Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Heh.
I figured why old model 0.5 economy was so 'unbalanced'.
Every time you load autosave every enemy active camp get free resources. Which allow them mass spawn camps and raiding parties.
So player save scum a little or game crashed(which even now happen rarely) and whoop - map i flooded with enemy camps and parties.
German OVERengineering
No wonder it wasn't balanced. But RNG is fine folks - the Kraut coder make sure of that.
So currently doing testing run with no use of autosaves and its fine so far.

Reinhardt

Arcane
c49wk.png

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Create a mod for the old stuff Sarissofoi

TLDR version: Problem is that is not really worth.
If you leave behind my obsession with simulation(that isn't really here - more about it later) the old version is much simpler(which have some charm), have much less polish and much less content and lack quality of life improvements that we get in current versions(not even talking about mods).
Some of it could be modded in(the old version) - thing is engine is older and some things won't work(if modded back) an the other are time consuming mostly.
Content thing is most easily doable as adding new enemies, items etc is fairly easy(even for me who have little idea what are he doing).
Polish is worse - some can be done, some not, and other require knowledge and skills that I don't have.
I mean I talking about version where is no talents(stars), leveling is constant(no random numbers), only 12 bros with no reserve(and no formation), plenty of armor and weapons is missing(compared to modern version), some weapons are really bad(like flails with its shitty 2ndary attack - no go for the heads one), plenty other things that are taken for granted. Combat and balance is much less polished - still fun tho.
Still its kind of fun - simpler but charming and grass is much greener which is big plus for me.

Problem is that simulation part that I was hyped so long - it is here but it isn't.
Sure camps(and settlements) run on specific economy.
They gather resources, for camps they come from:
>basic income
>hunting/scavenging parties - camp spawn unit that roam around camp and gather resources at steady rate
>attacking caravans and from combat(both stealing resources that defeated side carried and looting killed enemy units)
>from raiding settlements
Human settlements get their resources from:
>basic income
>transporting res between settlements by caravans(must be some Kraut ponzi scheme) as it bring profit both sides
>combat and stealing back from enemy defeated parties
Both sides use resources to spawn global map parties. Each caravan, patrol, raiders cost Res and when its come back its converted back to res.
So far so good.
Problem is when you save and leave the game(or game crash for whatever reason) and then come back - the camps get resources boost from unidentified source. Yep. Even from coming back from normal saves not only from autosaves(as I was claiming before - my mistake).
So as far as your game don't crash or you don't turn it down - its alright. Enemy camps gather resources, send ambushing or raiding parties(if they have res), send scouts, caravans and patrols walk on roads, villages get rich or starved based on enemy activity. You turn off game and load - well, it doesn't matter at all because camps get boost. Also you can't eradicate all enemy camps. I tried and they were to the last one but when I burn the last they soon get new camps. Still you can manage them, pushing them far away from civilization or putting between other faction camps(making them fight each other).
So sadly I was giving the Krauts too much credit about this simulation because it is but its bugged and because they couldn't see this bug or couldn't find the source they switched to this scaling system that we have now.
And yes I modified the 0.505 version(some for the testing - like whole map vision, res numbers etc), changed some items, bring back some enemies and weapons, changed some backgrounds and numbers overall, modified perk tree. Most minor changes.
But I can't find this source of sudden Resources boost into enemy camps on load.
TLDR version: So its all for naught.
ldtE3Jg.png

32pwNZ4.png

YhNFPnG.png
JCNqGda.png

Last edited:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter

Dev Blog #118: The Barbarians, Part II
Following the introduction of the barbarian faction in part one, this week we’ll take a look at the first three of their unit types and some general combat mechanics. All part of the upcoming ‘Warriors of the North’ DLC, of course. As always, keep in mind that things are still in development and may change. With that said, let’s delve in!

Thralls
Northern barbarians are not born free, but as thralls in servitude to their elders, and ultimately their tribe. They have no say on tribal matters, and they may possess only what they can carry. On occasion, members of other tribes are also accepted into thralldom, either peacefully or after being captured in battle.

It is expected that a thrall seek the respect of their master, their ancestors, and the tribe as a whole, and ultimately earn their status as a free man or woman. Indeed, young folk are considered to have reached adulthood as they become free, and to have then earned their place and say in the tribe. One way to do so, but not the only one, is to prove their worth in battle.

Thralls are the light and nimble infantry of the barbarian tribes. Clad only in furs, and sometimes with nothing but warpaint on their bare chests, armed either with weapons made from readily available materials like bone, or looted from the battlefield, they rely on ferociously overwhelming the enemy. They’re quick and agile, making ample use of the ‘Adrenaline’ skill. And having both the ‘Anticipation’ and ‘Dodge’ perks makes them harder to hit, at least until they’ve exhausted themselves after a couple of rounds.

Like all barbarian infantry, thralls have a very physical combat style of wrestling with the enemy, throwing their weight against them, and jostling to put their opponent out of balance. Their ‘Barbarian Wrath’ perk makes them fight even harder as they get hit, and the next time they land a hit of their own, they confer a status effect which for one turn knocks their target out of balance to lower their damage and defense until they have regained their footing.

Reavers
Reavers are the medium infantry of the barbarian tribes. They’re battle-hardened free men, yet not necessarily warriors by trade. Some may be bloodthirsty veterans of many battles that seek immortality through their deeds on the battlefield, and have tattoos on their skin tell the saga of their life. Others are merely hunters or craftsmen that join with the rest of the tribe to raid and ensure their survival in the upcoming winter.

Reavers are often armed with armor and weapons that have been passed down through generations and show signs of wear, but may also have claimed equipment in duels that settled disputes. Like thralls, they have an offensive and nimble combat style, but backed up with experience and skill. Like all barbarians, they don’t fear death the same as southern folk do, and so are not easily broken. They’re roughly comparable to brigand raiders, but may be more or less of a challenge, depending on your approach.

Champions
Warriors who show exceptional skill on the battlefield are said to be blessed by the ancestors, and those who also have impressive victories to show are said to eventually take a place beside the ancestors in the afterlife to watch over the tribe. These champions of the ancestors are the heavy infantry of the barbarians, and they wear weighty metal armor and heavy two-handed weapons – trophies from vanquished foes and gifts from invested elders.

Unlike thralls and reavers, champions rely on their heavy armor for defense. They can shrug off status effects more easily, and excel even when fighting against several opponents at once. Tougher enemies than any brigand, other than perhaps brigand leaders, they are mid to late game opponents.

We CHAOS right now boyz.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Will starting bros from company that has "Northern Raiders" background use same equipment and look as barbarians?
Is there any way to recruit these dudes?

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected

Dev Blog #118: The Barbarians, Part II
Following the introduction of the barbarian faction in part one, this week we’ll take a look at the first three of their unit types and some general combat mechanics. All part of the upcoming ‘Warriors of the North’ DLC, of course. As always, keep in mind that things are still in development and may change. With that said, let’s delve in!

Thralls
Northern barbarians are not born free, but as thralls in servitude to their elders, and ultimately their tribe. They have no say on tribal matters, and they may possess only what they can carry. On occasion, members of other tribes are also accepted into thralldom, either peacefully or after being captured in battle.

It is expected that a thrall seek the respect of their master, their ancestors, and the tribe as a whole, and ultimately earn their status as a free man or woman. Indeed, young folk are considered to have reached adulthood as they become free, and to have then earned their place and say in the tribe. One way to do so, but not the only one, is to prove their worth in battle.

Thralls are the light and nimble infantry of the barbarian tribes. Clad only in furs, and sometimes with nothing but warpaint on their bare chests, armed either with weapons made from readily available materials like bone, or looted from the battlefield, they rely on ferociously overwhelming the enemy. They’re quick and agile, making ample use of the ‘Adrenaline’ skill. And having both the ‘Anticipation’ and ‘Dodge’ perks makes them harder to hit, at least until they’ve exhausted themselves after a couple of rounds.

Like all barbarian infantry, thralls have a very physical combat style of wrestling with the enemy, throwing their weight against them, and jostling to put their opponent out of balance. Their ‘Barbarian Wrath’ perk makes them fight even harder as they get hit, and the next time they land a hit of their own, they confer a status effect which for one turn knocks their target out of balance to lower their damage and defense until they have regained their footing.

Reavers
Reavers are the medium infantry of the barbarian tribes. They’re battle-hardened free men, yet not necessarily warriors by trade. Some may be bloodthirsty veterans of many battles that seek immortality through their deeds on the battlefield, and have tattoos on their skin tell the saga of their life. Others are merely hunters or craftsmen that join with the rest of the tribe to raid and ensure their survival in the upcoming winter.

Reavers are often armed with armor and weapons that have been passed down through generations and show signs of wear, but may also have claimed equipment in duels that settled disputes. Like thralls, they have an offensive and nimble combat style, but backed up with experience and skill. Like all barbarians, they don’t fear death the same as southern folk do, and so are not easily broken. They’re roughly comparable to brigand raiders, but may be more or less of a challenge, depending on your approach.

Champions
Warriors who show exceptional skill on the battlefield are said to be blessed by the ancestors, and those who also have impressive victories to show are said to eventually take a place beside the ancestors in the afterlife to watch over the tribe. These champions of the ancestors are the heavy infantry of the barbarians, and they wear weighty metal armor and heavy two-handed weapons – trophies from vanquished foes and gifts from invested elders.

Unlike thralls and reavers, champions rely on their heavy armor for defense. They can shrug off status effects more easily, and excel even when fighting against several opponents at once. Tougher enemies than any brigand, other than perhaps brigand leaders, they are mid to late game opponents.

We CHAOS right now boyz.
These guys are bland, aren't they covered by Orcs? With the variety we've got now, that's ok. Night bands with long, poisoned knives who attack camps and spear flingers with high movement who can flank and fall back, like out of Tacitus' notes on early Germans, could have been a better choice than hairy orcs.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
No reason to be sorry, either way its something we've already seen. I like that we can choose a new theme to begin, but I'm meh the rest for now.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
what are the chances for a new crisis? perhaps barbarians + bandits (for ranged?)?

Murk

Arcane
TBH I'd rather they improve the current crises than introduce another one that's basically palette swap of green-skin invasion.

I think the undead one especially, given the nightmare visions and weird relationship between the commander and the necromantic surge, could do with a potential "dark option" where-in maybe you start to go a little evil for some benefits.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Really hyped about the DLC. Got Beasts & Explorations last week and just had a blast fighting Hexen.
Those crazy bitches can make you endure a lot of pain. I had no idea what to expect of them.

Btw Sarissofoi that little tip fixed my problem with the resolution in the laptop.
Sucks to anyone that doesnt have another computer to export the config.

k0syak

Cipher
Really hyped about the DLC. Got Beasts & Explorations last week and just had a blast fighting Hexen.
Those crazy bitches can make you endure a lot of pain. I had no idea what to expect of them.
expect them to drink Night Owl elixirs at night

Reinhardt

Arcane
Why would you fight them at night when you can't even pray to the god of all archers?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom