but at least it's acceptable now.

Also why does it have to be a fan of the series? It's essentially a spin off and people a thread down are praising The Division 2 as a loot shooter. For $10 I'd pay the price of admission for a loot shooter like this.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, what can you recommend about this game to a codexian fan of the series?
Build variety, the actual landmass and the writing is far beyond anything Bethesda has put out in the past 17 years, not saying it's Fallout 1/2-tier but at least it's acceptable now.

Also why does it have to be a fan of the series? It's essentially a spin off and people a thread down are praising The Division 2 as a loot shooter. For $10 I'd pay the price of admission for a loot shooter like this.

76 has no characters and no dialogue decisions. Saying it has the best writing of any BGS game since Morrowind (with that execrable dialogue system) doesn’t mean anything. 76 simply didn’t attempt to do the things Bethesda usually does poorly. If you took all of the human NPCs out of Fallout 3 or 4, leaving only the found documents, you could argue that the writing quality in those games would improve, but the games themselves would be much, much worse. Found documents and NPCs serve very different purposes. If you’re saying 76 has the best notes and terminal entries and holotapes since Morrowind, who cares?

For all intents and purposes, Fallout 4 is already a looter shooter, except with poor shooting and terrible loot. The core gameplay loop is boring and profoundly unsatisfying. How on earth does that make for a worthwhile standalone game? They could give 76 away for free, the main investment here is our time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom