Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Starting to sound like a pyramid scheme :)

Invest now and get double back, and EPIC is currently footing the bill.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
IMHO this game will be garbage (or barely average at best) and we have been getting signals of that since they started to change things and go back on their words.
Isn't that always the case with these has-been gaming auteurs? From Romero, to Spector, to Molyneux, to the 3.3 million dollar man, etc., none have managed to get the old mojo back - mostly because they are self-serving clowns that can't do shit without a talented team behind them, but like to pretend they're the sole reason old classics are classic.

I can't quite recall any of these "old gaming legend makes a game" Kickstarter that have turned out well. The fact they went out and asked Epic to pay them for a 1-year exclusivity deal doesn't exactly inspire much confidence in their product. It feels like they're trying to squeeze out as much money as possible out of the hype train before the game launches and people realize it sucks.

passerby

Arcane
The fact they went out and asked Epic to pay them for a 1-year exclusivity deal doesn't exactly inspire much confidence in their product.

I doubt they went asking for excusivity, rather just went asking to sell on Epic and received an exclusivity offer.
They are late to the party, market is flooded with xcom likes for a while and they have deppressing, normie unfriendly setting and more hardcore mechanics, making 25% of nu XCOM sales would be a success imo.
It's possible that Epic sales projection is way higher, than their own internal projection. Gollop said it's enough to sustain the studio operation for years. If it's true and not exagerration, than it's unrealistically high to the point it's extra money they wouldn't get otherwise.
Looks like Epic is financing their next game and they'll still make half, or more of steam for profit sales they would make without yearly delay.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I recall vividly how hated Steam was even years after release. Primarily because they didn't like the idea that if Steam would go poof so would their games. Also because they were attached to physical goodies like manuals, boxes and artwork. Besides the "convenience" factor, I suspect that quite a big reason why Steam was accepted was that the new generation started playing games and didn't know any different. Older generation otoh got used to it, and started having more disposable income so the financial risk of losing their games wasn't as big.

I remember the uproar over CCTV first becoming commonplace and us (rightly) worrying about privacy issues, now those same people are all on facebook sharing every moment of every day with a GPS coordinate pinpointing their exact steps they took that day. It's just what we do now.

You're absolutely right. But it's called getting old, and the world will continue churning and burning.

I feel like an Alien, I see everyone in here moaning about epic the exact same way I moaned about Steam when it replaced won.net service. I don't use it often so it always requires an update. A small, pitiful inconsequential thing, but a piece of my soul dies everytiem.
Steam is dogshit, but of course... I don't have those old discs anymore, I don't even have a disc drive! And their cdkeys have long since dissapeared.

Vatnik Wumao
Looks like Epic is financing their next game

Epic is financing THIS game. Gollop said they'll be in black even though all backers refunded. Sweeney et al have essentially bought up Phoenix Point and now they're selling their own game, in effect, on their own store.

I think what he meant was that the advance from Epic is enough to finance this game and Gollop's future operations for the middle term. If Epic is only looking at repayments through the royalties rather than through a fixed payment plan, there is no reason for Gollop to be uptight about money for a while.

Mark Richard

Arcane

Epic is financing THIS game. Gollop said they'll be in black even though all backers refunded. Sweeney et al have essentially bought up Phoenix Point and now they're selling their own game, in effect, on their own store.
10,000 backers paid for it first. If I finance your dream to create a product and then right as the project nears completion you go behind my back to approach some corporate suit-wearing shmuck for a deal knowing you'll be ditching your obligations to me, well, that my friend is called selling out. Gollop openly said he already had the resources to release the game but approached Epic to secure post-release guarantees. He didn't want to take a risk.

GrainWetski

Arcane

10,000 backers paid for it first. If I finance your dream to create a product and then right as the project nears completion you go behind my back to approach some corporate suit-wearing shmuck for a deal knowing you'll be ditching your obligations to me, well, that my friend is called selling out. Gollop openly said he already had the resources to release the game but approached Epic to secure post-release guarantees. He didn't want to take a risk.
Stop being such Epic hat0rz, you Steamtards. If GOG and every other store has to die so Epic can soar to the place in history they deserve, so be it. Can't ruin PC gaming without breaking a few eggs.

Praise Sweeney. Praise SirGay.

Vatnik Wumao

Can someone actually read Fig's terms of investment before complaining about Gollop and Epic? You did not finance shit. You gave your money to Fig to buy their stock. Gollop does not owe anything to you or have any obligations to you. Gollop's only obligations are to Fig and whether or not he needs to share the Epic moolah with them.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
For the poor souls that recently wound up on this thread, a quick recap:

Gollop, the master legendary developer of the original X-COM, used backers and their money as a free of interest loan to kickstart his x-com style dream game that down the line wound up to look more and more kiddie friendly in a quest for finding all that much sought after commercial success and financial stability.
In a series of bait & switch tactics (as in "we never promised a true original x-com experience" per se), his latest achievement is to seek & make his game exclusively available for one year only on a platform funded by a nucommunist government (ruled by a guy who elected himself president for life) and because he doesn't want to pay the obnoxiously high 30% cut to the mobsters at Steam, he pondered heavily and said to himself "screw these entitled fucks, I want more money to make the best clone of Firaxis's xcom evah because here in Bulgaria, at the edge of civilized world where I exiled myself to cut expenses, costs are not so low afterall."

Butthurt backers around the world joined hands in their butthurtness because they want "muh gaems in one place", "Steam payed my mom's hospital bill so I am a fanboy fo' life" now wail 'betrayal!!' even though Gollop promised them free stuff as moral compensation and "interest" for their innesential money, money back (with no interest) or whores to suck their cocks + lapdance (some of them even discarding this once in their lifetime opportunity to see female genitalia!)

"GOG is my fetish" unwashed bohemians, "Chinks spy on me while I wax my shaft" paranoiacs, "I am a sovereign gamer of the planet Earth" cretins, "My life is my online achievements" dolts, "STEAM is a natural monopoly so it's not a monopoly" schizoids, "I am holier-than-thou/Gollop" self victimizing hypocrites - all these people don't really care about the game, they care more about their mimosa feelings and egos and jump at the availability to be butthurt on the internets and the game can go screw itself if their superficial needs are not met.

God forbid for them to think "well... I'll have to install that shit once, download the game and that's it but the game will benefit from it. It's not like it's an online multiplayer game and I'll have to constantly suffer from it."
Where were the refund requests when Gollop truly fucked things over? :)

Last edited:

Mustawd

Can someone actually read Fig's terms of investment before complaining about Gollop and Epic? You did not finance shit. You gave your money to Fig to buy their stock. Gollop does not owe anything to you or have any obligations to you. Gollop's only obligations are to Fig and whether or not he needs to share the Epic moolah with them.

I doubt anyone here invested in anything. You’re forgetting that Fig has investors as well as traditional crowdfunding.

People are referring to the traditional crowdfunding.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't wanna do a charge back I think.

The reviews look a bit better on this site though:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/transferwise.com?page=2
I was hesitant as well when I received the e-mail from Transferwise. But then I realized they weren't asking me for any information that isn't on every check I've ever written, and I've passed more than a few checks to businesses that are likely more questionable than Transferwise. Supposedly my money will arrive in my checking account on Monday.

I did the Transferwise stuff and got my money today.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I was hesitant as well when I received the e-mail from Transferwise. But then I realized they weren't asking me for any information that isn't on every check I've ever written, and I've passed more than a few checks to businesses that are likely more questionable than Transferwise. Supposedly my money will arrive in my checking account on Monday.

Same here. Lost about 6 bucks though.

God forbid for them to think "well... I'll have to install that shit once, download the game and that's it but the game will benefit from it. It's not like it's an online multiplayer game and I'll have to constantly suffer from it."
Yeah, it's not like you have to launch the launcher before launching the game, because the game doesn't launch otherwise. But nice try.
To be fair, Gollop sort of maybe impiled that perhaps after installing the Malware Launcher you can launch the game from the EXE and delete the Launcher if you want. But as of now, if Gollop told me the sky was blue I'd go outside to check. And then argue it's actually an unpleasant overcast shade of grey.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron

Same here. Lost about 6 bucks though.

Send snapshot support an email, something similar happened to me, apparently they're looking into it.

Mustawd

I doubt anyone here invested in anything. You’re forgetting that Fig has investors as well as traditional crowdfunding.

People are referring to the traditional crowdfunding.

cvv afaik my statement is correct. Unless you have some other source of information....

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
SPOILER_image.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom