Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Arcane
There is already a game doing this, but I forgot which one it is.

The Battletech game has it.

I just don't think the system as-is in ATOM is all that useful in any respect though. For example if you take a critical from an enemy and then his friends all take shots at you, without armor you'd basically just die. Even with armor you might die depending on how many there are. So with DR% you stand a much better chance at surviving and really if you're going to have a high DR (without the Praetorian perk) then you are basically just not dodging.

Movement contributing to dodge could help in the first turn maybe, but unfortunately the game isn't favorably disposed to movement either as most engagement are close and you are best off just shooting with your AP.
Going the full AoD route of having "dodger armor" would be the best route to go I'd think. But even then the system just isn't all that fleshed out enough. Does a high dodge number actually prevent mid-late game enemies from hitting you all that much? I'd guess the answer to that is no. Right now dodge is mostly an early game only mechanic.

Saduj

Arcane
What level are people finishing this game at?

Trying to figure out perks. Was considering the extra skill point perk but spending two perks to get there means that I won’t have the other seven perks I want until level 24.

What level are people finishing this game at?

Trying to figure out perks. Was considering the extra skill point perk but spending two perks to get there means that I won’t have the other seven perks I want until level 24.
By the end I reached level 14 I went with child prodigy trait though. That considered I didn't really ever feel like I was short on skill points to ever justify spending perk points to gain a few more every level. I suppose in the end it really depends on how low your int is but to me it feels like spending two perks is never worth it even if you reach a fairly higher level by not taking child prodigy.

Sòren

Arcane
this game is amazing. the writing is just brilliant, it's unlike anything i have seen in western rpgs. i noticed that first at dan's assignment about the three brothers and the farmers, it was so touching. and the random encounter with the guy that hid "from the sky" - i'm not sure if any other game managed to evoke such terror with such simple means.
and i enjoy the gameplay so much that i'm actually afraid of finishing it; started 4 characters already.

also felta bit sorry for killing jay bauman.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Atomboy I'm not following the thread on a regular basis so maybe you've already disclosed the figures - but how many copies did you sell? Is it enough to finance future ventures of your studio?

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
XD1Guze.png

This is clearly Douglas Pearce from DEATH IN JUNE.

0208faceb3a14ae4ab67f8f71bdc937c.jpg

Looks like my cousin, or a older brother when he was young.

Saduj

Arcane
I'm liking the game so far but now I get why I've read posts from people complaining about getting whipped in combat after the starter town. I'm almost level six. I can't kill anything. The mistake that I've made is that I've been investing in machine guns only for combat and putting most of my points in speech and other skills. My 3 Personality character was not really meant to be a talker only. But that is what he is because everything kills me. Even rats will gang up and take me down. Without being able to kill stuff, I'll never have the money to gear up. And without gearing up, I'll never be able to kill stuff.

A normal person would start over but I shall endeavor to persevere...

Theldaran

Liturgist
Oh yeah, white Russians showing who is boss.

Also this kind of studio's writing can be miles ahead of a Californian cuck's. Sorry Obsidian writers, you have been owned at your own playground.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Bought the game last night and played for an hour or so. Will be restarting later today because I wasted some skill points...

Am I right to think Lucky One and Technophobe are the best Distinctions?

The only reason I could see for not taking both is if both Technology and Tinkering are vital skills.

why even take Technophobe when u can just take Glutton and take 1 point off CON and put it on STR.
u just gotta deal with hunger...which isn't a big deal TBH once u score some kills on rats.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/552620/announcements/detail/1823302204797853438

Quality of life and new content Update 1.08
20 MAR @ 9:21PM - ATOMTEAM

163edd94ce88b75cb258794d0632847453477ec9.jpg

Hey guys!

Finally, it’s time for the big Update! We did a lot of work this time, and positive improvements have touched upon a lot of the game aspects. Playing ATOM is now genuinely more comfortable. The inventory management is easier, the interface in general is more intuitive, the follower mechanics have more options, the re-balancing of weapons made combat more dynamic and interesting, especially during the new random encounters.
And of course we added a lot of new NPCs, quests and maps for you to test all of the new features.

Here is a compact list of changes:

Quality of life improvements - your recommendations were heard and implemented in the new inventory and follower systems;
Improved English translation thanks to you, our players, and a wonderful writer Scott Hamm who worked on such titles as “Age of Decadence” and “Battle Brothers”;
Full mod support - we promised and we delivered;
Better balance and weapon stats;
Changes into the ability tree;
  • New weapons;
  • New AI features;
  • New follower settings including friendly fire settings;
  • New graphic effects;
  • New graphic elements (icons, portraits, items, in-game art);
  • New sounds for items and weapons;
  • New animations, including a special martial arts move you may learn;
  • New item with the ability to reset your stats and skills;
  • Dozens of new characters with unique dialogues, portraits and quests;
  • A quest line that can be tackled by joining any one of the two new factions;
  • New maps;
  • New random encounters;
  • Improved game stability;
  • Option to change the item highlight color;
  • New achievements;
  • Tons of bug fixes;
c71ba32799b913298dd69015e903ce2a8d5dd8a0.jpg

We really hope you enjoy playing this new version, and we’ll be eagerly awaiting your feedback.
Thank you… And let there be ATOM!

P.S.: We will write a comprehensive manual for mod makers in the near future. So stay tuned for that!

cb22438fc1652488b28c3b4c859106753797c868.jpg

853ba0b22f07d1adb763642901fb0e081555ccac.jpg

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Infinitron beat me to it, but I'm still gonna show how useful I am by adding a few more changelog thingies.

- ESC is now a PAUSE BUTTON;
- There's now Toilet Kruul in the game;
- There are now self-inserts in the game;
- GOG is on the way;

And now, time for some replies!

Can anyone recommend some accurate review of this game?
Here's a recent one from Steam you might find insightful!
Игра для старичков, которые помнят первые два фаллаута. Вот они (и я в том числе) от игры получат удовольствие. Остальным знакомиться с осторожностью.
"A game for old ones, who still member first two Fallouts. They (and I) will find pleasure in the game. Others, introduce yourself to the game with care!"
The only thing he got wrong is that part about the others. I think everyone should play ATOM especially now when you're no longer shot in the back all the time.
Where are muh patch notes Atomboy
Infinitron got it!

Atomboy I'm not following the thread on a regular basis so maybe you've already disclosed the figures - but how many copies did you sell? Is it enough to finance future ventures of your studio?
Well, I'm no money guy, but people responsible for finances and planning are sure that after ATOM we'll have at the very least enough moneys to make a giant publicly available demo and kickstart the next project. Maybe even do the whole project on our budget if the sales won't dry up completely? Not likely! But would be cool.
I'm liking the game so far but now I get why I've read posts from people complaining about getting whipped in combat after the starter town. I'm almost level six. I can't kill anything. The mistake that I've made is that I've been investing in machine guns only for combat and putting most of my points in speech and other skills. My 3 Personality character was not really meant to be a talker only. But that is what he is because everything kills me. Even rats will gang up and take me down. Without being able to kill stuff, I'll never have the money to gear up. And without gearing up, I'll never be able to kill stuff.

A normal person would start over but I shall endeavor to persevere...
Thanks man! But you're really missing out! :( So many useful people won't even talk to you! Still, might be fun to find ways around it!
Great game, the NPCs are the most funny/interesting since Torment. Is that Klinov tinfoil guy a reference to Him ?
Thanks man!
this game is amazing. the writing is just brilliant, it's unlike anything i have seen in western rpgs. i noticed that first at dan's assignment about the three brothers and the farmers, it was so touching. and the random encounter with the guy that hid "from the sky" - i'm not sure if any other game managed to evoke such terror with such simple means.
and i enjoy the gameplay so much that i'm actually afraid of finishing it; started 4 characters already.

also felta bit sorry for killing jay bauman.
Now when the dialogues are edited in the English version by Scott Hamm and an awesome codexer, I can even agree with this statement without sounding like an egomaniac! Thank you!

See you next DLC guys!

Saduj

Arcane
Thanks man! But you're really missing out! :( So many useful people won't even talk to you! Still, might be fun to find ways around it!

Well fuck. If the guy who made the game is telling me I screwed up then I might have to admit defeat and start over...

My plan was to try and fix my combat difficulties rather than to finish the game as a 3 Personality talker. I Am within 100 xp or so from level 6. If after leveling and investing in a close combat skill, I still can’t beat anything I will bite the bullet and start over.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer

Well fuck. If the guy who made the game is telling me I screwed up then I might have to admit defeat and start over...

My plan was to try and fix my combat difficulties rather than to finish the game as a 3 Personality talker. I Am within 100 xp or so from level 6. If after leveling and investing in a close combat skill, I still can’t beat anything I will bite the bullet and start over.
Have you tried hitting the wasp one time then using the rest of your AP to run away? I almost beat that game with that tactic!

Saduj

Arcane
Have you tried hitting the wasp one time then using the rest of your AP to run away? I almost beat that game with that tactic!

I haven't tried kiting since I got Fidel. I don't want to leave him behind because he only seems to gain XP through combat. I'll try changing his tactical setting to running away and then maybe I can kite the circus rats or roaring forest spiders.....

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You can change stance mid combat. Also if you want to improve combat performance buy sweet cakes and Onions for DEX/END buff. Every buff stacks twice so the +2 can make an impact.

Companions can also be fed prior to fighting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom